We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
A way to mark a post as worth reading? Options

cellux
#1 Posted : 6/3/2010 7:59:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm reading a topic and find a post that seems especially worthy to share with others.

Now I may go to the "memorable quotes" topic ( my favorite one currently Smile )and share an excerpt there, but this is not the perfect solution.

How about the possibility of a button with which I can give a "thumbs up" to a post? ("Thumbs down" is not required.)

The system would remember this, maybe even count the votes and the search functionality could be enhanced with an option of looking for posts which are "popular".

This would provide a user-driven selection of the best posts in the long term.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

MelCat
#2 Posted : 6/3/2010 8:15:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I think that would be a great idea.
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...

acolon_5
#3 Posted : 6/3/2010 1:01:52 PM

The Great Namah

It is a good idea, I'm not sure what kind of programing nightmare this might pose for The Traveler, but I like it.
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

Aegle
#4 Posted : 6/3/2010 2:35:49 PM

Cloud Whisperer

Senior Member | Skills: South African botanicals, Mushroom cultivator, Changa enthusiast, Permaculture, Counselling, Photography, Writing

Cellux

Such a lovely idea...

Much Peace and Understanding
The Nexus Art Gallery | The Nexian | DMT Nexus Research | The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

The fate of our times is characterised by rationalisation and intellectualisation and, above all, by the disenchantment of the world.

Following a Path of Compassion and Heart

neuro_rocket
#5 Posted : 6/3/2010 4:10:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Maybe we should do an archives type thing.
Gather up all the really good threads and put them into a text file and stick all those into and archive folder.
Pretty low-tech, but it would be nice to have a collection of all the important/noteworthy threads.

And we could make the archives downloadable, so we'll have tons of backups in case (god-forbid) the Nexus goes under. Kinda like what the Hive did with the Rhodium archives.
I'm mad as a hatter and a compulsive liar.
Nothing I say is true or should be mistaken for the truth.

MooshyPeaches
#6 Posted : 6/3/2010 6:24:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I like

Citta
#7 Posted : 6/3/2010 9:43:16 PM

Skepdick

We have something very similar in a norwegian forum I am frequently at. We got what we call "qualitypoints" which appears as an option at the top right corner of every post. If you like a post, you can click on this button and the post receives a qualitypoint. This point appears right over the post stating "this post has received x qualitypoints" and on the users profile as well, so members can gather up these points by posting well enough. Some of our users have gotten several thousand of these points. We can also go in and see what posts made points. It works great, and I can recommend it here as well.

DoingKermit
#8 Posted : 6/3/2010 10:45:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The "qualitypoints" sounds like a good idea, Citta

#9 Posted : 6/3/2010 10:59:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah I like the idea!

The only downside I can see is it might create a kind of "feedback loop" for those popular posts. If more people read them, more people are likely to give them points, so more people are likely to read them and so on and so on...

This might have the effect of limiting the depth to which people read the forums somewhat. There are loads of worthy posts that may get read less as a result.
Oh great - the world has just been replaced by elf machinery.
Sic transit gloria mundi

Citta
#10 Posted : 6/4/2010 10:23:36 AM

Skepdick

1664:

Well, this is a consequence yes, but we have not seen this to any great extent on the forum I am at. You know, those points are given if a certain member thinks that this particular post is good. Another member might not think so. Besides, who's gonna take the care to stalk each member with points to see where they got their points from? And if more people are reading posts with points, isnt this just good? If a post has received, let's say, 20 points - don't you think that perhaps it is worth to read this post?

Anyway, I can say from experience that it seems to work very well at our forum and we got close to 50.000 members. If several people like this idea it may be worth a try? That's what we did. We tried it for some time first and it worked great so we continued. And these points doesn't necessarily say anything about the real quality of your posts. I mean, if you got a great joke perhaps 30 people will give you a point for having a good laugh^^

#11 Posted : 6/6/2010 10:00:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

^^^ These are all fair points Citta - as I said, I like the idea, I was simply putting some thoughts out there Smile - any mods that could create this feature have an opinion?
Oh great - the world has just been replaced by elf machinery.
Sic transit gloria mundi

Entheojen
#12 Posted : 8/18/2011 9:12:46 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Holy necropost!

But the latest version of Safari has a reading list for this purpose.
The trees spoke to me through the wind. The more I listened, the more they spoke.

RayOfLight
#13 Posted : 9/27/2011 9:19:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I've thought about mentioning this to traveler before but I remember him saying the nexus isn't facebook with 'like' 'dislike' witch is essentially what this boils down to.
โ€Ž"I maintain that Truth is a pathless land, and you cannot approach it by any path whatsoever, by any religion, by any sect." J. Krishnamurti ~ The Dissolution of the Order of the Star. 1929

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erjAzA753sg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AEU5pBxY6E

bindu
#14 Posted : 9/27/2011 10:14:40 AM

Citta wrote:
"qualitypoints"

like!
blessed be all forms of intelligence

purple_dye
#15 Posted : 11/10/2011 4:15:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I support this notion
PS

This is what the alphabet would look like if Q and R were missing

ChaoticMethod
#16 Posted : 11/10/2011 5:44:25 AM

Eye of the Beholder

Also in support. This can also act as some kind of motivator for people to make quality posts, wich can't be bad.
"If you have any answers, We will be glad to provide full and detailed questions."

[url=http://shimeon.tumblr.com//url]

obliguhl
#17 Posted : 11/10/2011 8:12:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

This would lead to approval-seeking behaviour and reddit-like circlejerking. This place does not need additional ego rubbing or anticipatory obedience.

Quote:
This can also act as some kind of motivator for people to make quality posts, wich can't be bad.

The motivaton is the priviledge to be able to post here and to share amazing experiences with others. Everyone who feels otherwise and needs "motivation" to post worthwhile stuff, should consider staying in the welcome area a little longer.

zubidlo
#18 Posted : 11/10/2011 8:33:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't like an idea. Interesting threads are easily recognized by number of replies. I wouldn't like Nexus turning into facef*ck neither. When I like what I read I thank or encourage the creator in post and that is more than 'like' or whatever button imo.
'Life is an illusion designed to keep your mind occupied while you are digested by God.'