We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
yerba mate full-spectrum extract?? Options

Dimitrius
#1 Posted : 5/26/2010 6:07:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Does anyone know if it's possible to create a full-spectrum extract from yerba mate leaves, using some combination of some of the following materials?:

- limonene
- everclear
- anhydrous ipa
- anhydrous acetone
- heptane
- calcium hydroxide
- sodium carbonate
- ascorbic acid
- fumaric acid
- citric acid
- acetic acid

.....a xanthine rich, holistic sort of extract that can be readily dissolved into drinks?
"Within your heart is a lotus, and within this lotus is a diamond. This diamond is the source of creation, and in all the creation, there is only one lotus."

"Only from the Heart can you touch the sky." ~ Rumi

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Gir
#2 Posted : 5/26/2010 9:05:13 PM

Gir

Do some research on solubility in those chemicals...

Just some stuff for ya:

Molecular Formula: C5H4N4O2
Molecular Weight: 152.1
CAS Number: 69-89-6
pKa: 7.7, 11.91
λmax = 277 nm (pH = 10)1
Extinction Coefficient: EmM = 9.3 (pH = 10)1

Xanthine is soluble in sodium hydroxide solutions and in acidic solutions. It is soluble in 1 M NaOH (50 mg/ml), with sonication for less than 5 minutes,
yielding a clear solution. It is slightly soluble in water (1 g/14.5 L, 16 °C) and in ethanol^2

reference: http://www.sigmaaldrich....01.File.tmp/x4002pis.pdf
Lets go extract something together Smile

house wrote:
19:10:05 ‹house› mama aya gave me lego man eye healers

Smoke Spice, NOW

Gir likes to tell lies, and the truth, but gir cant even tell the difference between them...

http://www.thevenusproject.com/index.phpTHIS IS THE VENUS PROJECT.

Infundibulum
#3 Posted : 5/26/2010 9:28:49 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Dimitrius wrote:
Does anyone know if it's possible to create a full-spectrum extract from yerba mate leaves, using some combination of some of the following materials?:

- limonene
- everclear
- anhydrous ipa
- anhydrous acetone
- heptane
- calcium hydroxide
- sodium carbonate
- ascorbic acid
- fumaric acid
- citric acid
- acetic acid

.....a xanthine rich, holistic sort of extract that can be readily dissolved into drinks?

There are just too many parameters to take into account when one extracts alkaloids from not-so-famous plant sources. Heat stability and pH stability of the actives and non-polar solvent solubility are few things to consider. If one wants to be super-careful (as it should be the case with the tasks the OP wants to undertake) one should treat the extraction as if he was extracting psilocin.

In this respect, an ideal strategy would be to make a crude extract of yerba mate with 70% ethanol and evaporate everything at room temperature to yield a resin. This is as holistic as it gets, since it will include alkaloid and non-alkaloidal actives. A further refinement that would select for the alkaloids mainly would be to dissolve the resin in warm, slightly acidic water (pH 4-5), filter out any insoluble stuff, basify gently with sodium bicarbonate and pull with a generic good-for-all solvent like DCM (that pulls most of the know alkaloids freebases efficiently).

SWIM does not know whether xanthine alkaloids in freebase form are soluble in limonene or heptane; he'd assume from pure intuition that they are not very soluble, maybe they are somewhat soluble in limonene. On the other hand, xanthine alkaloids are soluble in DCM as well as chloroform.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

Dimitrius
#4 Posted : 8/24/2016 2:05:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

In googling for information on how to create an extract of Yerba Mate, I re-discover my post from ages ago!

derp..... Rolling eyes

Never did any experiments at that time....

Gir wrote:
Xanthine is soluble in sodium hydroxide solutions and in acidic solutions. It is soluble in 1 M NaOH (50 mg/ml), with sonication for less than 5 minutes,
yielding a clear solution. It is slightly soluble in water (1 g/14.5 L, 16 °C) and in ethanol^2

reference: http://www.sigmaaldrich....01.File.tmp/x4002pis.pdf

So, with Xanthines being soluble in acidic solutions & the evaporative property of acetic acid [100% evaporative??], I'm thinking I could just buy some Glacial Acetic Acid & dilute in water to.....what %?? Or possibly use just straight acetic acid for a cleaner result??

My thoughts are to simply cover some amount of Yerba Mate & allow infusion over 3-4 days [most likely in a warm location]. Then, slowly evap in a covered dish out in the sun.

I'm basically going for what I find in Guayaki's drinks. A Mate' extract mixed with mints, etc... Just love em'. Pure & clean. Smile

Mate' prepared with water, be it cold, warm or hot, just doesn't agree with me. And, none of the other xanthine sources do either. I've tried anhydrous caffeine, but I don't like the feeling of that O-o at all.

Sound good, to anyone out there?
"Within your heart is a lotus, and within this lotus is a diamond. This diamond is the source of creation, and in all the creation, there is only one lotus."

"Only from the Heart can you touch the sky." ~ Rumi

downwardsfromzero
#5 Posted : 9/6/2016 4:10:43 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

I find green mate' gives me mouth ulcers if consumed more than once in a blue moon. Is this the problem you have? Other than that, I'd drink it all the time.

Toasted/smoked mate is more forgiving.

Guayaki - is that some kind of brand?

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli