We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
No yields from first lazyman pull Options

Global
#1 Posted : 7/2/2010 8:33:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Music, LSDMT, Egyptian Visions, DMT: Energetic/Holographic Phenomena, Integration, Trip Reports

SWIM attempted his first extraction using roughly powdered 420g MMHRB (this number, believe it or not was completely arbitrary, and SWIM didn't realize till now, the slight humor), an unknown, but decent amount of potassium hydroxide/water mix from Pequa drain cleaner (reports indicate 45% potassium hydroxide/55% water). He let the mimosa sit in the bowl with the KOH solution for 1.5 hrs, making sure it was as uniform as possible. He then added 355 ml naptha and slowly stirred for .5 hrs. He then poured off the naptha layer quite successfully without any of the dark liquid into the glass dish, and used a relatively powerful fan to aid in the evaporation. There were virtually no yields from this first pull. I now realize Norman's tek might have been more useful, but that aside, what can he do to salvage the situation? A yellow film was practically all that remained on the glass dish, with very little, and certainly not solid matter scattered about, bearing no resemblance to crystals.
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind" - Albert Einstein

"The Mighty One appears, the horizon shines. Atum appears on the smell of his censing, the Sunshine- god has risen in the sky, the Mansion of the pyramidion is in joy and all its inmates are assembled, a voice calls out within the shrine, shouting reverberates around the Netherworld." - Egyptian Book of the Dead

"Man fears time, but time fears the Pyramids" - 9th century Arab proverb

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

RigelL
#2 Posted : 7/2/2010 5:36:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey gobalswg

Assuming you bought the plant material from a legit supplier and if you have no idea of the amount of base you have your MHRB maybe you should check the pH of the solution... Maybe it is not high enough to extract the DMT freebase from the plant material (i´m no expert but from what i´ve studied from all the teks should be 13 or higher, like this it is also difficult to form emulsions). If that is ok, try to warm bathe the container in wich you have the Naptha/basified solution/MHRB to see if you can get the spice to solubilize in the naphta, then let it cool, pull the naphta and perhaps try a freeze precip, like that you can see if there are xtrals or not before the evap Pleased
The yellowish film probably is DMT-n-oxid, is it oil like?
And i know how dissapointing it is to look in the end and have nothing to "show" for it but don´t worry cause with 420 gr you are bound to have something there!

Hope you do a great next pull Very happy

It is no measure of health to be adjusted to a profundly sick society
Learning how to walk the earth respectfully

Global
#3 Posted : 7/2/2010 6:21:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Music, LSDMT, Egyptian Visions, DMT: Energetic/Holographic Phenomena, Integration, Trip Reports

SWIM knows the plant is legit because SWIM made some pretty potent ayahuasca from the same batch a couple weeks back that was quite psychedelic. SWIM will take your advice, and let you know what happens. And also yes, the yellow stuff is oily. Is that good?
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind" - Albert Einstein

"The Mighty One appears, the horizon shines. Atum appears on the smell of his censing, the Sunshine- god has risen in the sky, the Mansion of the pyramidion is in joy and all its inmates are assembled, a voice calls out within the shrine, shouting reverberates around the Netherworld." - Egyptian Book of the Dead

SnozzleBerry
#4 Posted : 7/2/2010 6:29:23 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

What color is your aqueous basified mhrb solution? If it's not jet black it's like a weak rhythm section; it needs more base Wink
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

RigelL
#5 Posted : 7/2/2010 7:09:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The oilly substance either is impure DMT or DMT-n-Oxide, if there is a lot of it you can always try to re-crystalize and see if crystals do form =)
This should give you an idea on how to proceed
The Nexian DMT Handbook
Take a look on nº4 Pleased

RigelL
#6 Posted : 7/2/2010 7:48:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
If that is ok, try to warm bathe the container in wich you have the Naptha/basified solution/MHRB to see if you can get the spice to solubilize in the naphta, then let it cool, pull the naphta and perhaps try a freeze precip, like that you can see if there are xtrals or not before the evap Wink

I should however warn you with this you might also extract some impure DMT, other alkaloids, pigments, ... This can be resulved with purification i guess.
You can more reliably just heat up the NPS before adding to your MHRB solution.

SnozzleBerry
#7 Posted : 7/2/2010 7:52:43 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

RigelL wrote:
Quote:
If that is ok, try to warm bathe the container in wich you have the Naptha/basified solution/MHRB to see if you can get the spice to solubilize in the naphta, then let it cool, pull the naphta and perhaps try a freeze precip, like that you can see if there are xtrals or not before the evap Wink

I should however warn you with this you might also extract some impure DMT, other alkaloids, pigments, ... This can be resulved with purification i guess.
You can more reliably just heat up the NPS before adding to your MHRB solution.

Heating the solvent vs heating the jug doesn't really make a difference if the net temperature reached is the same. That is, when you heat the naptha up but don't heat the jug, the overall temperature is most likely going to be lower than if you heat the entire jug, and thus pull less fats and oils. If you heat your naptha up incredibly hot it will be more akin to heatbathing the entire jug. Honestly, either way it doesn't matter as you'll most likely have to do a re-x for a "pure" product whichever method you choose.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

RigelL
#8 Posted : 7/2/2010 10:23:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Humm let me respectfully disagree with you on this one, warming the naphta pulls a lot less of other substances then warming the whole jar... Unfortunally i speak with experience on this one. I am doing two extractions at the same time, following both following the same tek. For the third pull of both i have decided in heathing the solvent, but in one i have warmed the solvent prior to adding to the MHRB solution, and on the other i have given a hot beth to the hole jar (MHRB/NaOH solution/naphta) and in the first case i rendered yellow spice and as the second case goes i still dunno what i have got but i can garantee you the naphta solution is saturated with tannins and probably a LOT of other stuff two (i am currently evaping a little bit of it and will later freeze precip)- but i guess it is my fault as i have left it too much time on the hot water.
Actually have to post this in the forum to know if anybody as any idea on what happ here Razz - my naphta is really red/ocre...
RigelL attached the following image(s):
red naphta.jpg (11kb) downloaded 109 time(s).

SnozzleBerry
#9 Posted : 7/2/2010 11:18:09 PM

omnia sunt communia!

I don't think you fully understood what I was saying. Net temperature, the temperature average between your mhrb solution and solvent is what matters. In the case of heatbathing your whole jar, im willing to guess you got it as hot as you make your naptha (or close), and yes, that would pull many more impurities. However if you heatbathe the whole shebang to a lower temp and use room temp naptha(so that it is akin, or has the same net temperature as a mix of very hot naptha and relatively cool basified mhrb solution) you will find it makes no difference whatsoever.

peace
SB
WikiAttitudeFAQ
גם זה יעבור

RigelL
#10 Posted : 7/2/2010 11:31:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

OOps! My bad Razz i did undestood you poorly! With that i do agree in full =)
Decided not to go with freeze precip on my "stuff" and just evaping it... It´s forming A LOT of dark residue. let´s wait and see what comes out of there Razz
Stay safe

Global
#11 Posted : 7/3/2010 2:43:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I keep on reading how the n-oxides are a main result of overheating, but being that SWIM used no outside heating source, and used a fan, I'm unsure as to why virtually no crystals formed. When SWIM pulls the second extraction, should he use the fan or let it evaporate more slowly?

SnozzleBerry
#12 Posted : 7/3/2010 3:22:36 AM

omnia sunt communia!

From your description, it didn't sound like you pulled much, if anything, that's why I asked about the color of your aqueous basified mhrb initially. What color is it (or do you know how high the pH was when you pulled)? If you pulled a significant amount, I highly doubt it would be only in the form of oily n-oxide with no xtals whatsoever.

Additionally, a fan will oxidize dmt, that's precisely how I turn my white-clear crystals to yellow-clear. It doesn't melt them into goo or prevent crystals from forming. Even when you evap with no freeze and use a fan you should get small powdery xtals.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
גם זה יעבור

acolon_5
#13 Posted : 7/3/2010 6:29:52 AM

The Great Namah

I'm guessing your base is to low. Jet black, not grey, but BLACK like oil.
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

Global
#14 Posted : 7/3/2010 3:37:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM tried another extraction, allowing the base to sit with the Mimosa for close to 10 hours, added 355 ml of naptha, stirred slowly for 30 minutes and then let sit for another hour. When he poured it off into a glass tray, he put it in the freezer this time to do a freeze precipitate and let it sit overnight. This morning there were in fact crystals. He poured off the naptha into one container, and then as he tried to scrape up the crystals into another, they just melted. I've read about this melting in the extraction teks and the FAQ, but I just can't seem to figure out a good way to get them out of the tray, and without melting. SWIM tries to use a rubber spatula, but it just sticks to the spatula, and if he uses his hands, they just melt right onto the hand, making them irrecoverable.

Global
#15 Posted : 7/3/2010 8:15:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Two things to address regarding color. The color of the original pre-powdered root-bark that was also used to successfully make ayahuasca was mostly this pinkish color. Also the crystals that keep on melting before SWIM's eyes are pure white.

RigelL
#16 Posted : 7/3/2010 10:18:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You have to allow the xtals to dry before attempting to manipulate them. Cause if there are even very very low amounts of solvent along with them, as soon as the solvent starts heating up back to room temp, your crystals will redissolve onto it. And if you r messing around with them, wilst they´re not dry, you r just speeding up the process .

Global
#17 Posted : 7/4/2010 6:48:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Unfortunately SWIM has come to realize this the hard way. It's just difficult to find an efficient and effective means of drying them for SWIM

endlessness
#18 Posted : 7/4/2010 6:55:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Remember to check the FAQ