We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV3456NEXT
The Tea Party Options

polytrip
#81 Posted : 6/21/2010 9:46:00 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
Saidin wrote:
burnt wrote:
^^Polytrip one difference between the the relative sizes of the US government and more welfare managed states like Denmark is the size of the country and population. This actually makes a big difference in the practical and logistical aspects of running such a state.

Since the US is so big its hard to get everyone to agree on such things. Personally I think these decisions are better left to individual states. That way states that find the best middle ground other states will follow. If people in certain states want minumum taxes and minumum government interference let them. If other states want a big welfare system let them. The ones that work the others will model themselves after.

I think thats the best approach to this issue instead of broad sweeping policies that might not work so well in a country like the US for various reasons.

I agree, all politics should go from local to global, not the other way around. Keep the resources in the local community, that way the population can react to needs in a much quicker and more efficient manner.

Yeah, i agree with burnt as well. I even think that when it's about stuff like prohibition of substances, you better just leave it to states themselves. I bet california or massachusets would want to adopt a more liberal (and pragmatic) policy while states such as kansas wouldn't even want to consider this as a serious option. When it's about gambling, this is already the case. i don't see why narcotics would have to be fundamentally different.

With large federal organisations like the USA, the EU or india and china, it would always be best to determine what could better be left to the memberstates and what would better be done on a federal level.

I think it would be a good thing for instance, if the EU would actually state within it's 'constitution' that defending and protecting the soevereignty of it's memberstates would be the prime goal of itself as an organisation.
The only time that a state would have to deliver some of it's soevereignty to the EU, would be when the net-result would actualy be that it's soevereignty on the whole would be served.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Saidin
#82 Posted : 6/21/2010 11:14:58 PM

Sun Dragon

Senior Member | Skills: Aquaponics, Channeling, Spirituality, Past Life Regression Hypnosis

This November is going to be interesting in Caifornia. There is a ballot measure called the Tax Cannibis Act, which would legalize recreational usage and decriminalize it.

It would have the same restrictions as Alcohol...21 to buy, no driving under the influence. But you'd be able to go buy it in a store and/or grow your own.

I sure hope it passes, though I don't smoke anymore. Wouldn't mind a brownie to two occasionally! Cool
What, you ask, was the beginning of it all?
And it is this...

Existence that multiplied itself
For sheer delight of being
And plunged into numberless trillions of forms
So that it might
Find
Itself
Innumerably.
-Sri Aubobindo

Saidin is a fictional character, and only exists in the collective unconscious. Therefore, we both do and do not exist. Everything is made up as we go along, and none of it is real.

polytrip
#83 Posted : 6/21/2010 11:20:05 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Saidin wrote:
This November is going to be interesting in Caifornia. There is a ballot measure called the Tax Cannibis Act, which would legalize recreational usage and decriminalize it.

It would have the same restrictions as Alcohol...21 to buy, no driving under the influence. But you'd be able to go buy it in a store and/or grow your own.

I sure hope it passes, though I don't smoke anymore. Wouldn't mind a brownie to two occasionally! Cool

What do you expect the outcome will be?

Saidin
#84 Posted : 6/21/2010 11:52:42 PM

Sun Dragon

Senior Member | Skills: Aquaponics, Channeling, Spirituality, Past Life Regression Hypnosis

Well, they predict that it would bring in about $1 Billion in taxes, and save the state $500 million or so in law enforcement. Last I heard it had more support than not, and if the election were held today would most likely pass.
And it is this...

So that it might
Find
Itself
Innumerably.
-Sri Aubobindo

Saidin is a fictional character, and only exists in the collective unconscious. Therefore, we both do and do not exist. Everything is made up as we go along, and none of it is real.

polytrip
#85 Posted : 6/22/2010 5:18:56 PM
DMT-Nexus member

That would be great. If a large state like california is to adopt such a policy, people all over the world will start thinking. It will shed a new light on the issue of substances and the law. Finally, prohibition would no longer be something that speaks for itself.

Because the stakes are so high, i assume that there's a lot of heavy campaining from pro and contra-interest groups going on?

Saidin
#86 Posted : 6/22/2010 5:34:36 PM

Sun Dragon

Interestingly enough, I haven't heard/seen any campaigning for either side. Most people don't even know that it will be on the ballot. They sure picked the right name for the measure in the Tax Cannibis Act. Even people who are against weed, might vote for it for the tax revenue.

I haven't had television for the past month or so, and not planning on getting it again until at least September, so they could be advertising begun in the last month that I wouldn't know about. September/October is when it is really going to get interesting, as the Supreme Court took away nearly all restrictions for campaign advertising...the only commercials anyone will see this fall will be political. Sad
And it is this...

So that it might
Find
Itself
Innumerably.
-Sri Aubobindo

hyperspacing
#87 Posted : 6/22/2010 5:45:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ya hopefully it passes cuz here in nevada we seem to follow californias lead. We have medical wich I attribute to cali. Only problem with medical here is the law doesn't protect you from being fired from work getting popped on a drug test. Even if you have your card. Also I'm a commercial motor vehicle driver and I would have to surrender my liscence and would lose my job.
-Close your eyes, See the light, and feel the sunshine in the shade

~All views, ideas and opinions of this user are strictly fictional and in no way represent an act done in reality.

polytrip
#88 Posted : 6/23/2010 10:11:48 PM
DMT-Nexus member

btw, do they actually drink tea at those tea parties?, because i saw some of it on TV and i didn't see any teapot.

Saidin
#89 Posted : 6/24/2010 12:01:58 AM

Sun Dragon

polytrip wrote:
btw, do they actually drink tea at those tea parties?, because i saw some of it on TV and i didn't see any teapot.

Naw...they just hang the tea bags from revolutionary period hats.

That's why some people call them, "Tea Baggers" Laughing Wink
And it is this...

So that it might
Find
Itself
Innumerably.
-Sri Aubobindo

polytrip
#90 Posted : 6/24/2010 5:33:23 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Saidin wrote:
polytrip wrote:

Naw...they just hang the tea bags from revolutionary period hats.

That's why some people call them, "Tea Baggers" Laughing Wink

I bet they like that.

polytrip
#91 Posted : 10/20/2010 8:33:33 PM
DMT-Nexus member

So today i heard that one of these lunatic's from delaware wants to forbid masturbation.Confused ....Laughing I don't know if she just want's it to be a delaware law or whether she wants to make it a federal law (probably the last)...Anyway, they always claim that they want to 'take america back' and all the other stuff, like that they're for freedom and such...?

I would say that they have a rather peculiar definition of the word freedom, if they want to place camera's in everyone's house to see if nobody's doing some illegal wanking in this 'land of the free' as they'd like to see it. Laughing Laughing Laughing

These tea-party nuts are the ones that desperately believe in the right to cary guns to 'keep the government in check', but if these american taliban clowns ever become the government themselves than i think you realy have to arm yourself.

I wonder what would happen if someone would put some LSD in their tea? Would that cure them or would they become even funnier?

trancenut
#92 Posted : 10/21/2010 12:05:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
So today i heard that one of these lunatic's from delaware wants to forbid masturbation.Confused ....Laughing I don't know if she just want's it to be a delaware law or whether she wants to make it a federal law (probably the last)..

Maybe they are preparing to tax wanking! Twisted Evil

pau
#93 Posted : 10/21/2010 12:16:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

whatever happened to the "center" of both parties? Some believe that the way voting districts are drawn, as well as the way low-turnout primary elections work, here in the USA ends up pushing the political fringes into the victory column. The result is that vitrolics, rhetoric and polemics (that's today's Greek lesson) go up, and good government goes down ... or should I say "tanks". The voting populace is on to this ... but all they're able to do is throw out one bunch of nutcase bums every two years and replace them with another bunch from the other end. It's about to happen again next month....which is how we'll end up with these "anti-masturbationists" in government for the next two years.

But don't forget, Clinton's Surgeon General got fired for being PRO-masturbation, so maybe this won't be such a big deal after all. Maybe we'll end up in a place where smoking weed is legal, but masturbating is illegal? I'm beginning to believe in parallel universes...
WHOA!

blue_velvet
#94 Posted : 11/25/2010 7:17:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

States' rights are where it's at in the USA. Ron Paul calls it "50 laboratories of innovation." We could maximize freedom. Imagine a country with such diverse political systems, but still united through a minimal federal government. So, you can travel freely, everyone speaks the same language, and the federal government regulates interstate relations so individual states can't impose tariffs on or war with other states. You would be guaranteed the freedoms in the Constitution, but also the freedom to choose a specific political system. Suppose you want a state where drugs are legal and guns controlled, you could move there. State policies would gradually change as people left one state for another. Political competition to attract inhabitants is what you would find.

Ice House
#95 Posted : 11/25/2010 10:10:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Sustainable growing

blue_velvet wrote:
Suppose you want a state where drugs are legal and guns controlled, you could move there. State policies would gradually change as people left one state for another. Political competition to attract inhabitants is what you would find.

Suppose you are state that DOES NOT what drugs and you have a state bordering yours that is reponsible for a flood of drugs into your state?

Suppose you are a state where the people DO NOT want gay marriage and have voted so twice on a state wide ballot but the gay minority keeps overturning the vote of the majority in a court of law because of gay lawyers and pro gay judges?

Suppose you are a state that DOES NOT want to be a safe haven for illegal immigants and their families?

Suppose you are a state that DOES NOT want abortion and you want to get one?

Suppose you live in a state that DOES NOT want mosques and sharia law and you are a muslim?

Supose that people have jobs, family, friends, and history in their states and dont want to leave and go to another state?
Ice House is an alter ego. The threads, postings, replys, statements, stories, and private messages made by Ice House are 100% unadulterated Bull Shit. Every aspect of the Username Ice House is pure fiction. Any likeness to SWIM or any real person is purely coincidental. The creator of Ice House does not condone or participate in any illicit activity what so ever. The makebelieve character known as Ice House is owned and operated by SWIM and should not be used without SWIM's expressed written consent.

polytrip
#96 Posted : 11/25/2010 4:24:23 PM
DMT-Nexus member

blue_velvet wrote:
States' rights are where it's at in the USA. Ron Paul calls it "50 laboratories of innovation." We could maximize freedom. Imagine a country with such diverse political systems, but still united through a minimal federal government. So, you can travel freely, everyone speaks the same language, and the federal government regulates interstate relations so individual states can't impose tariffs on or war with other states. You would be guaranteed the freedoms in the Constitution, but also the freedom to choose a specific political system. Suppose you want a state where drugs are legal and guns controlled, you could move there. State policies would gradually change as people left one state for another. Political competition to attract inhabitants is what you would find.

Sounds a bit like the european union. You would not speak of a real country anymore, but of an empire. Not by definition a bad idea, for europe it might very well work, once it's properly organised hopefully one day.....It could work, but you're no longer a country.

For instance, if realy many mexicans would immigrate to california and eventually spanish would become california's official language, would that be OK for the (american) federal government?

It is an interesting concept. Europe is right in the middle of the proces of becoming such an empire right now. There's no way of telling wich way it will go. Could be the right way, could be the wrong way, and the whole thing could fail.

But you got to have philosophical debates about this, considering for instance, wich values you hold dear and how you would want to uphold them. I don't realy see that happening now, since politic's is soooo boring.

If the united states of europe ever becomes an actual empire instead of a fantasy of some politicians and businesmen, i hope it would be a bit more modest than all the empire's of the past and present have been thus far, and i hope it would be a bit more democratic two.

Interesting concept, but it needs a little more consideration.

blue_velvet
#97 Posted : 11/25/2010 5:22:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

In Europe, each state has its own nationalist streak. In the US, only Texas really holds anything resembling that IMO. Nevertheless, our nationality is American throughout and even though I support a minimalist federal government, my impression of the EU is that it's bound by a rather loose regulatory body. Doesn't England still use the pound? Consolidation of currency and militaries would be neccessary. What's going to be the first language? I'm not one of those people that thinks the EU is neccessarily a bad thing, but I don't think it has the same potential as the United States for such diversity within a single nation. The EU has more cultural and historical boundaries to dissolve.

polytrip
#98 Posted : 11/25/2010 5:31:02 PM
DMT-Nexus member

blue_velvet wrote:
In Europe, each state has its own nationalist streak. In the US, only Texas really holds anything resembling that IMO. Nevertheless, our nationality is American throughout and even though I support a minimalist federal government, my impression of the EU is that it's bound by a rather loose regulatory body. Doesn't England still use the pound? Consolidation of currency and militaries would be neccessary. What's going to be the first language? I'm not one of those people that thinks the EU is neccessarily a bad thing, but I don't think it has the same potential as the United States for such diversity within a single nation. The EU has more cultural and historical boundaries to dissolve.

Yes, it's very loose. Yet the EU has a federal structure. The thing is that nobody mentions it because it isn't politically correct. Speaking of europe as an empire is very, very taboo.

But that taboo is very bad, because it makes europe an invissible and thus undemocratic empire.
because an empire it is: the largest economy in the world, larger than nafta, close to china and the USA combined, over 500 million people, two nuclear powers...It comes close to china and india in that respect.

It would need to be adressed. Do we want to be an empire or not? being an empire and pretending not to be one is the worst of the two if you ask me.

Felnik
#99 Posted : 11/25/2010 5:51:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Tea party is corporate backed Trojan horse packaged to appeal to ignorant uninformed .
to expect anything constructive or socially progressive is a total waste of time.
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke

http://vimeo.com/32001208

Bill Cipher
#100 Posted : 11/25/2010 7:31:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well said.

«PREV3456NEXT