We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV1234NEXT
A Name for the Rue Concoction Options

BananaForeskin
#21 Posted : 5/21/2010 10:47:10 PM

I Eat Plant Magic

The Quran may forbid any type of intoxicants, but not only is coffee a large part of both Arab and Turkish culture but cannabis has a strong historical correspondence with Sufism... I also doubt the Taoists do heroin for the spiritual possibilities therein. Mysticism of all forms involves communion with God/the other side, and true psychedelics of all forms do as well. I don't see how knowing some Sufis with a penchant against intoxicants means that Sufis who use rue are any less Sufi.

(I concede about the Kykeon, you know much more than I!)
¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º¨

.^.^.^.^.^.^(0)=õ

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Entropymancer
#22 Posted : 5/22/2010 12:33:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumModerator | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumChemical expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumSenior Member | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorum

Quote:
Secondly, ergot is basically poisonous. People die from eating it and with the most excruciating pain. No one has proposed a single preparation that removed the poisonous effects from ergot. Thirdly, ergot is quite noticeable and a ugly sight. Despite there have been some poisoning in the middle ages, for the most part people have learned that that blackish thing on the grains of rye was basically Bad Mojo and could kill whole villages!

Hoffman et al enthusiastic with LSD, made the obvious XXth century connection LSD -> Ergot -> Barley -> Kykeon, which is actually pretty naive and does not hold water by any serious researcher in the area.

I have to object on two points here. First, Hofmann's enthusiasm for LSD had little (if anything) to do with the theory. It was Wasson's brainchild, and it's Wasson's penchant for seeing fungi at the heart of every mystical experience that can be blamed/credited for the proposition. Hoffman's only role was in suggesting the means by which a nontoxic psychoactive preparation might be concocted from ergot.

On that point, a preparation by which ergot might be taken without the poisoning syndrome has been suggested: cold water. It would dissolve the psychoactive amides, but not the toxic clavine alkaloids.

Another point that argues for the ergot hypothesis is the inclusion of mint in the recipe. As pretty much anyone who has consumed lysergic acid amides with mint can attest, it dramatically changes the experience for the better.

Personally I haven't fully made up my mind on the subject, but ergot is a compelling candidate.

jamie
#23 Posted : 5/22/2010 12:41:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

picatris wrote:
fractal enchantment wrote:
picatris wrote:
brews with Rue have a tradtional name..its Haoma and has been Haoma for thousands of years. Haoma is rue as a base with admixtures..just like ayahuasca is caapi as a base with admixtures..to me it doesnt matter what the admixtures are.

Hi fractal, I do dig this stuff and would really like to see a source for that assertion!

There is an entire subforum of the ayahuasca forums dedicated to a sufi group that uses syrian rue brews, to them rue is the haoma..these people are sufi and know a hell of a lot more about the reality of rue based brews in ancient sufiism than I do..so you might want to check that out.

hmmm... Sufis on the Internet using psychedelics... even though the Quran forbids any type of intoxicants Smile I know a couple of real Sufis with whom I have I have discussed the use of several substances, and they have quoted me the appropriate suras why they could not do it. [Also on the subject of sufis.net I've heard about some Real Taoists that shoot heroin and post on Twitter and Genuine Tibetan Lamas hooked on MDMA on facebook (sorry couldn't resist! Laughing ]

About the use of harmala in Islamic countries, it is used, as you know, for cast away the evil spirits and to neutralize the enchantments do Djinns. However it is used always by burning the seeds as incense. There are no records of its ingestion

please define "real sufi"
Long live the unwoke.

jamie
#24 Posted : 5/22/2010 12:54:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

I was going to just post a link to the section for the sufi group on the ayahuasca forums..but it seems you have to be a specially selected member now to even access that area..which I am not.

Here is an interview though with the founder of the group..this guy IS a "real sufi", and was innitiated into the sufi order..he gets into all the stuff you mentioned above picatris reguarding the Quran and entheogens.

http://in-a-perfect-worl...010-01-04T17_21_24-08_00
Long live the unwoke.

picatris
#25 Posted : 5/22/2010 8:55:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

please define "real sufi"

There's only way to define it, someone who was accepted in a Sufi Order. There are a couple of orders, mainly Egyptian and Turkish, but I sincerely do not know in which my acquaintance was initiated. We have discussed the whirling dervishes which he mentioned were not a common practice in his order.

I know almost nothing about Sufism, just what I was told from first hand experience, and one of the things is that they do not consume intoxicants in any form. Perhaps there are some "rebel sufis" who do drugs, but these are not, nor ever been the dominant current. I would love to see a study on Entheogens used by Sufi Orders, but so far no such luck.

"The elfclowns of hyperspace are already juggling in the center ring. Hurry! Hurry!" T.M

picatris
#26 Posted : 5/22/2010 9:08:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Entropymancer wrote:

On that point, a preparation by which ergot might be taken without the poisoning syndrome has been suggested: cold water. It would dissolve the psychoactive amides, but not the toxic clavine alkaloids.

Another point that argues for the ergot hypothesis is the inclusion of mint in the recipe. As pretty much anyone who has consumed lysergic acid amides with mint can attest, it dramatically changes the experience for the better.

Personally I haven't fully made up my mind on the subject, but ergot is a compelling candidate.

Thanks for the info. I read about the cold water extraction, the issue is that no one has tried it. I certainly wouldn't. Ergot is a wild mix of alkaloids, way, way different from Ipomoea or Rivea seeds. The only way to even include this as remote candidate for the kykeon is to produce and test such a beverage.

Again making my point on standard tryptamines, the experience of Ayahuasca or a close relative is a Soul revealing religious event, something which is not quite what happens on LSD. Furthermore the duration of the LSD and ergot derivatives lasts for too many hours, which do not appear as natural for a religious experience. Of course Iboga lasts for up to 3 days, but the nature and purpose of the Bwiti ceremony is radically different from what we know about the Eleusis Mysteries

"The elfclowns of hyperspace are already juggling in the center ring. Hurry! Hurry!" T.M

Dorge
#27 Posted : 5/22/2010 9:10:57 AM

Chen Cho Dorge

Soooo
we dont know if rue was hoama.... BUT we do know that it was and still is called esphand.
Soooo wouldnt that be its name then?
Dorge is cooperatively owned and cooperatively run by various hyperspacial entities working as a collabertive sentience project for the betterment of sentient exploration.

Offical Changa web sitehttp://changa.esotericpharma.org/

Dorge
#28 Posted : 5/22/2010 9:13:33 AM

Chen Cho Dorge

Aspand bla band
Barakati Shah Naqshband
Jashmi heach jashmi khaish
Jashmi dost wa dooshmani bad andish
Be sosa der hamin atashi taze.

Here is his English translation:

This is Aspand, it banishes the Evil Eye
The blessing of King Naqshband
Eye of nothing, Eye of relatives
Eye of friends, Eye of enemies
Whoever is bad should burn in this glowing fire.
Dorge is cooperatively owned and cooperatively run by various hyperspacial entities working as a collabertive sentience project for the betterment of sentient exploration.

BananaForeskin
#29 Posted : 5/22/2010 10:34:20 AM

I Eat Plant Magic

"Rebel sufis who do drugs"? For Christ's sake, Sufism has traditionally gone hand-in-hand with cannabis use!

Here's the first source google handed me after the search "sufism hashish filetype: pdf"
A peer-reviewed, academic article entitled "Hashish in Islam".

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih....lnyacadmed00095-0056.pdf

Although it does mention that many Sufi masters and modern Sufi ascetics live a drug-free lifestyle, it makes no attempt to hide how intertwined they were at times.

Also, to Dorge, the problem with using the Aspand ritual is that although it utilizes Syrian Rue seeds, the ritual doesn't have the same method or intention as either rue+DMT or as haoma would have. Aspand is a ritual, where the seeds are burnt as incense to ward off the evil eye; haoma was a drink taken to better understand the universe and come into contact with God. Rue as an ayalogue is much much closer to haoma than to the aspand rite.

.^.^.^.^.^.^(0)=õ

picatris
#30 Posted : 5/22/2010 3:09:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

BananaForeskin wrote:
"Rebel sufis who do drugs"? For Christ's sake, Sufism has traditionally gone hand-in-hand with cannabis use!

Here's the first source google handed me after the search "sufism hashish filetype: pdf"
A peer-reviewed, academic article entitled "Hashish in Islam".

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih....lnyacadmed00095-0056.pdf

Although it does mention that many Sufi masters and modern Sufi ascetics live a drug-free lifestyle, it makes no attempt to hide how intertwined they were at times.

Thanks for the link! Great read. Yet it does indeed confirm my assertion. From the paper:
Quote:

Most Sufis then and now practiced asceticism and a drug-free life to reach a true mystical experience. All the great Sufi mystics and saints such as al-Kalahabhi, al-Bistami, al-Ghazzali, and al-Islami rejected the use of the psychoactive drugs, which they considered a diabolic perversion. Today the order comprises thousands of deeply serious and devout men and women in nearly every Islamic country. Of al Moslems, they are prob-ably the most aloof and inaccessible to Europeans. They practice a strict ascetic discipline to cleanse body and soul

This was precisely what my friend told me. Also if you read the paper, it goes on to mention the much larger importance of alcohol in Islam, for which kif was a substitute for the majority of the population. Thus you could as well defend that alcohol was approved in Islamic countries, which it never was.

To summarize my point of view, I'm not arguing that drugs are bad or whatever (or I would not be here in the Nexus!) Just that I believe that some traditions have lived quite happily for centuries without using or needing them. And this is the case for sufis. I'm also not implying that no sufis used hashish. Some of them of course did, and the paper mentions some occurrences, but the general sufi orders were not users, and its use is banned for probably all of the current orders.

Another thing which I found interesting in the paper but which carries away even further from our subject is that the use of cannabis in the early times was by eating it. Smoking it appeared only about the XIII century.

BananaForeskin
#31 Posted : 5/22/2010 7:14:48 PM

I Eat Plant Magic

The point I am trying to make isn't that Sufis or Muslims used hashish recreationally, which they did, but that the Sufis used it as an entheogen. Yes, Muslims did and do drink despite it being prohibited in Quran... but that's for recreation. I just wanted to make the point about entheogen use; that in some recognized Sufi sects it is permitted.

"some of the Sufis did use hashish in their religious observances... Some Sufis, as many Indian holy men had 20 centuries earlier, claimed the gentle herb expanded consciousness, brought insight, peace and repose, and closeness to God."

Many people of many religions use many different recreational drugs, but the only cases I'm interested in are the cases of entheogenic drug use. And it's entirely within the bounds of the overarching Sufi doctrine to use entheogens... Yes, intoxicants may be forbidden by the Quran, but Sufism itself (despite close, close, close ties to Islam) recognizes (unlike Islam) that the Quran is not the final word on the matter, God is. Sufism itself exists outside the boundaries of Islam, although most Sufis do recognize the Quran as the most complete holy text thus far.

Use of rue to come in contact with God isn't strictly proscribed, although probably frowned upon by the majority of modern Sufis. I see no reason why the Sufi group on the aya forum are any less Sufi than others.

.^.^.^.^.^.^(0)=õ

Dorge
#32 Posted : 5/22/2010 10:06:53 PM

Chen Cho Dorge

Aspand is not the name of the ritual its the name of the plant. Espand, Esphand ect... My point is there is no evidence that hoama WAS actually rue... its just a theory. We have no idea really if its true. The only tradition of its continued use is burning it...
Makes a great changa ; )

picatris
#33 Posted : 5/22/2010 10:52:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You made your point clearly and I fully agree with you on most other aspects, except for the use of rue by sufis, and your following statement

BananaForeskin wrote:
I see no reason why the Sufi group on the aya forum are any less Sufi than others.

I will only point to the following link of the "Fatimiya Sufi Order", yes the one on the Ayahuasca Forum. It's just their home page: http://fatimiyasufiorder.org/ Then browse through their documents. For instance, their sacred "Liber Decatriarchia Mystica" By Wahid Azal, which follows the terminology of Aleister Crowley and cites the "Golden Dawn" by Regardie and "Godwin's Qabbalistic Encyclopedia"(!). This volume, now fully online, is, according to the site, "the author’s inspired re-write of the Sefer Yetzirah (Book of Creation) to reflect this qabbalistic Tree. LIBER DECATRIARCHIA MYSTICA is Hermeticism, the post-Islamic Bayani gnostic path and the High Sufism of Ibn ‘Arabi married to shamanism and Qabbalah."

I will never bash any religion, no matter how strange and out-of-focus they may seem. But I will let everyone form their own conclusions from the information above.

Entropymancer
#34 Posted : 5/22/2010 11:30:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumModerator | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumChemical expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumSenior Member | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorum

Dorge wrote:
Aspand is not the name of the ritual its the name of the plant. Espand, Esphand ect... My point is there is no evidence that hoama WAS actually rue... its just a theory. We have no idea really if its true. The only tradition of its continued use is burning it...
Makes a great changa ; )

I'll have to dig out the Flattery & Schwartz book for the bibliography (I think their arguments about soma are flawed, but they are very well-versed in Zoroastrian history), but I'm pretty certain that we know haoma was rue. We don't know if rue was the original haoma, but it appears to have been at least back to the time during which the Avesta was composed. I'll dig through my books and notes later to check on that.

Ginkgo
#35 Posted : 5/22/2010 11:44:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Entropymancer wrote:
I'll have to dig out the Flattery & Schwartz book for the bibliography (I think their arguments about soma are flawed, but they are very well-versed in Zoroastrian history), but I'm pretty certain that we know haoma was rue. We don't know if rue was the original haoma, but it appears to have been at least back to the time during which the Avesta was composed. I'll dig through my books and notes later to check on that.

Then what about Ephedra spp.? I can't see that Peganum harmala is a better candidate as haoma than Ephedra is. As far as I am aware, haoma is never mentioned as an hallucinogen - only as stimulating, physically strengthening and as a healing plant.

All can be said about ephedrine from Ephedra - it is a great stimulant and also relieves some physical symptoms of diseases such as the cold or influenza. In addition, over 100 years ago a group in Iran was found to use Ephedra under the names hum or homa, very similar to haoma.

Dorge
#36 Posted : 5/23/2010 12:11:19 AM

Chen Cho Dorge

Entropymancer wrote:
Dorge wrote:
Makes a great changa ; )

I read their work too... I think it is also flawed and sort of pushing it. there is really no way of telling. This is one of the real problems I have with some of the entheo-history theories. There is just so much speculation, and little concrete evidence.

camdemonium
#37 Posted : 9/9/2010 5:30:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ruemosa?
Om Mani Padme Hum

BecometheOther
#38 Posted : 11/18/2010 7:55:06 PM

metamorhpasizer

I already named it years ago... It's Harmalosa <<<<<<<<<<
You have never been apart from me. You can never depart and never return, for we are continuous, indistinguishable. We are eternal forever

BecometheOther
#39 Posted : 11/18/2010 7:59:35 PM

metamorhpasizer

Seriously! Its got a nice ring to it..
You have never been apart from me. You can never depart and never return, for we are continuous, indistinguishable. We are eternal forever

jamie
#40 Posted : 11/18/2010 8:21:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

to me rue is soma..
I ate rue xtals for the first time a few days ago, sort of an unexpected trip..licking them off my fingers in an unknown ammount..not alot, just wanted it off my fingers..didnt look like much but it started to hit me hard and it was really really nice..I lay there thinking that I would be surprised if this wasnt the soma..sure seems a damn good candidate..
Long live the unwoke.

PREV1234NEXT