We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123NEXT
Honey spice... Options

Dorge
#21 Posted : 6/28/2010 4:26:18 AM

Chen Cho Dorge

well that worked!
like a charm!
Dorge is cooperatively owned and cooperatively run by various hyperspacial entities working as a collabertive sentience project for the betterment of sentient exploration.

Offical Changa web sitehttp://changa.esotericpharma.org/

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

SnozzleBerry
#22 Posted : 7/2/2010 8:15:37 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

Why not just evap the initial colored naptha? Won't it give you the same end product with fewer steps?
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

director of sound
#23 Posted : 7/4/2010 8:39:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

naptha takes forever to evap and most naptha has some contaminants that will make the end product taste bad. alcohol on the other hand evaps quick and its contaminants are just water and other alcohols or ketones used as adulterants that also evap just as quick leaving behind a relativly pure extract. think of it this way say you pulled some jungle with xylene, it just evaped and is as 'dry' as it is going to get. would you smoke it right away or do a heptane/alcohol cleanup on it to get out lye, bark juice and whatever else is in there. i suppose i could try evaping the naptha but i think most of that would oxidize or react with the air somehow or the taste would be ruined.
"because it is who i am...... i strive with all my soul to see the unimaginable the ineffable and the mysterious"

Phantastica
#24 Posted : 7/4/2010 10:02:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

yo director, my man, so from the first pull with HEET, i got ~0.8gm of amber oil (honey spice) from the naptha. i know i got most of the actives out in the first pull due to a significant color change in naptha after the pull. however, with my second pull with HEET from the same naptha, something really weird happened. The layers formed a weird ass emulsion, and the layers won't seperate even after 4 days now. the first pull went really smooth. i shook the shit out of it for a long time for a couple of times, and the layers seperated within 2 minutes. but with the second pull, i barely shook it, and the emulsion formed after the first gentle shake, and remains as an emulsion even today (4th day). you know why this happened? did it have something to do with most of the actives being pulled out in the first pull?
also i should mention, this emulsion is really weird looking, with a wavy liquid shape above and below where the separate layers should have formed. also there's fatty ellipsoid bubbles inside the emulsion, which don't seem to burst until shaken vigorously, in which case they form once againRolling eyes
<3

SnozzleBerry
#25 Posted : 7/4/2010 3:31:03 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

director of sound wrote:
naptha takes forever to evap and most naptha has some contaminants that will make the end product taste bad.

Naptha really doesn't take very long to evaporate, and as far as having contaminants, that's why you test evaporate your solvents before using them. That remains true whether you plan on freeze-precipitating, salting out, or evaporating, otherwise you don't know what could be in your solvent. Thus, you should already know that there are no contaminants or extraneous junk in your solvent. When you compare the amount of time it takes to evaporate naptha against all the steps you go through to get your honey spice, it's probably shorter to just evaporate. If you use a fan you may get a small percentage of n-oxide (but as this was the stuff that wouldn't precip out, I'm willing to bet it's already decently saturated with n-oxide) but you could always skip the fan and just let it evaporate if you're really that concerned.

As far as jungle goes, when I evap the xylene, I don't do any alcohol clean up because there's no need to. My jungle spice winds up completely dry following a fanned evaporation and manual re-x. If you fully evaporate your xylene, there are no contaminants left (again, that's why you test-evap) and it smells of delicious flowery spice. When I'm done evapping my xylene (when I used to do this, now I salt out of xylene/limo) and manually re-xing my product, there is no need for further cleanup. That should be the same with honey spice, as I have always evapped my leftover post-freez precip naptha since my first extraction and it sounds identical to the stuff you're talking about in this thread. If there's a reason you believe it's different, I'd be interested in hearing it.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

Phantastica
#26 Posted : 7/11/2010 7:54:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Phantastica wrote:
yo director, my man, so from the first pull with HEET, i got ~0.8gm of amber oil (honey spice) from the naptha. i know i got most of the actives out in the first pull due to a significant color change in naptha after the pull. however, with my second pull with HEET from the same naptha, something really weird happened. The layers formed a weird ass emulsion, and the layers won't seperate even after 4 days now. the first pull went really smooth. i shook the shit out of it for a long time for a couple of times, and the layers seperated within 2 minutes. but with the second pull, i barely shook it, and the emulsion formed after the first gentle shake, and remains as an emulsion even today (4th day). you know why this happened? did it have something to do with most of the actives being pulled out in the first pull?
also i should mention, this emulsion is really weird looking, with a wavy liquid shape above and below where the separate layers should have formed. also there's fatty ellipsoid bubbles inside the emulsion, which don't seem to burst until shaken vigorously, in which case they form once againRolling eyes

bump.
after about 10 days of continued emulsion now, the emulsion appears to be permanent. and the ellipsoid bubbles are just suspended within the liquid permanently as well. i'm really confused because the two layers that are supposed to be insoluble in each other have formed a permanent emulsion. there's no distinguishing layer between them at all. Did this happen with you director after a couple pulls? can anyone come up with a theory for this.
<3

director of sound
#27 Posted : 7/13/2010 9:17:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

phantastica. i noticed the same thing after the first pull. i got it to separate by adding a few ml of water but it yielded no honey spice, just some nasty whitish yellow wax with no effects.
"because it is who i am...... i strive with all my soul to see the unimaginable the ineffable and the mysterious"

Phantastica
#28 Posted : 7/13/2010 8:51:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

hmm i see..weird. well, i added the water and the layers are separated now in 2 layers. one with (HEET+water), and the other top layer (Naptha). since you said you didn't get any active yield from the second pull, i won't bother with it. Glad that i can re-use my Naptha nowSmile
<3

SnozzleBerry
#29 Posted : 7/13/2010 9:36:46 PM

omnia sunt communia!

The emperor is naked...
WikiAttitudeFAQ
גם זה יעבור

Vularin
#30 Posted : 7/17/2010 7:20:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

DoS great post!!

two questions:

- can you use IPA aswell, instead of Methanol?
- Saying you breakthrough more often on the honey would suggest that spice that is won from evapped naptha is more potent then freeze precip?

Cheers,
V

Gir
#31 Posted : 8/6/2010 7:57:18 PM

Gir

Could SWIM use MEK? or Acetone?

And... Could SWIM use this method on spice-saturated piss yellow naptha?

*EDTI: Meaning a pull that has been sitting in there for over 2 weeks
Lets go extract something together Smile

house wrote:
19:10:05 ‹house› mama aya gave me lego man eye healers

Smoke Spice, NOW

Gir likes to tell lies, and the truth, but gir cant even tell the difference between them...

http://www.thevenusproject.com/index.phpTHIS IS THE VENUS PROJECT.

Vularin
#32 Posted : 8/20/2010 8:30:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

just wash the solvent with 10 ml of tap water and evap that.

works aswell Smile

Dr_Sister
#33 Posted : 12/20/2010 9:12:00 PM

Synaptic cleft explorer

Chemical expert | Skills: Chemistry, Horticulture, Yoga, Meditation, Graphic/web design, MarketingSenior Member | Skills: Chemistry, Horticulture, Yoga, Meditation, Graphic/web design, Marketing

Nice discovery Director of Sound!

Phantastica wrote:

3) Is this possible with used limonene/xylene and other solvents as well..?

according to the following miscibility data this tek would not work with xylene as methanol/xylene are miscible, meaning they would not form two layers
http://terpconnect.umd.edu/~zhangx/html/solvent3.html

Sister cannot find any data for methanol and limonene though, but a simple test would be to add a small amount of the two together and if they form a biphasic solution then you are good to go.

Phantastica
#34 Posted : 12/20/2010 11:40:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Dr_Sister wrote:
Nice discovery Director of Sound!

Phantastica wrote:

3) Is this possible with used limonene/xylene and other solvents as well..?

according to the following miscibility data this tek would not work with xylene as methanol/xylene are miscible, meaning they would not form two layers
http://terpconnect.umd.edu/~zhangx/html/solvent3.html

Sister cannot find any data for methanol and limonene though, but a simple test would be to add a small amount of the two together and if they form a biphasic solution then you are good to go.

umm when i did it with limo, i'm pretty sure that the 2 layers separated. there were 2 distinct layers of limo and methanol (HEET). I'm not 100% certain if i'm recalling this correctly, but i am 95%+ positive

edit* i never tried it with xylene
<3

SnozzleBerry
#35 Posted : 12/22/2010 3:56:31 PM

omnia sunt communia!

I still don't understand the point of this "tek" or playing around with these chems when evapping your naptha yields the identical product...conservation of solvent doesn't make sense as a reason either because this procedure requires other ones anyway...
WikiAttitudeFAQ
גם זה יעבור

MelCat
#36 Posted : 12/22/2010 4:01:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The main thing I got from this Tek is that HEET is methyl alcohol and I've been using it for making 10x caapi. Seems to work a little better than regular IPA.

Once I get the piss colored naptha that won't precipitate anything anymore, I just evap that onto some 10x caapi so it's easier to work with. Definitely some powerful stuff.
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...

Dr_Sister
#37 Posted : 12/22/2010 10:30:34 PM

Synaptic cleft explorer

Chemical expert | Skills: Chemistry, Horticulture, Yoga, Meditation, Graphic/web design, MarketingSenior Member | Skills: Chemistry, Horticulture, Yoga, Meditation, Graphic/web design, Marketing

Phantastica wrote:
umm when i did it with limo, i'm pretty sure that the 2 layers separated. there were 2 distinct layers of limo and methanol (HEET). I'm not 100% certain if i'm recalling this correctly, but i am 95%+ positive

edit* i never tried it with xylene

How puzzling? Here is what the Merck Index has to say on the miscibility of Limonene

"Properties: Liquid. Pleasant lemon-like odor. bp763 175.5-176.5°. d4
20.85 0.8402. nD 1.4744.
Practically insol in water. Miscible with alcohol. With dry HCl or HBr it forms monohalides, and
with aq HCl or HBr, the dihalide.
Boiling point: bp763 175.5-176.5°

perhaps not all alcohols are created equally. Sister recalls from the old days of doing Al/Hg/AcOH reductions in EtOH that after basifiing during the workup if the solution was saturated with NaCl it forced the EtOH into its own layer, yet MeOH or IPA would not form their own layers.

vibrancy3
#38 Posted : 9/25/2011 9:32:25 PM

Josh

I want to try this, Got about 600ml of spent naphtha and 250ml of methanol but as snozzleberry said, you could just evap the spent solvent

Going to try both and see what type of results i get (thanks for this thread btw) Smile

vibrancy3
#39 Posted : 10/4/2011 10:52:56 PM

Josh

Okay so i used around 200ml of spent naphtha to test with and added 50ml of methanol to it, shaked vigorously and as DOS mentioned it formed into 2 layers (methanol at the bottom)

As standard i used appropriate eye google, dusk mask and gloves when dealing with methanol!!!

I then collected the bottom layer using a long pipette and added it a glass baking dish, unfortunately I did not have a fan and let it sit by the window for a little while. A gooey sticky liquid started to appear after around 6-10hours (getting paranoid that light, air, wind would effect it) i left it in dark concealed area and over peroid of 2-3days i did not get ''honey oil'' but some nice looking xtals appeared, here is a picture of what i achieved (sorry about bad quality of picture)

Tried a tiny bit (guesstimating 15-20mg) and got mild visuals which was similar to mimosa but had slight edge to it, and slightly weaker in strength. Am going to experiment with what i got and up the dose to around 30-50mg

8/10/11 Can confirm these are decent crystals Very happy i scraped up 110-120mg of impure xtals and had a smooth breakthrough. my friend tried this and was his second breakthrough he also thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Anyone else who is interested and has some spent naphtha lying around, should give it a try and post results Smile

vibrancy3
#40 Posted : 1/8/2012 6:09:46 AM

Josh

So i presume No-1 else has tried this yet or does any similar type of re-extraction of the goodies left in your spent solvent?

It took quite a while 2 dry but was worth the wait (about to try it for the 4th time with around 450ml of spent naphtha from teks)

Be nice to know if others are making use of there spent solvent (1 way or another) without just chucking it away....

PREV123NEXT