We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Quantum teleportation achieved over ten miles of free space Options

Saidin
#1 Posted : 5/20/2010 6:51:58 PM

Sun Dragon

Senior Member | Skills: Aquaponics, Channeling, Spirituality, Past Life Regression Hypnosis

This is pretty cool. Forget Star Trek transporters in the future! More like Stargates with instant travel anywhere we want to go!

Quantum teleportation achieved over ten miles of free space
By Casey Johnston
http://arstechnica.com/s...rss&utm_campaign=rss

Quote:
Quantum teleportation has achieved a new milestone or, should we say, a new ten-milestone: scientists have recently had success teleporting information between photons over a free space distance of nearly ten miles, an unprecedented length. The researchers who have accomplished this feat note that this brings us closer to communicating information without needing a traditional signal, and that the ten miles they have reached could span the distance between the surface of the earth and space.

As we've explained before, "quantum teleportation" is quite different from how many people imagine teleportation to work. Rather than picking one thing up and placing it somewhere else, quantum teleportation involves entangling two things, like photons or ions, so their states are dependent on one another and each can be affected by the measurement of the other's state.

When one of the items is sent a distance away, entanglement ensures that changing the state of one causes the other to change as well, allowing the teleportation of quantum information, if not matter. However, the distance particles can be from each other has been limited so far to a number of meters.

Teleportation over distances of a few hundred meters has previously only been accomplished with the photons traveling in fiber channels to help preserve their state. In this particular experiment, researchers maximally entangled two photons using both spatial and polarization modes and sent the one with higher energy through a ten-mile-long free space channel. They found that the distant photon was still able to respond to changes in state of the photon they held onto even at this unprecedented distance.

However, the long-distance teleportation of a photon is only a small step towards developing applications for the procedure. While photons are good at transmitting information, they are not as good as ions at allowing manipulation, an advancement we'd need for encryption. Researchers were also able to maintain the fidelity of the long-distance teleportation at 89 percentβ€” decent enough for information, but still dangerous for the whole-body human teleportation that we're all looking forward to.
What, you ask, was the beginning of it all?
And it is this...

Existence that multiplied itself
For sheer delight of being
And plunged into numberless trillions of forms
So that it might
Find
Itself
Innumerably.
-Sri Aubobindo

Saidin is a fictional character, and only exists in the collective unconscious. Therefore, we both do and do not exist. Everything is made up as we go along, and none of it is real.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

TheReadyAwakening
#2 Posted : 5/21/2010 4:40:33 AM

Jimmy

Amazing!

It seems we're getting ever closer to achieving deep space travel! Though I'm not sure as to whether this is a good thing or not...
β€œEgo is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable.” - Terence McKenna

pau
#3 Posted : 5/21/2010 4:47:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

T-Pac says, "You are your own wormhole."
WHOA!

vovin
#4 Posted : 5/21/2010 5:16:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Prototype and Design Engineer amongst other things, Craftsman

There was a documentary awhile back I seen that said they achieved teleportation of 6 miles.
If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing.

Entropymancer
#5 Posted : 5/21/2010 5:26:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumModerator | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumChemical expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumSenior Member | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorum

TheReadyAwakening wrote:
Amazing!

It seems we're getting ever closer to achieving deep space travel! Though I'm not sure as to whether this is a good thing or not...

What implications does this have for space travel? Am I missing something?

This achievement is impressive, but it involves teleporting information, not matter. The entangled particles have to be separated by moving them away from each other. The impressive part is that information can still be instantaneously be communicated between them... data transfer faster than the speed of light!

Saidin
#6 Posted : 5/21/2010 5:30:39 AM

Sun Dragon

Senior Member | Skills: Aquaponics, Channeling, Spirituality, Past Life Regression Hypnosis

Entropymancer wrote:

While prelimanary, it hopefully means that in time we will be able to transport matter, rather than energy, as everything at its core essense is energy/information. This means that one day, if this technology is taken to where the implications lead, we can have stargates that will allow us to instantaneously travel between here and the Moon/Mars/Europa, other planetary systems and beyond.
What, you ask, was the beginning of it all?
And it is this...

Existence that multiplied itself
For sheer delight of being
And plunged into numberless trillions of forms
So that it might
Find
Itself
Innumerably.
-Sri Aubobindo

Saidin is a fictional character, and only exists in the collective unconscious. Therefore, we both do and do not exist. Everything is made up as we go along, and none of it is real.

vovin
#7 Posted : 5/21/2010 10:24:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Prototype and Design Engineer amongst other things, Craftsman

Entropymancer wrote:
TheReadyAwakening wrote:
Amazing!

This achievement is impressive, but it involves teleporting information, not matter. The entangled particles have to be separated by moving them away from each other. The impressive part is that information can still be instantaneously be communicated between them... data transfer faster than the speed of light!

You are correct the term teleportation IMHO is one of the worst terms they could have used for this phenomena as many who are not familiar with quantum physics instantly assume matter itself is being sent. But the ability to send data to essentially any point in the universe does have major benefits if it could be mastered. As of now to communicate with the mars rovers data must travel a considerable distance which results in a big time lag. With this technology one could send out probes throughout the universe and attain information in real time and be able to control these probes again in real time. It would extend our reach to infinity given the time for these probes to reach their destination.
If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing.

Entropymancer
#8 Posted : 5/21/2010 2:43:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumModerator | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumChemical expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumSenior Member | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorum

Yeah, teleportation is a terrible term for the phenomenon. But I agree, it's a huge achievement. I just wanted to dispel the notion that this could have feasible implications for space travel.

Matter will never be able to be directly teleported through quantum entanglement. The only way this could relate to the teleportation of matter is if you encoded a procedure for compiling matter in the signal, and at the receiving end you had a high fidelity matter compiler that constructs the desired matter by plucking protons, neutrons, and electrons from whatever is handy and smashes them into the desired atoms and molecules (currently way beyond our technological grasp). Of course, this is more like faxing then it is like teleportation, as you'd still have the original copy at the sending end, as well as a new copy at the receiving end. Even if one were able to encode the structure of a person (down to the level at which memory is stored), it wouldn't be the same person coming out the other end, it'd be a copy with a separate consciousness from the original person (though presumably it would feel its consciousness to be continuous with the original). Scary thought, and not the kind of "teleportation" I think most people would be comfortable with.

jbark
#9 Posted : 5/21/2010 6:08:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

[quote=Entropymancer Even if one were able to encode the structure of a person (down to the level at which memory is stored), it wouldn't be the same person coming out the other end, it'd be a copy with a separate consciousness from the original person (though presumably it would feel its consciousness to be continuous with the original). Scary thought, and not the kind of "teleportation" I think most people would be comfortable with.[/quote]

i have a screenplay developed around precisely this idea - Two conscious identical beings, one a copy the other an original; and what if the two should meet? Was never made into a film, but maybe now the time is right!Cool

fascinating times we live in.

JBArk
JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.

pau
#10 Posted : 5/21/2010 6:39:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Perhaps teleportation can be improved with this recent application:

Scientific American magazine reports that being in two places at once is now possible (the physics section is always a great read after a cup of well-brewed tea):

http://www.scientificamerican.c...hone-puts-visible-object

Evidently, an object the size of a hair consisting of 10 trillion atoms has been split into it's two separate quantum states in two separate places at once.
WHOA!

Dorge
#11 Posted : 5/22/2010 7:25:11 AM

Chen Cho Dorge

pau wrote:
T-Pac says, "You are your own wormhole."

darn tootin...
Dorge is cooperatively owned and cooperatively run by various hyperspacial entities working as a collabertive sentience project for the betterment of sentient exploration.

Offical Changa web sitehttp://changa.esotericpharma.org/

Gir
#12 Posted : 5/22/2010 3:34:46 PM

Gir

My ultimate desire is to be able to have a teleportation system. First place I would go? Amazon to get fresh caapi and Mimosa. Second place I would go? Switzerland, then Netherlands, Austria, and Hungary. Finally I would pop by China and get as many bottles of Marinol as I could.

Mad Then theres the obvious daily travelling issues.

I live in a city with a LOT of traffic (as Im sure most of you guys do) in the mornings, afternoons and nights. I also am a proud owner of a motorcycle.

Teleportation would take care of traffic in the mornings. Im sure they wouldnt be available for personal use for quite some time. But think of this:

A teleport disc, roughly 6.5" in diameter, placed outside ones house. This disc would have a control, also outside (possibly portable, iphone app anyone Razz?) that would have programmable destinations. A user could input another disc's 'frequency' or possible a numeric hard coded address, and simply zzaaaap. Hah. you could just walk out your door with the destination set and bam, keep walking..

Mmm, just my thoughts. Had to get them out to some peoples.

-gir
Lets go extract something together Smile

house wrote:
19:10:05 β€Ήhouseβ€Ί mama aya gave me lego man eye healers

Smoke Spice, NOW

Gir likes to tell lies, and the truth, but gir cant even tell the difference between them...

http://www.thevenusproject.com/index.phpTHIS IS THE VENUS PROJECT.

pau
#13 Posted : 5/22/2010 8:28:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Unfortunately, the next generation of U.S. Passports have a secruity strip in them that will not teleport. Nice idea, however.
WHOA!