We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT»
Scientists Create First Synthetic Cell Options

SoCal
#1 Posted : 5/20/2010 7:07:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Aegle
#2 Posted : 5/20/2010 7:23:16 PM

Cloud Whisperer

Senior Member | Skills: South African botanicals, Mushroom cultivator, Changa enthusiast, Permaculture, Counselling, Photography, Writing

Speechless... Its a sad sad day...

Much Peace and Compassion
The Nexus Art Gallery | The Nexian | DMT Nexus Research | The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

The fate of our times is characterised by rationalisation and intellectualisation and, above all, by the disenchantment of the world.

Following a Path of Compassion and Heart

Infundibulum
#3 Posted : 5/20/2010 8:16:07 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Aegle wrote:
Speechless... Its a sad sad day...

Much Peace and Compassion

Sad day? Why?

These things are tools and they can be used for good or bad. Think about other inventions like knives. It is people who use things in a good or bad way.

By your statement I predict that this your saddest days must have been when:

1. We utilised fire
2. We created the wheel.
3. We made tools out of copper
4. We made tools out of iron.

All the above events have contributed to innumerable grief throughout human history.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

ohayoco
#4 Posted : 5/20/2010 9:38:35 PM
DMT-Nexus member

5. We became gods!

Worship us, lowly synthetic bacteria, or we shall confine ye to hell! (=waste incinerator) Twisted Evil
Everything I write is fictional roleplay. Obviously! End tribal genocide: www.survival-international.org Quick petitions for meaningful change: www.avaaz.org/en/
End prohibition: www.leap.cc www.tdpf.org.uk And "Feeling Good" by David D.Burns MD is a very useful book.

ohayoco
#5 Posted : 5/20/2010 9:43:37 PM
DMT-Nexus member

(Ohayoco makes resolution to buy ant farm, put souvenir Aztec temple in it, then torment them until they start sacrificing each other in My honour) Pleased
Everything I write is fictional roleplay. Obviously! End tribal genocide: www.survival-international.org Quick petitions for meaningful change: www.avaaz.org/en/
End prohibition: www.leap.cc www.tdpf.org.uk And "Feeling Good" by David D.Burns MD is a very useful book.

Infundibulum
#6 Posted : 5/20/2010 9:49:16 PM

ModeratorChemical expert

ohayoco wrote:
5. We became gods!

Worship us, lowly synthetic bacteria, or we shall confine ye to hell! (=waste incinerator) Twisted Evil

Gods, nah, not really. The invention or creation is already over-hyped. Scientists did not exactly create life out of nothing, he basically replaced the genome of a bacterium with a man-made genome. This is analogous to transplanting brain between humans. It is a nice proof-of-principle demonstration though and it does have a lot of potential.

ohayoco
#7 Posted : 5/20/2010 9:58:04 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Bummer. Back to the meditation and entheogens then.

Virola78
#8 Posted : 5/21/2010 11:03:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

From the article:
"...This is literally a turning point in the relationship between man and nature," said molecular biologist Richard Ebright at Rutgers University..."

WTF?
Am i not nature?

I feel discriminated.
“The most important thing in illness is never to lose heart.” -Nikolai Lenin

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Aegle
#9 Posted : 5/21/2010 11:37:16 AM

Cloud Whisperer

Senior Member | Skills: South African botanicals, Mushroom cultivator, Changa enthusiast, Permaculture, Counselling, Photography, Writing

Disconnection from nature and disrupting the natural harmony of life can never be a positive thing... There are countless examples that what we think of as advancement and so called progress clearly is not, we sadly as a species are devolving.

Much Peace and Awareness
The Nexus Art Gallery | The Nexian | DMT Nexus Research | The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook

The fate of our times is characterised by rationalisation and intellectualisation and, above all, by the disenchantment of the world.

Virola78
#10 Posted : 5/21/2010 12:24:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Aegle wrote:
Disconnection from nature and disrupting the natural harmony of life can never be a positive thing... There are countless examples that what we think of as advancement and so called progress clearly is not, we sadly as a species are devolving.

Much Peace and Awareness

Aegle, i VERY MUCH appreciate what motivates you, don't let there be any misunderstanding about that.
But i regret (because i think) you feel dissociated from nature.

In my opinion the supposed 'split' between man and nature, is the problem. The word schizophrenic comes to mind.

“The most important thing in illness is never to lose heart.” -Nikolai Lenin

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Infundibulum
#11 Posted : 5/21/2010 12:34:39 PM

ModeratorChemical expert

Aegle wrote:

Much Peace and Awareness

I take it that your best dream in life is to become an ape or some other animal? That you lick yourself clean instead of using soap, because soap, what many think as a potential advancement has contributed to sanitisation methods which means more people alive to pollute, make war, and cause grief?

Also, funny how you are against disconnecting from nature and disrupting harmony of life. I presume you're an expert on what makes the life harmonious? Or you think you know Nature better than other people? Also, funny how you keep on using internet. Internet does not grow on trees last time I checked and its use also takes its toll on Nature's reserves. I suggest you stop what you do altogether and go live deep in the jungle up a tree and do not use any form of technology in fear you may get devolved, right?

You sound like a very self righteous person.

ohayoco
#12 Posted : 5/21/2010 12:53:52 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Come on now you two, let's not have ANOTHER argument on here. You both have very good points, try to see the truth in each other's words. Nature is cruel and destructive, as well as kind and nurturing. People can be cruel and destructive, as well as kind and nurturing. Same for animals. Same for technology. People are part of nature, and they reflect both the 'good' and the 'bad' within it.

I am glad I live in the modern world, personally, despite its many faults. If I had to gamble and make a choice of which to be teleported into, I'd choose our future over our past... the choice of an optimist Smile

Infundibulum
#13 Posted : 5/21/2010 1:13:50 PM

ModeratorChemical expert

ohayoco wrote:
Come on now you two, let's not have ANOTHER argument on here. You both have very good points, try to see the truth in each other's words. Nature is cruel and destructive, as well as kind and nurturing. People can be cruel and destructive, as well as kind and nurturing. Same for animals. Same for technology. People are part of nature, and they reflect both the 'good' and the 'bad' within it.

I am glad I live in the modern world, personally, despite its many faults. If I had to gamble and make a choice of which to be teleported into, I'd choose our future over our past... the choice of an optimist Smile

Well, that's exactly my point!

Entropymancer
#14 Posted : 5/21/2010 2:23:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumModerator | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumChemical expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumSenior Member | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorum

But I thought nature was all peace and love and butterflies and fluffiness, all that violence and destruction and cruelty is just a side-product of nasty humans and their technology Confused

Entropymancer
#15 Posted : 5/21/2010 2:32:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumModerator | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumChemical expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumSenior Member | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorum

Or to take it from another angle (paraphrasing Dan Dennett's bemused comments on the subject): People have a hard time looking at human creations in an evolutionary context. Ask them if the spiderweb is a product of evolution? Of course. How about the world wide web? That one they don't like so much. Beaver dam? Yes. Hoover Dam? No. Laughing

Aegle
#16 Posted : 5/21/2010 4:04:42 PM

Cloud Whisperer

There is nothing wrong with technology, I think its incredible the amount of knowledge and positivity which is created through advances of technology. But when people utilise technology which interferes and disrupts the natural flow of life, nothing positive or constructive can come from technology harnessed in this manner. Humans should focus advances in technology towards making sure no child has to starve and go hungry rather than being focused on control and material gain. (Sadly this lack of insight is due to ignorance) This is why I feel humans are devolving, we as a society have very little if any sense of community or compassion left...

Much Peace and Sunshine

Infundibulum
#17 Posted : 5/21/2010 4:28:41 PM

ModeratorChemical expert

Aegle wrote:
There is nothing wrong with technology, I think its incredible the amount of knowledge and positivity which is created through advances of technology. But when people utilise technology which interferes and disrupts the natural flow of life, nothing positive or constructive can come from technology harnessed in this manner.

I still need to ask whether you use soap and what you believe of it as a technological advancement. According to your assertion soap is very very bad; it interferes with the natural flow of life by giving a hygienic advantage to those who use it, thus reducing the naturally expected mortality rates. This is a clear intervention with natural flow and also causes devolution since it does not allow the advancement of human immune system and antimicrobial protection.

Aegle wrote:
Humans should focus advances in technology towards making sure no child has to starve and go hungry rather than being focused on control and material gain. (Sadly this lack of insight is due to ignorance) This is why I feel humans are devolving, we as a society have very little if any sense of community or compassion left...

The vast majority of technological advancements aim to help humanity. Yes, this includes trying to help starving children. How do you know that this "synthetic life" that you already condemned (remember, it was a sad day for you) will not be used to this end? you know that it has the potential, don't you? Again, my point is on how one uses technology. All technologies can be used in a good or bad way. Even feeding starving children can be bad if one plans to make an army of them when they grow older and spread warfare!

Anyway Aegle, up to now you have made statements that have been criticised and thus far you have not addressed any one of the criticisms directly. I really do not know what kind of arguing you use here but to me it appears that you chant a meaningless mantra just as many leftist or rightist fanatics often do, covering their inability to perform a rational discourse. Judging by your robotic answers one could even go as far as calling you a robo-hippie!

Addressing rationally my statements and criticisms would be a nice thing.

jbark
#18 Posted : 5/21/2010 4:33:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

[quote=Entropymancer]Or to take it from another angle (paraphrasing Dan Dennett's bemused comments on the subject): People have a hard time looking at human creations in an evolutionary context. Ask them if the spiderweb is a product of evolution? Of course. How about the world wide web? That one they don't like so much. Beaver dam? Yes. Hoover Dam? No. Laughinglll

love it! I will be quoting that "dam" reference all the time! (puns always intended all ways)

people tend to forget that there is no set of nature that does not include humanity. We are as much a part of the equation as a beaver, the tree he fells, the hut he builds and the river he dams.

In fact ill go one step further: there is no equation WITHOUT us. And that includes our technology which, as entropymaster deftly points out, is a function of evolution and an integral part of an adaptive strategy. And it can be used for ill, or by will for good - and both are utterly and indivisibly "natural" whether or not we care to admit it.

And, ironically, i would venture that it is most often used for ill BECAUSE we have created this dichotomy! So get off the luddite high horse, accept that there is no us & them, no nature without humanity, and let's all consciously become part of the solution by doing so!Smile

JBArk
JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.

ThirdEyeVision
#19 Posted : 5/21/2010 5:18:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This new technology of being able to re-program a cell can go to the extreme in either direction.

It could be programed to eat cancer cells then die...
It could be programed to eat oil spilling into the gulf of Mexico...
It could be programed to.... get you high Wink .....
It could be programed to eat the flesh off your bones and procreate....
What was that movie where these alien bugs ate metal and ruined the world? Yeah it could do that.

My point, hopefully the technology doesn't get into the wrong hands. You think the atom bomb is bad? Imagine a small canister of programed flesh eating bacteria that flies and procreates......

The more I think about it this is very much like playing God. Aegle, I think I'm in your camp here.
ThirdEyeVision
It's the third eye vision, five side dimension
The 8th Light, is gonna shine bright tonight

jbark
#20 Posted : 5/21/2010 6:54:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ThirdEyeVision wrote:

The more I think about it this is very much like playing God. Aegle, I think I'm in your camp here.

what about planting seeds, making fire, baking bread, creating language, organizing into agrarian societies, building shelter, sculpting marble, writing books, philosophizing, curing, eradicating or treating diseases or illnesses like polio, tuberculosis, rickets, influenza, painting on canvas, assembling the microchip you used to communicate with us, or firing neurotransmitter analogues into your cerebral cortex to artificially alter your consciousness - are any of these "playing god"?

They are all technologies that i am sure in their times caused a lot of people to question whether we were entitled and whether or not we were arrogantly parading as god(s).

Again, i reiterate, the only reason to think this is if you have taken us (humanity) out of the equation (nature). I will end here or my beliefs will spark a debate about free will and determinism, already the subject of another fascinating thread.

JBArk the natural humanVery happy
JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.

123NEXT»