We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Steve Vai ! Options

El Ka Bong
#1 Posted : 6/22/2010 8:15:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 6/23/2010 7:09:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

thanks for that el ka bong! I remember years ago I took some acid and a friend put on 'for the love of god', I was really amazed by it! Really expressive music!

I dont like so much his 'superstar' and flashy show-off kind of style/stage presence, but oh boy his music can be really special! Appart from for the love of god, some of my favourite tracks are "sisters", "melissa's garden" and "boston rain melody"

polytrip
#3 Posted : 6/23/2010 9:52:19 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
That showing-off, wich he sometimes does, is such a waste of talent. This guy is one of the greatest musicians alive and, i think, by far the best guitarplayer ever. Not just technically but also as a musical pioneer and visionary; He moved on from where jimi hendrix had taken guitarmusic and pushed the boundaries so much further. 'passion and warfare' is the best guitar-album ever made, in my opinion.

When listening to his music, i often think this dude has taken some psychedelic, but i'm not sure wich one.

soulfood
#4 Posted : 6/23/2010 11:12:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

Three necks on a guitar and a wind-fan... oh my.

seriously though, I loved "sex and religion" back then. But that was mainly for devin townsends vox Smile

Big Inhale
#5 Posted : 6/23/2010 11:48:01 PM

The Enlightend One

He also trained Larry Lalonde from primus
Can you Imagine? From one single Idea everything appeared here.
RZA

Here in the Prime Creators universe all things are possible,because all things are possible many lessons are learned.

None Of This Is Real!

El Ka Bong
#6 Posted : 6/24/2010 12:02:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ah .. the ego we all bear ! Steve's ego is for us to all behold, and vicariously enjoy ! .. I can handle / have learned to bear the flashy bits ... But he's not really doing more than is needed to 'get-it-all-out', speaking his 'voice' takes facial contortions, I'd say !. The DVD about the "Wild Things .." tour shows what he's like - band mates describe life on the bus etc etc ..

Steve Vai HAS to have an ego that 'shows off' ... it's hugely there, and his thing to mutate and manipulate like the music he creates. The theatrical ego - I don't know him personally, but his You Tube interviews don't make him out to be unenlightened. He's mellower than you might expect. The high-speed fan on stage makes it look like he's flying real fast ... and it's functional as well as theatrical ... Always a Freak Show Excess ! ( I saw this tour 4 days before it was recorded..)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWRlig9_8_s

Women of course might dig the falshiness more than men .. but Steve also does the androgenous thing, it seems to me (see/hear "Little Aligator"Pleased.

Steve breaks it, and recreates it a billion times - theatrically enjoying all there can be in destroying - then he composes something intensely alive - face grimaces are essential to tell it all ... And then you need head gear !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8fw82yg6vc

polytrip
#7 Posted : 6/24/2010 5:53:21 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
I don't think he HAS to have an ego. He's proven himself to be an excellent composer.

He could just devote himself solely to making briliant music, wich he has repeatedly shown to be capable of.

I not so much dig his skills, as well as his immense creativity.

kemist
#8 Posted : 6/24/2010 7:26:22 PM

John

Very good musician. One of my favourite guitar player among John Petrucci, Robert Fripp and Joe Satriani.
He definitelly had some decent psychedelics experiences.
ILPT like him too, `tender surrender` is his favourite bit !
As a kemist I never met ILPT in physical form and never talk to him. He share his wisdom, trough my mind, telepathicly only. Please don`t prosecute me, for his possible illegal activities. He is bonkers about chemistry and doesn`t even exist in this primitive reality !!!

VisualDistortion
#9 Posted : 6/24/2010 8:41:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Why is showing off his musical talent a bad thing? He has dedicated his life to his craft and is very proud of what he can do, and he should be. I love musicians who like to show off their entire spectrum of skill.
You lock the door, and throw away the key

There's someone in my head but it's not me

TmC47
#10 Posted : 7/8/2010 10:17:54 PM

Nice guy

Personally, I think it's all about making a living. Behave extravagant, people notice, more money in the kitty.
Hey! The guys has to eat, Y'know?

And as for psychedelic experiences, Frank Zappa took him on a road trip, 'nuff 'said.
benzyme wrote:
you're preparing drugs, not salad.

Global
#11 Posted : 7/19/2010 6:40:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Music, LSDMT, Egyptian Visions, DMT: Energetic/Holographic Phenomena, Integration, Trip Reports

I happen to love Steve Vai, as he really introduced me to instrumental guitar, and helped me to find other virtuosi that I enjoy more, but Vai will always hold a special place in my heart. In terms of all the flashy, show-offy stuff, I think it's a product of the era in which he started, but I don't think it's for "show-off's sake" if you know what I mean. I think that's really the way that he expresses himself, and while we may sometimes find it corny, superfluous, over-the-top, or flat-out unnecessary, that's his form of self-expression, so who are we to judge. He's also quite the mystic himself, and the "A" in "VAI" as his signature logo features the third-eye. If he's not your cup of tea, then it's probably most important to simply move on, and not to get caught up in hate or disdain for him. By reserving such negative emotions for Vai, or anybody for that matter, you merely frustrate yourself, as Vai couldn't care less and is more than aware of some of the "cheesy" things he's prone to do. I bought that DVD when it came out last year, and was quite satisfied with it. I was actually at one of the concerts on that run he did, so the performance I saw was nearly identical to that on the DVD. He played for over 3 hours when I saw him! After the concert I got his "Sound Theories" CD autographed by him, along with a picture with me and the Vai-man that I would post, but I don't want to compromise ananimity Wink
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind" - Albert Einstein

"The Mighty One appears, the horizon shines. Atum appears on the smell of his censing, the Sunshine- god has risen in the sky, the Mansion of the pyramidion is in joy and all its inmates are assembled, a voice calls out within the shrine, shouting reverberates around the Netherworld." - Egyptian Book of the Dead

"Man fears time, but time fears the Pyramids" - 9th century Arab proverb