We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
SRI + MAOI, How big is the risk? Options

State of the Mind
#1 Posted : 7/30/2010 3:52:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have been wanting to experiment with caapi for a long time now. However it has been the combination of SSRI & MAOI (Causing Serotonin syndrome) that has stopped me from ever trying caapi or any other MAOI entheogens.

I take Sceletium tortuosum normally every other day. One of the active alkaloids in Sceletium Tortuosum is Mesembrine, which is a Serotonin reuptake inhibitor. I realise that a Serotonin reuptake inhibitor is different to SSRI, however they seem incredibly similar in my eyes. The combination of an SSRI with an MAOI is said to cause Serotonin syndrome. The quote is posted below:

Wikipidia wrote:
One major contraindication of SSRIs is the concomitant use of MAOIs (monoamine oxidase inhibitors). This is likely to cause severe serotonin syndrome/toxidrome.

I would like to know if anyone else has any information about how dangerous this combination is and also how much time to put in between using caapi and Sceletium Tortuosum.

All of my knowledge has been accumulated from wikipidia and it would be nice to hear someone's real life knowledge of this. Smile
People spend their lives searching for perfect moments and fail to see, that there are many unappreciated perfect moments everyday that are overlooked.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

acolon_5
#2 Posted : 7/30/2010 5:25:49 PM

The Great Namah

The risk appears to be real.

I can't say for sure, as I don't know the 1/2 life of all the SRIs in kanna (of which Mesembrine is probably only the most abundant / most potent), but I would stop the kanna for AT LEAST 1-2 weeks before ingesting a full MAO inhibiting dose of ANY MAOI.

The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

corpus callosum
#3 Posted : 7/30/2010 6:52:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

The risk of this combination is such that here in the UK a MAOI would not be commenced for two weeks after coming off an SSRI. MAOIs are used to treat depression here but only in patients who havent responded to the tricyclics,SSRIs or SNRIs.

I would heed this advice for as Acolon_5 stated the hazards are indeed real.
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

State of the Mind
#4 Posted : 8/2/2010 4:27:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Well, one thing I must note is that whenever I have been smoking Sceletium Tortuosum, I have been smoking it with Passionflower, a weak MAOI. Hadn't thought anything of it until I read up about serotonin syndrome. I have had no bad effects from this. I believe the MAOI potential in Passionflower is just too weak.

I have decided to refrain from using Sceletium Tortuosum for 2 weeks. It will be nice to stop using, as I have been dependant on it for nearly two months. After these 2 weeks, I plan on trying Ayahuasca.

Cheers for the input, callosum & Acolon. Very happy Very happy Very happy
People spend their lives searching for perfect moments and fail to see, that there are many unappreciated perfect moments everyday that are overlooked.

proto-pax
#5 Posted : 8/12/2010 8:10:57 AM

bird-brain

From what I just read on wikipedia it seems that the maois are the same in cappi and passion flower. Still, I wouldn't suggest it until you're sure that the ssri is out of your system.
blooooooOOOOOooP fzzzzzzhm KAPOW!
This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking.
Grow a plant or something and meditate on that