We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
MAOI/RIMA and medications? Options

bluecurry
#1 Posted : 7/12/2010 3:27:14 AM
DMT-Nexus member

So I take a few medications (ie, nexium, zyrtec, occasionally poppy pod tea) and I was wondering about how long I would have to abstain from these very much necessary medicines before and after an ayahuasca experience.

I will be utilizing THH and Harmine as my RIMA/MAOI source in a 3:1 ratio (150mg:50mg).

I know THH is relatively short acting, I am not so sure about harmine.

Any help is much appreciated!

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

corpus callosum
#2 Posted : 7/12/2010 5:50:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

Nexium ie esomeprazole-no interactions with MAOIs.

If you mean Zirtek ie cetirizine-using this whilst on a MAOI can cause increased sedation and anti-muscarinic effects like dry mouth, urinary retention, dilated pupils.I would advise taking none of this for 48-72 hours pre and post your mission.

Poppy tea-MAOIs, especially RIMAs can cause central nervous system excitation or depression with opiates/oids and it is advisable to avoid this for 2 weeks after taking your RIMA and avoid concomitant use.

Hope this helps!
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

bluecurry
#3 Posted : 7/12/2010 6:34:37 AM
DMT-Nexus member

That was very useful, thank you very much!

I've reduced my PT dose over the past 14 days so I'll be able to be clean without having to deal with minor W/D's during my journey later this week. I haven't used any for 2 days and it will about 5 when I trip so it should be out of my system enough.

Do you happen to how long RIMA's can interact with other drugs? I know you mention avoiding PT for up to 2 weeks post-experience, is this more for a spiritual and psychological purpose or is this so because the MAO's take that long to fully come back to power.

I know MAOI's makes it take a long time for those MAO's to be regenerated, but for RIMA's, especially the naturally sourced ones, there is very little data I can seem to find on duration and power of inhibition...

corpus callosum
#4 Posted : 7/12/2010 7:51:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

RIMAs interacting with other drugs?Im sure I could advise you but when you say 'other drugs', which ones in particular do you mean?
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

Eden
#5 Posted : 7/12/2010 1:26:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have a friend who is medicated but can't try changa because I have advised him not to due to standard MAOI + SSRI reactions. I have no idea if RIMAs have the same impact but I'm erring on the side of caution. There is very little information on this and I don't believe anyone is eager to do any assays.

Two weeks is a good guidline for an SSRI flush. Safe journeys Smile

bluecurry
#6 Posted : 7/13/2010 12:53:45 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
So I take a few medications (ie, nexium, zyrtec, occasionally poppy pod tea)

I was just curious why you would say avoid the zyrtec for 48-72 hours pre and post but would advise against poppy tea for up to 2 weeks post experience?

I have a practical application for my use, it's not just for pleasure alone.

corpus callosum
#7 Posted : 7/13/2010 5:46:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

Let me clarify:

The 'rule' for avoiding opioids/opiates for 2 weeks after MAO inhibition is an ideal and is more relevant to those MAOIs which work on types A AND B; harmala alkaloids are potent inhibitors of A in a reversible fashion but studies on their effects on type B have concluded they are 'poor' inhibitors here.This implies that they do have an action on type B albeit very minimal.So, in order to promote 'good exploratory practiseVery happy Very happy ' I have reiterated the 2 week-rule.In reality you probably wouldnt have to wait the full 2 weeks for your papaver brew but I couldnt advise you accurately how soon after your MAO inhibition you could indulge safely.