We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
Jobs Options

XENONSION
#21 Posted : 6/22/2008 1:26:06 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I work in communications for AT&T at the moment. Just quit running my own business as a tile setter, the industry there is just getting way to slow, had to go get a real job, lol.

Do not be
-seen-on-see-on-

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

burnt
#22 Posted : 6/22/2008 9:58:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Quote:
Thats why drilling back in with real biochemistry assays is so needed.

totally. sometimes everyone (mainly big business who can afford it) thinks all this bigger is better faster is more high-throughput stuff is all you need but that is surely not the case. you see so many studies coming out where someone just micro-arrays 1,000 genes in some mutant compared to some control wild type plant or something but can't say jack about what they are doing. only notice similar homology with other known genes thats about it.

by the way i work in science. finishing master starting pHD, also do technical stuff on the side, help out small time companies etc.

DeadLizard
#23 Posted : 6/22/2008 10:37:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

corporate whore working the factory floor ... it pays the bills ...

¿ǝɹǝɥ uo ƃu‎i s‎i 773H ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

deedle-doo
#24 Posted : 6/22/2008 4:31:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I am presently a developmental neurobiologist. My most recent work focuses on how peripheral sensory systems develop in the embryo and how they are wired to the central nervous system. My ambition is to learn all that I can on how the nervous system is constructed during development and then look at very simple animals with molecular biology and genomics tools to learn about the evolutionary origin of central nervousness.

I hope to be able to contribute a bit of neurobiology and evolutionary biology to the community. I have studied both subjects extensively and I love to talk about these things and how they may interact with the psychedelic experience.

Reborn
#25 Posted : 6/22/2008 6:29:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

Wow what a surprise, all of these scientist here, and I thought I would be the only one, how naive.
Any keep at that PhD, in science now it truly has become those with and those without.
If you do not have one it’s much harder to pave your own way so to speak.

Its funny the rift that has developed between old school hypothesis driven biology and new school discovery based biology. The reality is you need to put both together to be really successful. Now all of my work focus on projects that attempt to do that sooner or latter.

On a side note, in my PhD work I caught some crap from my committee during defense because of that, especially since I was developing a high throughput pipeline from scratch and it was more about the analytical chemistry than the biology back then. Some old school biochemist on my committee didn’t like all the technical emphasis. But for high throughput you must make the pipeline work first with accurate and reproducible results, worry about the actual biological results before then can get you in trouble.
Memory, prophecy and fantasy
-the past, the future and the dreaming moment between -
are all in one country, living one immortal day.
To know that is Wisdom. To use it is the Art.

burnt
#26 Posted : 6/22/2008 6:47:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Quote:
Its funny the rift that has developed between old school hypothesis driven biology and new school discovery based biology. The reality is you need to put both together to be really successful. Now all of my work focus on projects that attempt to do that sooner or latter.

agreed the best of both worlds.

Quote:
Any keep at that PhD, in science now it truly has become those with and those without.

yea thought about going to company route but realized working with ones own ideas is more fun even if the pay is less.

Quote:
But for high throughput you must make the pipeline work first with accurate and reproducible results, worry about the actual biological results before then can get you in trouble.

validation of any method is key

Reborn
#27 Posted : 6/22/2008 7:51:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

validation of any method is key[/quote]

The next major step, luckily for me some others have taken my work and done the hard labor of validation.
Memory, prophecy and fantasy
-the past, the future and the dreaming moment between -
are all in one country, living one immortal day.
To know that is Wisdom. To use it is the Art.

WSaged
#28 Posted : 7/1/2008 8:29:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It is always interesting to learn how many different types of people are drawn to exploring the secrets that DMT and most other psychedelic's hold. Truly all walks of life!!
I'm also really happy to learn that so many actual scientists are frequenting this board, gives it a bit more validity in my mind.

Then again, I guess some folks are just gettin' fucked up, manCrying or very sad

As far as me, I own & operate a commercial CD mastering studio, doing mostly stereo audio CDs. I'm the guy that takes all the songs a band recorded and polishes them up to make them sound as good as they can on all different types of speakers. I level out the overall loudness of all the tracks in reference to each other and bring them up to a standard loudness level. Then edit the fade-ins/fade-outs, spaces between tracks or crossfades etc... that make all the songs playback like a record, instead of just a bunch of songs on a CD. After thats completed and approved by the client, I write the master disc and run error tests, to verify its bit integrity & quality before sending it to the duplication plant. Occasionally I also have do noise reduction and/or restoration type work like transferring an old record album to CD or reducing background noise from a security recording etc...
Mastering is the final step in music production (or whatever) that makes the product sound "professional".

I also work as a freelance recording/mixing engineer at a number of local studios.
And believe it or not, I also teach Recording-I and Digital Audio-I & II at a local collage.
Yes, I am the one teaching your children, MUAHA HA HA HA HA....(evil laugh)

Cheers,

WS
All posts are fictional short stories depicting the adventures of WSaged!! None of these events have actually happened and any resemblance to any real persons or incidents is totally coincidence!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Traveler
#29 Posted : 7/1/2008 10:21:21 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

warrensaged wrote:
I also work as a freelance recording/mixing engineer at a number of local studios.
And believe it or not, I also teach Recording-I and Digital Audio-I & II at a local collage.
Yes, I am the one teaching your children, MUAHA HA HA HA HA....(evil laugh)

Somehow I wish I was my own kid now. Pleased

I still have to send you some tracks, I just moved and I'm currently rebuilding the studio (and have to reinstall Cubase too, *yugh*). When thats done I can finally finish my songs to pre-mastering status.

WSaged
#30 Posted : 7/2/2008 5:20:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
I still have to send you some tracks, I just moved and I'm currently rebuilding the studio (and have to reinstall Cubase too, *yugh*). When thats done I can finally finish my songs to pre-mastering status.

Ahoy Traveler, how you been?
I've been a bit swamped since the first of the year and have not had the time to do much posting around here, still doing some reading though.

I'll PM you with my email so when your ready you can reach me for sure

Quote:
Somehow I wish I was my own kid now.

Never too old to learn, man!!

Cheers!!

WS
All posts are fictional short stories depicting the adventures of WSaged!! None of these events have actually happened and any resemblance to any real persons or incidents is totally coincidence!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bezz
#31 Posted : 7/2/2008 9:56:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello everybody out there, I'm new to this (and any) forum. That's right, this is my very first posting ever!

I just finished my bachelor law school and beginning my masters in october.

Before that I was a foreman-welder.

I'm 29

Infundibulum
#32 Posted : 7/2/2008 10:19:37 AM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Hi all, Im (yet!) another science guy out there, doing reproductive science, IVFs, and cloning in mice and sheep, not bad and pays the bills!

I've also got plenty of developmental neuroscientists around me in the department, that always makes for a good talk!

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

WSaged
#33 Posted : 7/2/2008 6:04:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Im (yet!) another science guy out there, doing reproductive science, IVFs, and cloning in mice and sheep, not bad and pays the bills!

I've also got plenty of developmental neuroscientists around me in the department, that always makes for a good talk!

WOW!!!

WS

'Coatl
#34 Posted : 10/31/2008 1:52:58 AM

Teotzlcoatl

I'm a lifeguard. I love it.

WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

"We Are The One's We've Been Waiting For" - Hopi Proverb

Jorkest
#35 Posted : 10/31/2008 2:14:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf ProgrammingChemical expert | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf Programming

im a full time researcher of magic, altered states of consciousness, trans dimensional/time travel, 'alien' communication and explorer of the Other worlds

as well as the healing arts..including homeopathy, dream healing, flower essences, reiki, crystals, herbs and psychedelic therapy(im pretty good at getting to the bottom of something while on psychs and have a knack for coming up with advice that, ive been told, really helps)

i try to combine all of the healing methods i have learned to best suit the situation and the person...this all comes from my intuition...dont even really have to think about it anymore..

i use ethnobotanicals to go behind the scenes and alter the code of reality to teach myself lessons and to heal people that are ill...whether that is mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually.....this all comes from guidance from my higherSelf

i rarely work at 'real' jobs...i dont have time!! im lucky to have many people around me that help feed me and keep me warm...i live in a little shed out in the woods with my cat..and salvia plant Maria...in return for food i offer a safe, comfortable, warm area for healing and just passing the time

throughout my life money just doesnt come to me very often...and when it does...its gone before i know it...ive come to accept that i will never be 'rich' but somehow all my needs are always met..in a fashion

i have devoted the last 5 years of my life searching through the internet for information and objects that further my goals of healing and exploration...

but when i do end up with a job...always at the perfect time...i only work for a few months...and usually that involves work on a fishing boat with good friends...its hard work but its a great way to get grounded in my body after spending 9 months out of bodyPleased

im 23 going on 5
it's a sound

- mattress -
#36 Posted : 11/3/2008 2:08:43 AM

Mathew

Wow, good to see that there are quite a few intellectual people on this forum.

As for me. My 'actual' job is Workers Compensation. I deal with clients, manage their claims, help with their return back to work, manage the injuries and help look for possible treatment, etc. It's not a bad job, not what i want to be doing. But I'm only 18, so this is a good starting job. And the pay is awesome (for my age anyway).

Outside of work I study Entheogens and Entheobotanicals occasionaly. As well as Graphic Designing, which is what my 'goal' job is. Well, I have other jobs which would be 'goal' or 'dream' jobs. But being realistic, Graphic Designing is what I'm aiming for.
Xochipilli

PREV12