We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
A low dose of nutmeg oil - much nicer than expected Options

69ron
#1 Posted : 6/26/2010 4:13:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Alright so SWIM has been curious about nutmeg since he was a teenager 100s of years ago (or so it seems) and has finally decided to give nutmeg a second try. His first experience was with powder and he got no effects at all. This time he used nutmeg oil, a small dose of 0.25 ml.

Now SWIM read people saying that nutmeg oil is active at 2-5 ml, others say 1-3 ml, etc., so SWIM decided to start low at 0.25 ml.

It’s been 1:30 hours and the effects are very noticeable. Actually the effects began 15 minutes after taking the oil. I don't think it peaked yet.

Right now SWIM feels the following effects:

* Euphoria similar to elemi oil, mescaline, etc., but different, softer, smoother, not as electric.
* Some sort of mild mental psychedelic effect is felt, a very slight fuzzy feeling in the mind. The mind is relaxed.
* It’s neither simulating nor sedating, it’s sort of both. It’s hard to explain.
* There’s something very unique about it. It feels “FAT”, and “SOFT”. I don’t know how to better describe the feeling.

So far it’s unlike anything SWIM has ever experienced. There seems to be more mental effects than elemi oil, and it doesn’t really feel like elemi oil to SWIM.

So far SWIM likes it. There are no side effects at this dose. It probably hasn’t peaked yet. I’ll update this report a little later.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

69ron
#2 Posted : 6/26/2010 6:34:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It's been 4 hours. The effects seemed to peak after about 3 hours. Now it feels more like elemi oil. The fuzzy feeling and other unusual mental effects of the nutmeg seem to be subsiding. I believe the myristicin present is no longer very active.

From what I’ve read, the duration of myristicin is directly related to how much you take. If you take enough, it can last nearly 2 days. I don’t know how accurate that is.

SWIM was expecting the elemicin to be more evident in the onset and the myristicin to be more evident after it peaked, but in this test it seems like it’s the opposite. I don’t know the effects of myristicin on its own, so this is just as assumption for now.

All in all, this was pleasant at this dose, and definitely a socially friendly experience. This is one SWIM will probably be repeating in the near future. The dose wasn’t high enough to get a real feel for the experience. Next time SWIM will increase the dosage.

SWIM is going to make some coffee and see if there’s any potentiation or synergy with it as there is with elemi oil.

I’ll update this post later.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

69ron
#3 Posted : 6/26/2010 8:46:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The coffee very noticeably boosted the effects of the nutmeg oil within about 15 minutes after drinking it. The boost is very nice.

It’s been 6:00 hours since taking the nutmeg oil. The effects are still pretty noticeable. After drinking the coffee there were some very slight visual effects present. They are different than elemi oil visuals, more mushroom-like, but very mild.

It seems like the peak is stretched out quite a bit. With a similar dose of elemi oil, at this point the effects would have subsided quite a lot. The nutmeg oil’s peak is definitely lasting longer. At this point it feels a lot like elemi oil. I wonder if the myristicin is somehow prolonging the effects of the elemicin?

Anyway, at this point it’s very clear that elemicin is a major player in the effects of nutmeg oil at this dose. Except for the first few hours, which are very different from elemi oil, the rest of the experience is very similar. Maybe at higher doses the myristicin will start showing its character more?

jbark
#4 Posted : 6/26/2010 2:15:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for posting this. Let us know when you try a larger dose!

Where did you get the nutmeg oil? the elemi oil?

Cheers,

JBArk
JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.

69ron
#5 Posted : 6/26/2010 5:56:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The nutmeg oil is from Myristica fragrans grown in Indonesia. The elemi oil is from Canarium luzonicum grown in the Philippines. They were both purchased locally.

It’s been 15 hours since SWIM took the nutmeg oil and the effects are still present after waking up this morning. It definitely lasts longer than elemi oil, although after the peak it feels a lot like elemi oil. I’m very curious why it feels so much like elemi oil after the peak, but last so much longer. If it was elemi oil, the effects would have been gone after about 8 hours, but it’s been 15 hours and the effects are still very noticeable. I wonder which compound SWIM is currently feeling from the nutmeg. I would assume it’s elemicin, because that’s the only psychedelic elemi oil and nutmeg oil share, that I’m aware of, but elemicin only lasts about 8 hours, and this is still going strong after 15 hours. Is this actually myristicin SWIM is feeling now and not elemicin? Are they that similar in effects at a low dose?

There are still minor visuals, and drinking coffee in the morning is boosting the visuals. It’s nice. SWIM slept for just a few hours and feels fully rested.

There is no “stoned” feeling present. Others have said that nutmeg produces a marijuana-like effect. SWIM used to be a very serious marijuana addict and doesn’t find this effect to be anything at all like marijuana. It’s way more like LSD than marijuana, at least at this low dose. But maybe at higher doses it starts becoming similar to marijuana.

69ron
#6 Posted : 6/27/2010 11:45:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

UPDATE

After 33 hours, the effects are still present! Nutmeg oil clearly lasts many times longer than elemi oil. Elemi oil only lasts about 8 hours. So far it's lasted over 4 times longer. SWIM still has light visual effects. They are mild though. If he stares at anything for a little too long visual warping is evident.

While it's VERY PLEASANT, this lingering effect could be a problem in some cases. Fortunately, it was taken on Friday so all the effects should be cleared up by Monday, I hope.

Other than the fact that it lasts so long, this is pretty nice actually. I am very surprised.

Nutmeg oil must be much better than whole nutmeg or nutmeg powder. It's clearly psychedelic at 0.25 ml, and there are no side effects felt.

SWIM is going to try using 4 tablespoons of passionflower with it in a moment. I hope the combination is nice.

polytrip
#7 Posted : 6/27/2010 2:19:08 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
Maybe free-basing myristicin would, like with free-base cocaine, give a more intense experience that at the same time has a shorter duration?

Dorge
#8 Posted : 6/27/2010 7:35:07 PM

Chen Cho Dorge

very interesting... would you say the effects ( not duration) is stronger then Elemi?
Dorge is cooperatively owned and cooperatively run by various hyperspacial entities working as a collabertive sentience project for the betterment of sentient exploration.

Offical Changa web sitehttp://changa.esotericpharma.org/

jbark
#9 Posted : 6/27/2010 7:37:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The duration is a definite drawback for me - if it gets unpleasant, hold on to your pants!! Can't imagine roughly 36 hours of trying to divert a bad experience...

JBArk
JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.

69ron
#10 Posted : 6/27/2010 8:52:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This morning the effects are gone. The passionflower tried last night was taken too late, SWIM fell asleep right after drinking it, so I can’t say if it did much to the trip or not.

polytrip wrote:
Maybe free-basing myristicin would, like with free-base cocaine, give a more intense experience that at the same time has a shorter duration?

It’s not possible to freebase it because it’s not an alkaloid.

Dorge wrote:
very interesting... would you say the effects ( not duration) is stronger then Elemi?

It’s roughly the same potency. The effects are different though. While after the peak it becomes more like elemi oil, the visuals are still very different. The effects on the mind are also more noticeable, I think.

jbark wrote:
The duration is a definite drawback for me - if it gets unpleasant, hold on to your pants!! Can't imagine roughly 36 hours of trying to divert a bad experience...

JBArk

Yeah, the duration is a big drawback. It’s one of the reason’s SWIM has put off trying nutmeg for a very long time.

With most people saying a trip starts with 1 ml-2 ml, SWIM thought that 0.25 ml would be extremely light and only last a day. But he was wrong. Even at that low dose it still lasted a very long time, at least 36 hours.

With nutmeg oil being roughly the same potency as elemi oil, SWIM’s dose is on the very low side. I think SWIM is more sensitive to these oils than most people are, and that’s why others who try elemi oil are not getting decent effects from it. They try a dose SWIM uses, and it does nothing to them. Based on other reports of nutmeg oil use, I think 0.25 ml of nutmeg oil would probably do little or nothing at all for most people, but for SWIM it’s a decent dose with very obvious psychedelic effects.

Whenever you see SWIM quoting a dose he uses, always remember that SWIM normally requires much smaller doses of psychedelics to feel them compared with most other people.

With elemi oil, 0.25 ml is a very decent dose for SWIM (especially when cleaned using the Triple E tech). It’s likely that most people will need 2-4 times as much to feel elemi oil.

This experience, except for the duration, was very nice. I would put it up there with LSD, mescaline, mushrooms, bufotenine, 5-MeO-DMT, ayahuasca, and elemi oil. It’s a unique experience, one worth repeating for sure. SWIM enjoyed the entire experience, but the duration is too long.

Judging by the fascinating psychedelic mental effects felt at such a small dose, I imagine if you took too much, nutmeg oil has the potential to SERIOUSLY KICK YOUR ASS, probably as bad as 5-MeO-DMT and LSD can. I don’t think elemi oil has that potential, because it has almost no mental effects.

I can imagine a bad trip on nutmeg oil, even without any side effects (most people experience far fewer side effects with the oil compared with the powder) would be an intense experience. If you’re having a bad trip, you might be stuck in that bad trip for 2 days. But then, if you’re having a great trip like SWIM had, you’ll be enjoying it for 2 days. Either way, you need to put aside a few days for the experience. That makes it more inconvenient than mescaline.

Both elemi oil and nutmeg oil contain myrcene, which is a very potent sedative. They contain roughly the same amount of it too. So larger doses are going to be sedating, foggy, etc., just like elemi oil. This is unfortunate. I don’t think the Triple E tech will work with nutmeg oil like it does with elemi oil, because it should also remove the myristicin and safrole, making the nutmeg oil lose a lot of its psychoactives.

The bottom line is that both of these oils are absolutely psychedelic, but the myrcene and other crap present in the oils will mess up the trip at larger doses. That makes them great low dose psychedelics, but not so great high does psychedelics on their own. A cleanup needs to be done to both of them. Myrcene is a very potent sedative and unfortunately it’s active in the levels of oil used to trip. It needs to be removed. Since the Triple E tech will probably not work well for nutmeg oil, SWIM is going to look into other possible ways of removing myrcene from nutmeg oil, so that a larger dose can be taken without experiencing the withdrawn sedative effects these oils have at larger doses.

Before this experience, SWIM would never have considered nutmeg oil to be something worth trying. About 90% of the nutmeg trip reports I’ve read are not that pleasant. The experience SWIM had was very pleasant. MANY PEOPLE SAY NUTMEG OIL HAS LESS SIDE EFFECTS THAN WHOLE NUTMEG OR NUTMEG POWDER. So while 90% of the nutmeg trip reports look unpleasant, about 95% of them are not based on nutmeg oil. Most of the reports I’ve seen that were specifically based on nutmeg oil have been actually pretty good trip reports. There must be some toxin in the nut that’s not in the oil, which accounts for this. I’ve also heard many people say the oil is more psychedelic than the nut. I think maybe the nut contains something the oil lacks that counteracts the psychedelic effects a little.

Anyway, I highly recommend trying a low dose of the oil. It was a great experience, nothing at all remotely like the hellish trips I’ve read about on Erowid. There were NO SIDE EFFECTS felt at all. It was 100% pleasant. The effects were nice, euphoric, psychedelic, smooth, and very unique. It was similar to elemi oil, but the visual were more like shrooms, and there were more mental effects, and it lasted over 4 times as long.

jamie
#11 Posted : 6/27/2010 9:07:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

The "stoned" feeling I talked about was not a stone like cannabis..it was a long time ago but it was different from cannabis..hard to explain..I also had minor visual shifting and a dstonct watery like look to things..i remember really noticing this while looking a a tile floor in a restaunt..but this was nutmeg tea, not oil..if that makes any difference and was a long time ago..maybe I will get some oil..

Long live the unwoke.

69ron
#12 Posted : 6/27/2010 9:42:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The single time SWIM tried nutmeg powder, it did NOTHING. I don’t remember the dose, but it was a lot. SWIM thought, if it doesn’t work at such a large dose, forget it, it’s not worth ingesting more. I like the taste of nutmeg, but the massive amount of power SWIM ingested was unpleasant, and he got nothing out of it, so he gave up on it thinking nutmeg being psychedelic was just another myth. That was a long time ago when SWIM was a teenager. The nutmeg powder used was dry, old, and probably pretty much inactive because of that.

From what others have said, nutmeg oil is more consistent in potency and more psychedelic then the nuts. In all of the reports I’ve read, most said they preferred the effects of the oil over the effects of the nuts, and none said they preferred the nuts. I didn’t read anything about either one being more “stoning” though. Most say the nuts are more toxic, with more side effects.

The definition of “stoned” is loosely used by many to describe a lot of things. For me it means the effects of marijuana specifically. I keep reading things like “it felt like a mix of pot and ecstasy”. This pops up a lot. Many reports say it made them feel “stoned” similar to marijuana. In SWIM’s experience this was not the case. There was nothing remotely similar to marijuana in the experience.

Now I have read that some batches of nutmeg are more “stoning” and others are more “LSD-like”, and others are more toxic feeling.

Like any plant matter, nutmeg’s compounds are going to vary to a certain degree. My belief is that the LSD-like effect is from the elemicin. The “stoning” effect is from the myrcene mixed with the myristicin, and the toxic feelings are from the other compounds.

Myrcene is a potent sedative, and is slightly psychoactive on its own. Myrcene is used to potentiate the effects of THC. I’m betting if the nutmeg is high in myrcene and myristicin, you’ll probably get the “stoned” feeling a lot of reports talk about.

Supposedly elemicin is extremely heat stable and easily survives the steam distillation process, so it’s possible that nutmeg nuts contain more myrcene and myristicin than the oil does. That could help explain why the oil is often said to be more psychedelic than the nuts.

jbark
#13 Posted : 6/27/2010 10:08:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

69ron wrote:
The nutmeg oil is from Myristica fragrans grown in Indonesia. The elemi oil is from Canarium luzonicum grown in the Philippines. They were both purchased locally.

At an herbal/health food store?

JBArk

polytrip
#14 Posted : 6/27/2010 10:15:34 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I get the impression that the effects of nutmeg itself are very different for each person and with each batch of nutmeg.

When i was a kid, i experimented a lot with it.
I found the effects somewhat simmilar to cannabis, or at least more in the direction of cannabis than of LSD or shrooms.

The main difference with cannabis for me, was the slight feeling as if you're floating, that i always got from it.

I never had visual effects like with the typical hallucinogens. The visual effects where more like i get from a high dose of oral cannabis wich is: objects seem to 'breathe' or to vibrate at a low frequency. Oral cannabis also gives me stroboscope-like vision.
These are about the same visual effects i got from nutmeg.

On most occasions nutmeg gave me a sedated feeling, but on some it actually gave a slight sense of stimulation.
I think that besides the batch of nutmeg, there may have been other factors in play, like circumstances: i once took nutmeg before i went to a party for instance, and i felt very stimulated at that time. Maybe the environmental factors triggered the stimulating effects of it more than the sedating effects then.

I never considered nutmeg itself as a high quality psychedelic. maybe the oil is different, but i think that this is only the case with low doses.

All of the psychedelic's i consider the high-quality ones, are able to give real mystical, spiritual, life-changing experiences.

Based on my experience with nutmeg i find it hard to believe that nutmeg oil can truly compete in this regard with mescalin, shrooms, LSD or even a high dose of oral cannabis. I now that it can be possible based on all you say on the ration between the different compounds in it.

But since these compounds are mostly simmilar with MDMA and the other MDxx's, i have the impression that the effects of them never will go beyond a certain level.

A low dose of mescaline is very simmilar to a low dose of MDMA, but in higher doses mescaline can get you to places that can never be reached by MDMA, MDEA or MDA.

I suspect that this will not be much different with nutmeg oil.

I actually liked XTC, the times i used it. But i consider it an inferiour substance even to LSD or a high dose of oral cannabis, let alone ayahuasca, mescaline, shrooms or DMT.

I also would be carefull with the side-effects of these substances. It could very well be that like with frequent use of cannabis, or more apropriate MDA or MDMA, it eventually drains you.

69ron
#15 Posted : 6/27/2010 10:34:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

polytrip wrote:
I never had visual effects like with the typical hallucinogens. The visual effects where more like i get from a high dose of oral cannabis wich is: objects seem to 'breathe' or to vibrate at a low frequency. Oral cannabis also gives me stroboscope-like vision.
These are about the same visual effects i got from nutmeg.

I think you and SWIM are hardwired differently.

SWIM got mushroom style visuals from the nutmeg oil. He gets LSD-style visuals from elemi oil.

SWIM has never gotten any visual effects from marijuana other than color enhancement and some odd smoothing effects and flattening of the 3D world, no matter the dose or type of marijuana. He smoked marijuana for many years daily, so tolerance may be part of that.

polytrip wrote:
I never considered nutmeg itself as a high quality psychedelic. maybe the oil is different, but i think that this is only the case with low doses.

All of the psychedelic's i consider the high-quality ones, are able to give real mystical, spiritual, life-changing experiences.

Based on my experience with nutmeg i find it hard to believe that nutmeg oil can truly compete in this regard with mescalin, shrooms, LSD or even a high dose of oral cannabis. I now that it can be possible based on all you say on the ration between the different compounds in it.

But since these compounds are mostly simmilar with MDMA and the other MDxx's, i have the impression that the effects of them never will go beyond a certain level.

A low dose of mescaline is very simmilar to a low dose of MDMA, but in higher doses mescaline can get you to places that can never be reached by MDMA, MDEA or MDA.

I suspect that this will not be much different with nutmeg oil.

Please don’t get my intended meaning wrong. SWIM has never taken a high dose of nutmeg oil. He’s only used it 1 time at 0.25 ml. So I can’t say anything in regards to a high dose nutmeg oil experience. At the dose used it was in the same boat as LSD, mushrooms, and the rest. Just as nice. But it was a low dose, on par with a low dose of LSD.

LSH is also on par with LSD at a low dose, but a high dose is unpleasant. Just because a low dose is as good as LSD, doesn’t mean a high dose is.

69ron
#16 Posted : 6/27/2010 10:37:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

jbark wrote:
69ron wrote:

At an herbal/health food store?

JBArk

Yes. Just make sure its 100% pure therapeutic grade. That’s the only kind of nutmeg oil approved for use in food. If it doesn’t say 100% pure therapeutic grade on the bottle, DO NOT USE IT.

polytrip
#17 Posted : 6/27/2010 10:41:39 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Well, the way you come through, through your posts, i suspect you are not gonna do reckless experiments with high doses anyway.

69ron
#18 Posted : 6/27/2010 11:04:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

That’s for damn sure. Just look at all the unpleasant reports out there of nutmeg OD’s. My god. The net is filled with them.

While 0.25 ml of nutmeg oil was very pleasant for SWIM, SWIM is not about to up the dose by much next time. If you overdo it, and it becomes unpleasant, you’re stuck for 36 hours.

While most say the oil is less toxic than the nuts, it does produce side effects if the dose is high enough, and can kill you. So be careful with it. The reported doses of using the oil range from 1-5 ml. Even those who love nutmeg oil usually report preferring the lower end of the dosage range.

I think to get the most out of nutmeg oil an extraction needs to be performed to get rid of the non-psychedelic compounds. SWIM will be working on this. Nutmeg is easy to get. 100% legal. The oil at low doses is very nice, but as the dosage increases at some level the other not so great compounds present in the oil will start affecting the experience, introducing unpleasant side effects.