We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Phylogeny of Malphighiaceae: Tracing the Ancestry of Caapi Options

SnozzleBerry
#1 Posted : 8/4/2010 7:16:10 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

So, after reading in several places that the genetic origin of Caapi is unknown, I have begun to do some research. I came across this tidbit, which essentially confirms (at least as of 10 years ago) that no one knows what the biological family Caapi is in (Malphighiaceae) descended from.

Quote:
On the one hand, derived features shared by all malpighs easily set the family apart from other rosid families as an undisputedly monophyletic unit. On the other hand, these synapomorphies have made difficult the assessment of sister-group relationships of the family (Cronquist, 1981 ). This contrast has, likewise, impaired the study of phylogenetic relationships within the family and construction of a satisfactory classification system. As seen in other angiosperm families such as Orchidaceae (Dodson, 1962 ), extreme diversification driven by strong selection from environmental, dispersal, and pollinator pressures has also led to high levels of homoplasy among morphological characters in the malpighs. For these reasons, we believe that nearly every classification of Malpighiaceae has been plagued by recognition of almost certainly para- and/or polyphyletic subfamilies, tribes, subtribes, and even genera (Anderson, 1981 ).

I find it very interesting how many of these ethnobotanical plants seem to either propagate poorly from seed, have mysterious origins, or are otherwise anomalous in any number of botanical categories.

I was curious if anyone had any information or ideas as to where to look. I'm currently trolling through various e-journals and the like, but there is not much useful information. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I will post any and all relevant files/information I come across in this thread. Obviously it came from somewhere...but if there's no relevant information as to where it came from (or at least no information relevant to terrestrial plants) in its genetics...Shocked

thanks
SB
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

jbark
#2 Posted : 8/4/2010 7:32:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well, "ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny" so I would start by trying to track down this Mr Ontogeny guy - he'd probably have a fairly good idea. Then again he's likely to give you some crap about the veins in the leaves resembling the nervous systems of certain Reptilia Squamata and arriving at the conclusion that lizards are directly descended from lizards, or worse, vice versa. Or, even worse, but compelling nonetheless, that caapi is descended from the lymbic system of a Reptilia Squamata strain.

Personally I think Caapi hails from the planet Banisteriopsis, a little known oxygenated world in the ursehole mine-aura galaxy.

Just my canadian 2.3 cents worth

JBArk the phylanderer
JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.