We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Simple Extraction Tek Opinions Needed Options

Astralking
#1 Posted : 6/24/2010 4:10:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well I've finally got some funds and I got some peruvian torch and like the idea of how simple the resin tek is but i was wondering if i could somehow use the chemicals i have. Not decided on the amount of plant material to use yet so i tried to use x as a constant Razz

After researching a bit i found that mescalines highly soluble in 99% IPA (which i have quite a bit of!) and was just wondering if i could do the following(Hypothetically of course):

Step 1 - Mix x grams of dried cactus with 1/4x of hydrated lime(could Sodium Carbonate be used out of interest?).

Step 2 - Wet mixture with 3x ml's of water

Step 3 - Totally dry in oven then powderize again

Step 4 - Add 3x ml's of IPA

Step 5 - Mix and leave for set period (how long?)

Step 6 - Filter off and put IPA in a seperate container (now contains mesc)

Repeat step 4 - 6 2 more times

Now i don't really know what i could use to extract the mescaline from the IPA. Would vinegar work like in the D-limonene tek of 69ron or what?

I would like to add i take absolutely no credit for any of this at all. Basically just used rons tek but change d-limonene for IPA since thats what i have! I'm not bothered about pure mescaline as i quite like the "cactus feel"

Thanks in advance!

No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. ~P.J. O'Rourke

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Infundibulum
#2 Posted : 6/24/2010 4:28:58 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

The IPA will have not only the mescaline but an awful lot of cactus crap. It'll most likely be a dark green colour (at least judging from SWIM's experience with using alcohol to extract just cactus powder).

Probably the most sensible to do if you really want to go for the IPA route would be to add few drops of concentrated hydrochloric acid, stick it in the freezer and wait for precipitation to occur. The rationale is that you try to salt the IPA-dissolved freebase mescaline out of IPA as its hydrochloride salt. Since mescaline hydrochloride is soluble in water and somewhat soluble in IPA, you may want to use a little amount of HCl solution (maybe 5-10 ml per, say 150-200ml IPA?-my guesstimate) and freeze to further reduce its solubility in this IPA/HCL/water/cactus crap mixture solution.

SWIM has never done that, it is all hypothetical; the theory sounds OK and it may even work nicely. But we have limited if any knowledge of what would actually happen in this case, not to mention any unforeseeable problems that may arise. But it is really worth trying.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

Astralking
#3 Posted : 6/24/2010 5:24:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ah cool.

So i would as i described and then add hydrochloric acid which would salt the mescaline then when this is put in the freezer, this means the IPA can't hold the mescaline salt anymore as it holds less when the temperature drops and it precipitates out? so what is the reason it needs to be salted in the first place?? is normal freebase mescaline still highly soluble in IPA if its been in the freezer but when you salt it it becomes less soluble?

Thanks for helping by the way.

Just trying to get my head around the science behind this in simpleton terms Smile
No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. ~P.J. O'Rourke

Infundibulum
#4 Posted : 6/24/2010 5:56:24 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Yes, mescaline hydrochloride is slightly soluble in IPA (more so if water is present) and the freezer will make things even less soluble.

And for mescaline freebase, it is highly soluble in IPA (also check this link) and cannot precipitated out of it. Freebases of alkaloids are often very (and much more than their salts) soluble in alcohols and ketones.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

Astralking
#5 Posted : 6/24/2010 9:58:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Right cool. So how does this sound?

Step 1 - Mix x grams of dried cactus with 1/4x of hydrated lime(could Sodium Carbonate be used out of interest?).

Step 7 - Take the mesc + IPA container and add some hydrochloric acid (could you give me an idea of how to dilute etc?)

Step 8 - This should cause some precipitation. Then i place this in the freezer and leave over night

Step 9 - In the morning the mescaline hydrochloride should have all precipitated out and then i evap the IPA to get the last?

Sorry about all the questions Smile Just gotta make sure of everything!

w0mbat
#6 Posted : 6/25/2010 6:43:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Astralking wrote:
Right cool. So how does this sound?

What is step 3 for? (just wondering, never heard of this being done).

I believe sodium carbonate can be used in theory, but in practice it's basically impossible.

Astralking wrote:

Step 7 - Take the mesc + IPA container and add some hydrochloric acid (could you give me an idea of how to dilute etc?)

Step 8 - This should cause some precipitation. Then i place this in the freezer and leave over night

Step 9 - In the morning the mescaline hydrochloride should have all precipitated out and then i evap the IPA to get the last?

IPA is unlikely to work my friend. It is miscible with water (and therefore with your HCl solution), which oculd cause some problems. Also, IPA will extract a whole bunch of junk from the cactus + lime mixture, some of which may transfer over to the water layer and wind up in your final product.

Also, your HCl may react with the other junk that the IPA will pick up, causing it to precipitate. Using a lower concentration of HCl may help - 69ron claims that 25 mL distilled water + 5 mL 10% HCl gives you a good concentration for salting out mescaline HCl.

Please post a report if you go ahead and try it Very happy. I see lots of potential problems with using IPA as your solvent, but who knows it might work & it would be great to have an alternative to d-limonene. It sounds like you're planning ahead pretty well but please be careful, entheogens are not worth hurting yourself or getting arrested over.
benzyme wrote:

i'm tellin ya, one day i'll interface a mass spec and uv-vis spectrophotometer to a modular synthesizer

Astralking
#7 Posted : 6/25/2010 8:28:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

This is very true. Been arrested is defo not something that would make me too happy!!! of course Razz

I am tempted to try this but at the moment funds are quite low... but it's weighing up between buying some d-limonene (which is hard to find a good amount for a good price in uk) or using the solvents i currently have so i thought i'd try looking into IPA.

Either way i'm learning all the time so it can't be all bad Smile Thanks again for the replies!

dg
#8 Posted : 6/25/2010 12:02:20 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Cacti expert

why not just add as much acid as is needed vs grossly overshooting? excess hcl will evap, but also pull browm crud into extract

basically, add acid until solution is ph6-7 Smile

i must agree, ipa is a pita

soulfood
#9 Posted : 6/25/2010 1:12:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

Astralking wrote:

This step will completely damage your mescaline content. This is me talking from experience. Freebase mescaline doesn't like being exposed to air, so hot air is a big no no. This tek does not sound good for IPA. Limonene or xylene really is the only way to go as it won't mix with water.

dg
#10 Posted : 6/29/2010 12:43:57 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Cacti expert

Infundibulum wrote:
The IPA will have not only the mescaline but an awful lot of cactus crap. It'll most likely be a dark green colour (at least judging from SWIM's experience with using alcohol to extract just cactus powder).

Probably the most sensible to do if you really want to go for the IPA route would be to add few drops of concentrated hydrochloric acid,

agreed, ipa is a poor solovent for extraction typically.

instead of adding drops, he (or his swim ) could add just enough acid to bring the ph down to 6(accurate titration yeilds cleaner product), then it wont pull nearly as many impurities(color etc_)