We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
[Health & Safety guidelines] Work thread Options

The Traveler
#1 Posted : 5/16/2010 1:08:21 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

Hi all,

Recently we saw an increase for the need of Health and Safety guidelines for spice use. What I like to accomplish is a link in the top of the forum next to the 'Attitude' link called 'Health & Safety guidelines' were these guidelines are stated.

For this we need to do a few things:
1. Gather information about what to put in those guidelines.
2. A good write up of those guidelines, just like how the Attitude page is written.

I propose to post links in this thread to forum posts that can be beneficiary to include into this new guideline page.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

The Traveler
#2 Posted : 5/16/2010 1:08:28 PM

"No, seriously"

I will start with the first one:
88's remark and vovin's highlight of it
vovin wrote:
88 wrote:

This is a substance that has the ability to rip a hole in your reality and in your identity. Not everyone can cope with that. If you are going to go on this journey be aware that you may have trouble integrating the experience with your normal, 'consensus' reality. What you find Inside may change your life, your perspective, your sense of self and your perception of reality. It should not be undertaken lightly.

I am quite suprised these days with how many people are able to deal with the first journey. Back on the old board there was kind of a cold attitude from most of the veterans on the board twoards new members as after that first leap the majority did not come back to the site. The persons who took a second leap into the abyss earned their badge in the eyes of the old community as it was believed that they had the mentality to stay and be a part of the community. I know this is off topic but I think it is so important for those who are taking that first step. They need to realize the implications of taking the most powerful mind altering drug known to man. If I had my way your statement I quoted would be the banner of this forum.

Please keep the information coming so we can get this page up a.s.a.p.

ohayoco
#3 Posted : 5/16/2010 2:42:16 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I'm not very good with writing so I'll just list issues I can think of (this is all 'to my knowledge' and should be checked/edited etc by someone more in the know):

Ayawaska and mental health:
Studies of ayawasaka users indicate that ayawaska is safe and that users are emotionally healthier and happier. (Citing of studies etc) Anecdotal reports indicate that it can cure depression and cluster headaches in some instances. (Etc)

Vaporised DMT and mental health:
We simply don't know much about how vaporised DMT can affect mental health. People on the Nexus generally seem to believe that it is safe at least when used responsibly, but there are no scientific studies of long term use. There has been at least one unfortunate incidence that might indicate otherwise, when a member appeared to suffer a mental breakdown.

Most people who are drawn to DMT have a history of use with other substances that could potentially have had negative impacts on mental health. Some may be bringing existing problems with them- we are not aware of the mental health history of members. For these reasons, it is unclear whether isolated instances of mental health problems are due to DMT use. If you feel that your mental health may not be in tip-top condition, and even if it is, research very carefully before commiting to this path. It may be more prudent to work with ayawaska, which has a history of traditional use and more promising studies on its safety.

Being launched into a heavy trip almost instantaneously by vaporising DMT is too extreme an experience for some people. Many users only try it once and choose never to smoke it again.

Having problems?
If you feel that you are having emotional, mental or integration problems due to your DMT usage- or if people you know tell you that you are even if you think you're doing fine- stop use immediately. Let us know how you are doing. If the problems persist once you have stopped use, seek professional help.

If you ever feel suicidal, speak to someone about it immediately. Seek professional help. If there is no-one around to speak to at the time, ring a charity hotline. (List of charity hotlines by country?)

Frequency of use
- (Something about recommended frequency of use- start a poll?) It is unclear how often DMT can be smoked safely. There must come a point where overuse has a negative impact on the body, mental health, or the user's life due to neglecting of friends, family and duties. The safe limit could vary from person to person. In a poll, most Nexus members felt that a period of x days between sessions should be recommended. If at any point you find that you are investing more emotional energy in 'that world' than 'this one', we recommend you reduce your levels of usage.

Addiction potential
DMT is not considered addictive. However, there have been a couple of incidences where people have realised that they were forming a habit of using it too frequently and 'like a drug'. Be wary of such behaviour and take a break if you feel yourself starting to overuse.

Stuff like that. I expect a lot of it could be pulled from the Wiki.
Everything I write is fictional roleplay. Obviously! End tribal genocide: www.survival-international.org Quick petitions for meaningful change: www.avaaz.org/en/
End prohibition: www.leap.cc www.tdpf.org.uk And "Feeling Good" by David D.Burns MD is a very useful book.

polytrip
#4 Posted : 5/16/2010 2:55:06 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
There are besides the more obvious precautions like not using when being mentally unstable, taking time to integrate the experience before using again, etcetera, things that seem obvious to some but debatable or maybe even offensive or short-sighted to others.

For many people the DMT experience has a spiritual dimension and this is one of it's great values. But this aspect of the DMT experience is probably also where some of it's hazards may lie.
Just like some people become dellusional when they visit the city of jerusalem: each year the army of people who discover that they are actually jesus christ or mother mary instead of, say bob bilby or suzy anderson, grows.

I think that, while talking about elfs and whether they actually exist or not may be fun, when people start asigning more value to hyperspace than to real day-to-day life, that should be seen as a clear warning sign.

There are many variations on this theme: when people start packing their things to hide in a dungeon because they 'saw' the end of time taking place in 2012, when they become aware that all the 'normal' people are inferiour to them and are vibrating on a 'lower level' like ants or catle, when in their day-to-day life they are receiving signs from extraterrestials, etcetera, etcetera.

Something that could prevent people from suddenly 'becoming the new messias' is when they're told in advance that real life is to be given priority above hyperspace: if you have an experience where you're jesus christ, well that's fine for you, but don't quit the day-job. Something like that.

#5 Posted : 5/16/2010 3:13:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

polytrip wrote:
There are besides the more obvious precautions like not using when being mentally unstable, taking time to integrate the experience before using again, etcetera, things that seem obvious to some but debatable or maybe even offensive or short-sighted to others.

For many people the DMT experience has a spiritual dimension and this is one of it's great values. But this aspect of the DMT experience is probably also where some of it's hazards may lie.
Just like some people become dellusional when they visit the city of jerusalem: each year the army of people who discover that they are actually jesus christ or mother mary instead of, say bob bilby or suzy anderson, grows.

I think that, while talking about elfs and whether they actually exist or not may be fun, when people start asigning more value to hyperspace than to real day-to-day life, that should be seen as a clear warning sign.

There are many variations on this theme: when people start packing their things to hide in a dungeon because they 'saw' the end of time taking place in 2012, when they become aware that all the 'normal' people are inferiour to them and are vibrating on a 'lower level' like ants or catle, when in their day-to-day life they are receiving signs from extraterrestials, etcetera, etcetera.

Something that could prevent people from suddenly 'becoming the new messias' is when they're told in advance that real life is to be given priority above hyperspace: if you have an experience where you're jesus christ, well that's fine for you, but don't quit the day-job. Something like that.

I see what you're saying with this, but I think we have to be careful about a)judging other people's experiences and b) avoiding ridicule - if people feel that they have seen the end of time/become god or whatever, we don't want them to keep it to themselves. That would make it harder for us to look out for one another. I'd think it's important that people can post whatever they see, think or believe - because this is often the only way other Nexians can see if they seem to be having a problem that we may be able to help with.

Hope that makes sense.

"at journey's end, we must begin again"

#6 Posted : 5/16/2010 5:23:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

There's another thing I might add here for your consideration:

This molecule has been used for thousands of years in the form of Ayahuasca; but those cultures that enter hyperspace in this manner do so with a number of psychic safeguards, that have developed over long periods of time.

The administration of Ayahuasca is conducted in a formalised ritual, and it is a socially acceptable practice that is a fundamental part of the culture of those peoples that use it as a sacrament. The ceremony is led by a very experienced ayahuascero who has himself studied for many years under the tutelage of a more experienced traveller, who will have tested him to the limits of his psychic strength to make sure he is both suitable, and capable of taking this repsonsibility.

There is a huge store of knowledge that is thus passed down and developed through generations. There is also a clear purpose - Ayahuasca is revered as a teacher, and as a healer, and so the function of the journey is either to be healed, or to become a healer, or to learn - for example, how to be a better hunter.

The context in which the majority of us here live is modern westernised society (note: this is an assumption, but one that I feel is most likely true given that, to access to Nexus requires electricity, web access and a computer)

Within our society, journeying to hyperspace is something that is neither condoned nor understood. This is particularly true when extracting and smoking the active ingredient, rather than taking the traditional Ayahausca brew.

You should realise before you decide to go forward with this path that it is a practice that is neither socially acceptable or culturally supported. it is highly illegal in most countries, and we have no tradition or legacy of knowledge to build on; we have only this community and our own experiences, and we are all learning here.

Without the social support framework which those ancient Ayahuasca cultures have developed, you may find it extremely difficult to discuss and share what has happened to you. This can add to the challenge of trying to integrate this most powerful experience into your daily life. You may feel isolated, misunderstood and perpetually cut off from the mainstream of your society.

Additionally, smoked DMT has an immediate effect. Ayahausca takes some time to build up to the full entry; but when smoked it is almost instant, and the overall journey is also over much faster. This can make the experience very hard to recall and make sense of.

The Nexus is a support network of people who choose to explore this path, and in the interests of the well-being of all of those who find themselves here, we urge caution, responsibility and wish to ensure that no-one embarks on this journey without the due consideration that such a potentially life-changing experience demands.

Safe travels, friends.

pau
#7 Posted : 5/16/2010 6:31:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

1. need for sitters...recommended even for experienced users.

2. traditionally - and even today with the Brazilian churches - aya/spice used in connection with a spiritually-oriented group of subjects/leaders. It is possible that churches such as those may become legal in the US, Canada and Europe one day. Nonetheless, while our online nexus provides some of those functions, it is not and cannot be a substitute for such a group.

3. do your research first.
WHOA!

BananaForeskin
#8 Posted : 5/16/2010 6:52:22 PM

I Eat Plant Magic

I could see a voluntary "Do I Know Enough?" quiz being useful. I'm not talking about using it as a standard to judge people, in any way, but as a means for newer explorers to judge themselves. And I'm not saying it should be difficult, either, but maybe have some values questions like "The more you smoke, the better it gets!: True or False" or "DMT is a good party drug: True or False", or even some like "Smoking DMT can be a profound spiritual experience: True or False" and if a "wrong" answer is chosen, then the test taker gets a little "You should do more research!" message accompanied by an answer guide.

To reiterate, it would NOT be to judge other people, or restrict them, or to monitor their results. It would simply be a standard against which individuals who think they're ready could test their understanding.
¤ø¸â€žø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸â€žø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸â€žø¤º¨

.^.^.^.^.^.^(0)=õ

Touche Guevara
#9 Posted : 5/16/2010 6:58:36 PM
DMT-Nexus member

A quiz might be a little overkill, but I could definitely see the utility in a "Myths About DMT" page.

I love the idea of this harm-reduction project, and I'll try to work something up in the next few days.

gammagore
#10 Posted : 5/16/2010 6:59:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Untill one finds there sweet spot and has their smoking tek sorted, I strongly sugest that they sit up while smoking DMT for the first few times. Its better to have a clear pathway for any purge or puke that might come up. It could be very dangerous if one was lying down and unable to know what is going on when hyperspace hit you and one starts to vomit.

Be safe everyone.

#11 Posted : 5/16/2010 10:28:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

gammagore wrote:
Untill one finds there sweet spot and has their smoking tek sorted, I strongly sugest that they sit up while smoking DMT for the first few times. Its better to have a clear pathway for any purge or puke that might come up. It could be very dangerous if one was lying down and unable to know what is going on when hyperspace hit you and one starts to vomit.

Be safe everyone.

Very, very good point GG ... also aids the breathing, keeps airways open

The Traveler
#12 Posted : 5/17/2010 10:45:56 PM

"No, seriously"

On the top of each forum page we now have a link to the Health and Safety guidelines. I did already put some first information in there but it's far from finished.

We can use some good writeup of the suggestions posted in this thread already!

Kind regards,

The Traveler

damiana
#13 Posted : 5/18/2010 12:15:57 AM

Cosmic Dragon

Great job traveler.
PEACE

ohayoco
#14 Posted : 5/19/2010 12:24:49 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I think that's great.

An idea if it's easy to do: when a new member creates an account, the Attitude and Health and Safety bits could appear in a scrollbar that they have to scroll down and tick a box at the bottom before their account can be finalised. Like how when you install a program you have to scroll through the agreement... except more people would actually read this one, because it's more interesting.

I don't think the privacy needs to be on it, that's common sense in my book.

Then when they joined they could get an automatic pm which tells them about the search function and the wiki, etc. Actually it could all be on an auto pm I guess.
Everything I write is fictional roleplay. Obviously! End tribal genocide: www.survival-international.org Quick petitions for meaningful change: www.avaaz.org/en/
End prohibition: www.leap.cc www.tdpf.org.uk And "Feeling Good" by David D.Burns MD is a very useful book.

#15 Posted : 5/19/2010 2:15:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you for this Traveller - I think it shows that this is a community that takes responsibility for its members and that is respectful in its approach to this extraordinary experience. It shows clearly that we support responsible use, and what you've done (very quickly!) builds that. Thanks again for all the work you do to make this Nexus what it is.

Much love

polytrip
#16 Posted : 5/19/2010 8:58:03 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
It's a great job so far. Health and safety guidelines are never 'complete' for any substance since we always learn more and more about it in time. Even with medication that is on the market for a long time, health and safety instructions change from time to time because of this.

So i think the best thing that we can do, is to keep looking if improvements are possible every now and then, because this is a learning community.

aetherbound
#17 Posted : 5/19/2010 9:22:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I think another aspect that should be addressed is the proper administration of DMT, especially vaped...A proper scale is a must as being off in either direction , too much or not enough, leaves one with unsatisfactory results...Too much and is hazardous and a waste of spice as is too little...Frequent cleaning of ones pipe or vaporizer is essential. Personally speaking, some of my most terrifying trips have been when I underestimated the amount of left over spice in the pipe...Spice is truly nothing to trifle with and people looking to just "get high" should know right from the start that it is not a party drug...Although as we all know, some people will have to find out for themselves..

Aether
In all chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order..Jung
All above writing with the exception of Dr. Jung's quote is pure mushroom encrusted cowpie!

Felnik
#18 Posted : 5/19/2010 10:16:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I think this is a much needed thing. I'm so glad you guys put these safety guidlines togethor.

After my last ferocious difficult trip awhile back the first thing i thought after I landed was Nexus needs to have some warnings posted about this stuff. The seriousness of this molecule can not be overstated . This is no party drug by a long shot.

I would only say that good breathing or at least remembering to breath should be mentioned somewhere in there. Good breathing has saved me many times during some intense moments.
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke

http://vimeo.com/32001208

endlessness
#19 Posted : 5/20/2010 1:39:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Here's a proposed changed version I have for the health and safety. Something important that is missing is filling out the integration session:

DMT Health and Safety

Warning:

DMT is a substance who's effects can radically alter one's perception of reality and sense of identity. Not everyone can cope with such extreme effects. If you are going on this journey, be aware there is the possibility you might have trouble integrating the experience with your normal, 'consensus' reality. What you find Inside might change your life, perspective, sense of self and perception of reality. It should not be undertaken lightly!

DMT/Ayahuasca and physical health

Researches have been made showing the relative physical safety of DMT. Ayahuasca, the DMT-containing brew from the Amazon, has been studied by multidisciplinary groups in Brazil and other countries and was shown that in reasonable doses in a careful context, it presents no negative cognitive/psychiatric/physical consequences.

There is yet little research into vaporized dmt, but there seems to be no sign that it is in any way more dangerous physically than other administration forms. There are no reported deaths from smoking DMT. Smoking it will not lead to a dangerous overdose because the onset is so quick that one can only inhale a certain (pharmacologicaly safe)amount before being gone to ´hyperspace', without being able to smoke more until one is down again.

However:

* People with extreme heart or other life-threatening conditions are contra-indicated, and should NOT use dmt unless they have consulted a qualified health professional about it.
* Also, it is possible that during the experience, one temporarily loses orientation in the consensus reality, so smoking/ingesting next to a cliff, sharp objects, etc, is not a good idea. BE IN A PHYSICALLY SAFE ENVIRONMENT!
* DO NOT use MAOIs (so for example an ayahuasca brew) together with stimulants or SSRI medication, this can cause serotonin syndrome and lead to convulsions or even death!

DMT/Ayahuasca and mental health

The research mentioned above has shown that in a careful controlled setting, ayahuasca (oral DMT) use, even with a certain regularity, causes no cognitive/emotional/social problems. Users presented elevated levels of happiness and health. Nevertheless, these users were part of a strong-knit community with shared values and constant support between the members. The controlled setting they partook the substance in helped them make sense of the experience and special care has been taken in integration (see Integration section below).

While smoked DMT has not been the focus of published studies, it is reasonable to suppose that to increase chances of benefit and diminish risks, a special care with set and setting, as well as integration, has to be taken.

It is important to notice that, like with other psychedelic, DMT provides a very powerful emotional/mental experience, so those with personal or family psychiatric history, unstable emotionally or going through some very difficult moments in life are also contra-indicated and should be aware of the risks that undertaking this experience has for them.

There has been at least one case witnessed in this forum where a member appeared to suffer from a mental-breakdown following DMT usage. Most people who are drawn to DMT have a history of use with other substances that could potentially have had negative impacts on mental health. Some may be bringing existing problems with them- we are not aware of the mental health history of members. For these reasons, it is unclear whether isolated instances of mental health problems are due to DMT usage.

If you feel that your mental health may not be in tip-top condition, and even if it is, research very carefully before deciding if you want to commit to this path.

Frequency of use

It is unclear how often DMT can be smoked safely. There is probably a point where overuse has a negative impact on the body, mental health, or the user's life due to neglecting of friends, family and duties.

The safe limit can vary from person to person, from context to context and from moment to moment. If at any point you find that you are investing more emotional energy in 'that world' than 'this one', we strongly recommend you reduce your levels of usage or take a break altogether.

Addiction

DMT is not considered addictive. However, it happens that some people may feel they were forming a habit of using it too frequently and 'like a drug'. Be wary of such behaviour and take a break if you feel yourself starting to overuse.

Integration

Where and how to take

Due to the unpredictability of the effects, it is highly recommended that first timers should ingest/smoke in the presence of a sitter, someone trustable, that one is comfortable with, who can make sure one is safe.

One should consume DMT in a safe environment only! In this section of the FAQ you can find some of the main recommendations of the best settings for DMT vaporization/ingestion.

Having problems?

If you feel that you are having emotional, mental or integration problems due to your DMT usage- or if people you know tell you that you are even if you think you're doing fine- stop use immediately. Let us know how you are doing. If the problems persist once you have stopped use, seek professional help.

If you ever feel suicidal, speak to someone about it immediately. Seek professional help. If there is no-one around to speak to at the time, ring a charity hotline.

jbark
#20 Posted : 5/20/2010 1:55:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=12606

(sorry, cant seem to engage the hyperlink from my phone...)

may i suggest guidelines, or at least a caveat, for offering advice on the nexus? The above thread contains advice from a new member to another to foresake this reality for an alternate one based on an interpretation of a vision the latter experienced while on dmt- a very powerful vision that makes me fear the former may heed the advice. My position is very clearly outlined in my post on the thread.

Forgive me if i am out of line (i am fairly new myself), but it seems to me that this brand of advice is not only not in the spirit of the nexus , but is in stark contrast to the responsible and respectful atmosphere that defines it. A little section on advice-giving might help avoid this sort of advice in the future.

Congrats so far traveler with the guidelines and your speed in gathering, edting and posting them! I really believe it adds credibility to an already mature and responsible site, and provides any skeptics wirh immediate proof of our intentions, concerns and the gravity with which we approach them and the dmt experience itself.

Cheers

JBArk
JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.

12NEXT