We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12345NEXT»
2012 debunked extensively Options

endlessness
#41 Posted : 5/31/2010 1:05:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

psychology has shown over and over that personal experience can be mistaken. Optical illusions are a small but notable example. Creation of false memories is another. There are many other examples of how our perceptions and subjective experiences may fool us. Personal experience and personal belief is definitely not enough criteria for something to be considered truth. I do think, though, that for a broader truth, one should consider all sides critically, including his personal experience, published scientific reports, opinions of others, etc etc, giving each part its deserved value in the specific context and situation.

and no, sorry, your argument makes no sense about making the experiments yourself. Are you going to make the inspection on an airplane yourself before you fly, or are you gonna trust the engineers?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

endlessness
#42 Posted : 5/31/2010 1:22:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Im amazed! You really cant see the huge distinction between believing a bearded angry male in the sky sending lightning bolts to those that dont pray on sunday or giving up your house and quitting your job because you believe 2012 will enlighten all people, and trusting a peer-reviewed (meaning collectively examined by a group of certified experts on the subject) article on, say, the mechanics of an airplane?!

endlessness
#43 Posted : 5/31/2010 1:35:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Rationalize all you want, ya, Im done with this conversation. Just know that equating those two things as if they are equivalent is VERY dangerous and can lead to disastrous consequences.

jbark
#44 Posted : 5/31/2010 2:04:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ya wrote:
jbark wrote:
the problem is that many believe all that is written.

The problem with the science-religion (yes, it needs to be said again) is that:

Many (like Burnt, yourself, and others) believe all that is published by peer-reviewed "trustable" sources.
What's hypocritical is that even though you haven't done the experiment yourself, you say "it's not a belief, it's a fact!"
Here you are believing others' words, just like those "religious believers" do, yet you don't admit you are doing the same.

So Burnt's point of this thread, "Believers are stupid" is totally hypocritical, since Burnt believes scientists' words.
It would be so much more rational if you admit, "I haven't done the experiments, I simply BELIEVE various scientists."

So instead of saying, "This airplane is safe." it is more rational to admit, "I BELIEVE the engineers who say it's safe." Smile

I've said it before and ill say it again - i believe proof when it is sound. I believe (cause i am not equipped to do the experiments myself) a group of people who are trained to catch pretenders and have condoned the work of another, KNOWING that the work is not infallible and CAN be proved wrong. A belief, or a leap of faith, is not subject to infallibility.

i.e. you cannot DISPROVE the existence of god. So it is a belief. Science is built on disproving (wholly or partially) other's research. It discards faulty arguments and admits new ones. No belief system, or religion, does this. So to call science a religion is fundamentally erroneous. BTW, i am not saying he/she/it doesn't exist. Merely pointing out that, by strict definition, it will never be FACT.

Your example is faulty. No one engineer can guarantee all of what you assert. safety is not a fact. it is an opinion. A more correct analogy would be to assert that if all things function correctly, the plane WILL fly. And you can't really argue with that. And I have seen enough planes fly to trust this assertion, and don't need to verify every plane on the face of the earth. It is repeatable - another major part of the scientific method. beliefs are not founded on anything verifiable, repeatable or founded on anything subject to infallibility.

So saying god exists is no more provable, or disprovable (and thus just as admissible logically), than the assertions that blacks are inferior, that your soul exists and transmigrates, that jews were responsible for the decline of germany in the 20's and thus deserved to be gassed, and that stones are conscious, for that matter.

So while I generally respect peoples beliefs, I am no fool. They can be very dangerous. As of course, can the use of scientific discoveries. But the discoveries themselves are not dangerous, their applications are. Beliefs, I believe Wink can be dangerous in and of themselves:

If everyone believed that nothing written was believable (or trustable - a better word) and refused to teach their children to read to spare them all the lies, what kind of a world would we live in?

Think before making radical assertions. That's not science, just common sense.

JBArk
JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.

jbark
#45 Posted : 5/31/2010 2:09:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ya wrote:
Some think religious beliefs are VERY dangerous and can lead to disastrous consequences.
Some think scientific beliefs are VERY dangerous and can lead to disastrous consequences.
(For example, the peer-reviewed belief that it's safe for us to create nuclear weapons. Rolling eyes )

How about everyone, religion-believers, science-believers, admit that everyone is merely carrying beliefs.

At least Robert Anton Wilson had the sense to say it is better to admit, "I think, I believe, I perceive, etc."

Better does not equal practical or necessary - we live in the real world.

JBArk

P.S. for the rest, see my post above

BTW i am not a scientist, but a creative filmmaker who questions everything, but accepts what i cannot understand.
JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.

gibran2
#46 Posted : 5/31/2010 2:15:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

jbark wrote:
So while I generally respect peoples beliefs, I am no fool. They can be very dangerous. As of course, can the use of scientific discoveries. But the discoveries themselves are not dangerous, their applications are. Beliefs, I believe can be dangerous in and of themselves:

In the same way that scientific discoveries themselves are not dangerous, beliefs are not dangerous. It is only when beliefs lead to action that bad things can happen. A belief not acted on is as impotent as no belief at all.
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

jbark
#47 Posted : 5/31/2010 2:34:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

gibran2 wrote:
jbark wrote:
So while I generally respect peoples beliefs, I am no fool. They can be very dangerous. As of course, can the use of scientific discoveries. But the discoveries themselves are not dangerous, their applications are. Beliefs, I believe can be dangerous in and of themselves:

In the same way that scientific discoveries themselves are not dangerous, beliefs are not dangerous. It is only when beliefs lead to action that bad things can happen. A belief not acted on is as impotent as no belief at all.

yes, a fine line. But belief systems are CREATED to lead to and encourage certain behaviour and action. The scientific method was created to examine these beliefs:

Beliefs run deep: what you believe affects where you are, who you are, where you go, what you eat, how you spend your time, who you love, who you hate, what you do to those you love and hate, what you teach your children (if only by example)... No scientific discovery or objectively observed phenomena (or its subjective interpretation thereof) leads to immediate change or action. Until it becomes belief. That's when science is dangerous: when those who espouse it forget that it is not a system of belief, but an instrument of logical proof and forget that it IS subject to fallibility.

Science is by nature humble: it admits its errors and builds other models. Religion is arrogant: it admits no errors and creates unproveable and unchallengeable propositions and stagnates in its own foetid mess.

To put it even more bluntly, science is an instrument of long-term profound change and progression by virtue of its tenets' disprove-ability and its admission of fallibilty, whereas religion is for short term immediate change and, frankly, the status quo - being institutions that are unwavering in their exclusion of new ideas and the notion of evolution and change.

The mechanisms are different in my opinion, but I understand your point.

I generalize here, but far less than the generalizations propounded by others above (and likely below. As above, so below - finally understood this aphorism!Smile )

JBArk

jbark
#48 Posted : 5/31/2010 2:37:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ya wrote:
jbark wrote:
i believe proof when it is sound. I believe (cause i am not equipped to do the experiments myself) a group of people

Since you are admitting that your beliefs are exactly that: beliefs, that's great. Smile

I'm simply reminding the folks here who think that their "scientific" beliefs are FACTS.

Some of them ARE facts ya. the way facts are defined anyway. If not, you would have a different compound (or none at all, or an explosion, or you'd transmute into a lion....) every time you extracted from MHRB.

Surely you can see this? That MHRB contains DMT is a fact. And it is soluble in a non-polar solvent. That is a FACT. And is thus reliable and repeatable and scientific.

Why the derision for facts when you run your life by them?

Facts exist. denying this is insanity. And, I repeat - DANGEROUS.

JBArk

jbark
#49 Posted : 5/31/2010 4:11:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
I'm just amazed at the self-delusion of people who say, "I only speak of facts, I don't carry beliefs." B.S.

We agree entirely (on this point)! Finally!

i still maintain that beliefs that carry with them the humility to be proven wrong are more valid than those that rest on unprovable and un-disprovable dogma.

Quote:
"Observation Changes Electron's Behavior"

It is a theory, incidently, and no one claims it is fact. it is known as the copenhagen INTERPRETATION, not the copenhagen truth.

JBArk

EDIT: and you didn't answer my questions!Smile

Citta
#50 Posted : 5/31/2010 6:19:32 PM

Skepdick

Ya wrote:
OK, perfect example of how people, even I, forget that various "facts" are merely words we read which we believe:

"Observation Changes Electron's Behavior"
Now see, that statement is actually just a belief.
To be honest, would require admitting the following:
"I BELIEVE the report of some people, who CLAIM they read some report by some other people,
who CLAIM that THEY saw proof that electrons changed their movement pattern after a detector was added."

To take a third-hand report, and incorrectly call it "a fact", is the verbal mistake Scientist-believers make.
To take a third-hand report, and incorrectly call it "a fact", is the verbal mistake Religion-believers make.
To take a third-hand report, and incorrectly call it "a fact", is the verbal mistake All of us humans make.

I'm just amazed at the self-delusion of people who say, "I only speak of facts, I don't carry beliefs." B.S.
It is much more honest to instead say, "I believe the report that says Mr. A said that he saw X happen."
How can you possibly rationalize saying, "X happened. It's a scientific fact, not a belief. I'm against beliefs."?

Believing third-hand reports, yet DENYING you carry beliefs, that's very dishonest, to yourself and others.

Why are scientist-believers so afraid of adding the words "I believe" when talking about things they read?
And more to the point, why are scientist-believers so afraid of honestly, openly, sharing their biggest beliefs?
It sure is easy for Burnt to start threads which say, "Look at this (strawman) belief, totally proven wrong!"
Burnt, how about starting a thread which says, "I believe the following 10 scientific facts are undebunkable."

See, instead of telling us what you don't believe, tell us what you believe. That requires much more honesty.

The thing is that these facts, or beliefs as you claim them to be, can easily be proven again and again by others. You have one individual observing a phenomenon, he tells his friend about it and his friend gets curious. His friend goes out there and does the same observation, and then he tells all his friends and they do the very same - they go out there and test it. And then we have lots of people out there that have done pretty much the same observations. And that's why we accept them, because we can go out there ourselves and test it. If you did go out there and test it for yourself and make the same observation, is it then a belief? I don't see where you're trying to get at with this.

Citta
#51 Posted : 5/31/2010 6:47:01 PM

Skepdick

Ya wrote:
Citta wrote:
If you did go out there and test it for yourself and make the same observation, is it then a belief?

Exactly, if you tested something for yourself, then you can honestly say, "I tested this for myself."

And if you did not test something for yourself, it is honest to admit, "I believe others' reports about this."

Well sure, but so what? This just seems pointless to me, I'm sorry to say.

jbark
#52 Posted : 5/31/2010 6:57:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ya wrote:
Citta wrote:
If you did go out there and test it for yourself and make the same observation, is it then a belief?

Exactly, if you tested something for yourself, then you can honestly say, "I tested this for myself."

And if you did not test something for yourself, it is honest to admit, "I believe others' reports about this."

so you accept nothing as fact that you haven't verified yourself?

ever been to africa? India? mexico? If not how do you know they exist? Is the existence of africa a fact only if you have been there? And only if you have scrutinized every square inch of the continent?

i both believe Africa exists and have enough surrounding evidence that i feel i can say with authority that it exists as a fact without having to visit ever corner and every square inch.

you can call it a belief, but then we get into that philosophical quagmire of not being able to assert the reality or the factual existence of anything, and we're back to square one.

I submit, for simplicity's sake, that we admit that everything is a belief by virtue of it being filtered from our senses through our CNS (a copout stance, but simple enough), and within this domain there is a subset called "facts" that we believe because we or others can attest to their veracity and have subjected them to rigorous proofs. A subset which is distinct from "belief as faith". Call it "belief as fact" if its easier.

cheers,

JBArk

Citta
#53 Posted : 5/31/2010 7:01:23 PM

Skepdick

Ya wrote:
And thus, after endlessness and jbark made such a big fuss, we return to what I originally posted on this thread:

Ya wrote:

This brings us back to the flaw in the whole big religion-religion vs science-religion debate in general:
The religious believers believe words written by some people, without having the experience themselves.
The science believers believe words written by some people, without having the experience themselves.

But there is a fundemental difference. How can you not see that? Science and religion is NOT the same thing! Do I seriously have to go through this step by step? Science is biased on objective observations about natural phenomena in the material universe, how can this be anything close to religion as you seem to propose it is? Religion isn't even concerned about answering stuff like this. Would you ask a scientist or a religious man the following questions: "Why is there volcanic eruptions?". Or perhaps "What is the genetic code?", or "What basic elements is life composed of?" etc. And beliefs are not the same as facts for christ sakes..

jbark
#54 Posted : 5/31/2010 7:03:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ya wrote:
Citta wrote:

so you accept nothing as fact that you haven't verified yourself?

ever been to africa? India? mexico? If not how do you know they exist? Is the existence of africa a fact only if you have been there? And only if you have scrutinized every square inch of the continent?

i both believe Africa exists and have enough surrounding evidence that i feel i can say with authority that it exists as a fact without having to visit ever corner and every square inch.

you can call it a belief, but then we get into that philosophical quagmire of not being able to assert the reality or the factual existence of anything, and we're back to square one.

I submit, for simplicity's sake, that we admit that everything is a belief by virtue of it being filtered from our senses through our CNS (a copout stance, perhaps, but simple enough), and within this domain there is a subset called "facts" that we believe because we or others can attest to their veracity and have subjected them to rigorous proofs. A subset which is distinct from "belief as faith", which is basically everything else, from inspiring spiritual experiences to crackpot end of the world theories.

Call it "belief as fact" if its easier.

cheers,

JBArk

Saidin
#55 Posted : 5/31/2010 7:17:37 PM

Sun Dragon

Senior Member | Skills: Aquaponics, Channeling, Spirituality, Past Life Regression Hypnosis

burnt wrote:
I don't want to argue anymore. Sorry to not respond to posts but I don't wanna get worked up again for no reason.

Fair enough, but please consider this...

If there is no reason, then why do you get worked up at all?

If discussing things which include ideas that are outside your reality tunnel is upsetting your inner balance, and causing you distress, ask yourself why this is so. Because it has nothing to do with anyone else, it only has to do with you.

If your need to be right is so strong that you lash out in anger toward others who do not believe as you do, then this is providing you an excellent opportunity for personal growth. If your need to be right is stronger than your desire for the truth, then you will never find that which you seek.
What, you ask, was the beginning of it all?
And it is this...

Existence that multiplied itself
For sheer delight of being
And plunged into numberless trillions of forms
So that it might
Find
Itself
Innumerably.
-Sri Aubobindo

Saidin is a fictional character, and only exists in the collective unconscious. Therefore, we both do and do not exist. Everything is made up as we go along, and none of it is real.

Saidin
#56 Posted : 5/31/2010 7:36:27 PM

Sun Dragon

Senior Member | Skills: Aquaponics, Channeling, Spirituality, Past Life Regression Hypnosis

jbark wrote:
Beliefs are not founded on anything verifiable, repeatable or founded on anything subject to infallibility.

What about Buddhist beliefs? They are founded on verifiable, repeeatable experiences. They have been reproduced by tens of thousands of not far far more individuals over thousands of years. They are subject to infallability, but just as much so as an equal number scientists coming to the same conclusion about an experiement.

jbark wrote:
Yes, a fine line. But belief systems are CREATED to lead to and encourage certain behaviour and action.

Yes, but that is a belief SYSTEM, which is not the same as a belief. As said, beliefs in themselves are value neutral, it is when the get acted upon, or organized where they attain the value of "good" or "bad".
And it is this...

So that it might
Find
Itself
Innumerably.
-Sri Aubobindo

Saidin is a fictional character, and only exists in the collective unconscious. Therefore, we both do and do not exist. Everything is made up as we go along, and none of it is real.

Saidin
#57 Posted : 5/31/2010 7:46:43 PM

Sun Dragon

jbark wrote:

Science is by nature humble: it admits its errors and builds other models. Religion is arrogant: it admits no errors and creates unproveable and unchallengeable propositions and stagnates in its own foetid mess.

To put it even more bluntly, science is an instrument of long-term profound change and progression by virtue of its tenets' disprove-ability and its admission of fallibilty, whereas religion is for short term immediate change and, frankly, the status quo - being institutions that are unwavering in their exclusion of new ideas and the notion of evolution and change.

This would be true if we lived in a perfect world, in which we do not. Science by nature is humble, but you forget science is practiced by human beings, which may or may not be humble. Burnt is an excellent example of science not being humble, but instead being arrogant.

Science is slow to admit errors, though over time erroneous beliefs will be righted through continued evidence and experimentation. There is a status quo in science as well which is reluctant to change. Again because we are working with human beings, no one likes to see their life's work destroyed in an instant by some new discovery. I can understand it, but I do not condone it. The guardians of the status quo oftgen exclude anything that is too far out from the mainstream, even if there is good evidence for such...they stick to paradigms even when there is substantial observational evidence which calls those paradigms into question.

Some religions are as you describe, but not all of them.
And it is this...

So that it might
Find
Itself
Innumerably.
-Sri Aubobindo

jbark
#58 Posted : 5/31/2010 7:56:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Saidan - knew youd show up here sooner or later!

I need you to be more specific - are you refering to the belief in the tibetan book of the dead that death mAy be averted by making a small effigy of oneself, poking holes in it and filling them with bits of your own skin hair and blood and defecating on it before burying it near a stream?

Or perhaps the pan-buddhist assertion in the cycle of life, reincarnation and the ultimate attainment after death of buddahood/enlightenment? If this has been verifiable by objective repeatable means, please, educate me!

Or provide specific examples with attendant proofs that i can accept or refute. And please no empirical "ginseng proofs" : i.e. Millions of chinese for thousands of years can't be wrong. If that were the case the issue of gods existence would have been settled eons ago.

JBArk

Saidin
#59 Posted : 5/31/2010 7:59:02 PM

Sun Dragon

Citta wrote:
Would you ask a scientist or a religious man the following questions: "Why is there volcanic eruptions?". Or perhaps "What is the genetic code?", or "What basic elements is life composed of?" etc. And beliefs are not the same as facts for christ sakes..

Would you ask a scientist or a religious man the following questions: "What are morals?" "What are values whether economic, aesthetic or moral?" "What is the meaning of life or its purpose?"

There is not one route to everything, and science and religion are not incompatible, they just answer different questions.
And it is this...

So that it might
Find
Itself
Innumerably.
-Sri Aubobindo

Citta
#60 Posted : 5/31/2010 8:05:20 PM

Skepdick

Saidin wrote:
Citta wrote:
Would you ask a scientist or a religious man the following questions: "Why is there volcanic eruptions?". Or perhaps "What is the genetic code?", or "What basic elements is life composed of?" etc. And beliefs are not the same as facts for christ sakes..

Would you ask a scientist or a religious man the following questions: "What are morals?" "What are values whether economic, aesthetic or moral?" "What is the meaning of life or its purpose?"

There is not one route to everything, and science and religion are not incompatible, they just answer different questions.

And this is exactly the point I was trying to make, saying that science and religion is NOT the same thing, and that religion is not concerned with answering the same questions as science is and vice versa (or so it ought to be). Read my post again.

PREV12345NEXT»