We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
A couple of free programs for Artists! (pics!) Options

stevowitz
#1 Posted : 5/16/2010 10:51:55 PM

The Dude

Been looking for some open source software for developing my artistic skills. I've found a couple and wanted to share them with the community along with some art!

first off is probably my favorite:
Alchemy
Created by Andrew Jones(Co-founder of conceptart.org)
Quote from the site:
Quote:
Alchemy is an open drawing project aimed at exploring how we can sketch, draw, and create on computers in new ways. Alchemy isn’t software for creating finished artwork, but rather a sketching environment that focuses on the absolute initial stage of the creation process. Experimental in nature, Alchemy lets you brainstorm visually to explore an expanded range of ideas and possibilities in a serendipitous way.

Here's a video of Andrew Jones showing off Alchemy(pretty neat)

Here's a couple pieces I've done so far;

I really like the random qualities of this program...and the MIRROR EFFECTS!!! omg...hyperspace was never easier to express artistically. and you can customize different aspects to suite your own needs(the video explains some of that)

Secondly:
Harmony
Created by Mr. Doob Harmony is a procedural drawing tool. It's currently in development but the work is modular so the creator is allowing anyone to use it as he updates.

Here's a cool vid of Harmony in action

and here's a drawing I did today:
"Unfolding the Mind"
*We are now at a phase of human development where we have accumulated an enormous amount of knowledge through scientific research in the material world. This is very important knowledge, but it must be integrated. -Hoffman
*A young man who wishes to remain a sound Atheist cannot be too careful of his reading -C.S. Lewis
cephalopods are enlightened -benzyme
T R I P S I T

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

PureMan
#2 Posted : 5/17/2010 12:52:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Very interesting!.. This makes me want to start drawing! Smile

stevowitz
#3 Posted : 5/17/2010 4:07:37 AM

The Dude

Cloud wrote:
Very interesting!.. This makes me want to start drawing! Smile

DO IT!!!

we need more visionary artists on the forums :]
*We are now at a phase of human development where we have accumulated an enormous amount of knowledge through scientific research in the material world. This is very important knowledge, but it must be integrated. -Hoffman
*A young man who wishes to remain a sound Atheist cannot be too careful of his reading -C.S. Lewis
T R I P S I T

Dimitrius
#4 Posted : 5/17/2010 5:12:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Wow, thanks stevowitz. I didn't even know Alchemy was free/open-source.

And the Harmony program, with the sketchy tool, makes it very easy to be artistic Wink haha.

I'm going to play around with it more later.
"Within your heart is a lotus, and within this lotus is a diamond. This diamond is the source of creation, and in all the creation, there is only one lotus."

"Only from the Heart can you touch the sky." ~ Rumi

islandhome
#5 Posted : 5/31/2010 5:30:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

thanks fellow human very much will be looking into this
Very happy
You'd better be prepared for the jump into hyperspace. It's unpleasantly like being drunk."

"What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"

"You ask a glass of water."

Douglas Adams

MelCat
#6 Posted : 6/1/2010 7:45:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for sharing and good job on the sketches. Very happy

I just checked out that Alchemy program and I gotta say it's pretty impressive after playing with it for like 30 seconds.

I can definitely see how it could be a powerful tool in the hands of a visionary.

I'm going to check out harmony in just a bit. Thanks again for sharing. I have a soft spot for open source software as well.
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...

L_Star
#7 Posted : 6/1/2010 11:43:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

its like playing an artial instrument, very cool indeed, plus its free even better! but imo cnt be pencil n paper for easyness Very happy

Much respect to all from L_Star

Disclaimer: EVERYTHING posted by L_Star is said from the following persons: SWIM. All are hypothetical posts and are not endorsements of any activities, beliefs, and practices stated, that may be correlated with the person stated, or another person posting, or third party user, in anyway on dmt-nexus.com. All that is said is for educational purposes and as said is "hypothetical" and therefore cannot be taken for true accounts. SWIM and L_Star abide by the Law in all practices. SWIM would like reader to note that SWIM is blind, and L_Star is a typing assistant voluntering for SWIM. L_Star is bound by legal legislation for customer privacy by Data Protection Act, therefore SWIM will not be identified.

Regards L_Star

Dimitrius
#8 Posted : 6/22/2010 6:49:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Tree
Dimitrius attached the following image(s):
tree.png (99kb) downloaded 86 time(s).
"Within your heart is a lotus, and within this lotus is a diamond. This diamond is the source of creation, and in all the creation, there is only one lotus."

Dimitrius
#9 Posted : 8/24/2010 8:53:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Dimitrius attached the following image(s):
index.png (1,163kb) downloaded 50 time(s).

stevowitz
#10 Posted : 8/29/2010 8:21:54 AM

The Dude

I just got around to checking this thread. amazing stuff guys!!! I will add an image or two soon
T R I P S I T