We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
MAOI effects of Rhodiola rosea Options

Ginkgo
#1 Posted : 6/16/2010 6:41:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey everyone,

Rhodiola rosea have long history of use as an adaptogen. I searched for some information on it, and guess what, it is a potent MAOI!
Quote:
The methanol and water extracts exhibited respectively inhibitions of 92.5% and 84.3% on MAO A and 81.8% and 88.9% on MAO B, at a concentration of 100 μg/ml.

Note that both MAO-A and MAO-B gets inhibited, instead of only MAO-A as the harmala-alkaloids. Extra caution should therefore be taken. Rosiridin (structure attached) seems to be the most active substance in the plant.

Has anyone tried this to activate oral DMT, or in any other combination? I am very interested in its potential use, as it grows wild in my area - the first MAOI I have found to grow here.
Ginkgo attached the following image(s):
rosiridin.png (3kb) downloaded 158 time(s).

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

jamie
#2 Posted : 6/16/2010 6:51:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

I used to take rhodiola pills along with a light caapi brew and some cacao every morning on the way to work..it was always very very nice. Even with rhodiola alone it was a nice antidepressant kind of glow..also if I took alot sometimes id get an MDMAish kind of vibe..i took it at times with 5htp as well and that was real nice.
Long live the unwoke.

polytrip
#3 Posted : 6/16/2010 7:12:36 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
I've taken capsules with powdered extract before taking ayahuasca, because i expected it to somehow boost or alter the effects of caapi. I cannot say that the results where spectacular, although i do think it added a positive vibe.

I don't know if it is a safe alternative for caapi. I think that it is probably not suited for full MAO-inhibition to activate orally taken DMT. First of all i don't know how much of it would have to be consumed, but i expect unpleasant side effects if massive amounts of it are taken.

Firstly because i believe that there are compounds in it, simmilar to those in green tea, that like the polyphenols in green tea could cause liver and kidney problems if taken in too large amounts at once. Secondly the stuff gives a bit of the same sensation as mimosa gives, when you try to swallow it (wich is why i choose to encapsulate it), like its full of tannins. It's probably much harder for the stomach to take than mimosa.

If you want to use it to make pharmahuasca, then at least you ought to get rid of the tannins first, because otherwise you probably won't keep it inside long enough.

But most of all, i don't know if it's safe to take in massive amounts.