We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Do you need a fan for evaporation of solvent? Options

Bod
#1 Posted : 5/1/2010 1:39:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Just wondered if you need a fan to assist the evaporation of naptha (re. Lazymans tech.) or can you just let it evaporate at room temperature (slowly). SWIM is at this stage of the preaparation.

Thanks in advance

Bod

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

gammagore
#2 Posted : 5/1/2010 1:45:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Either way works fine, if you are in a hurry you can set a fan on low and let it blow on the solvent. Be carefull though that no dust and crap gets into the solvent.

DeMenTed
#3 Posted : 5/1/2010 1:50:05 PM

Barry

no

Bod
#4 Posted : 5/1/2010 1:52:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks Gammagore!

I have just asked SWIM if any dust and crap is likely to get into his solvent and he says it won't happen unless there is an earthquake.

Thanks again

Bod

vovin
#5 Posted : 5/2/2010 5:05:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Prototype and Design Engineer amongst other things, Craftsman

Fans greatly accelerate the evap. To keep dust out cut up a pair of womens pantyhose and stretch them over the top as a screen.
If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing.

Gir
#6 Posted : 5/2/2010 1:38:49 PM

Gir

vovin wrote:
To keep dust out cut up a pair of womens pantyhose and stretch them over the top as a screen.

Hmm Vovin, I didnt know this.. Thanks Smile
Lets go extract something together Smile

house wrote:
19:10:05 โ€นhouseโ€บ mama aya gave me lego man eye healers

Smoke Spice, NOW

Gir likes to tell lies, and the truth, but gir cant even tell the difference between them...

http://www.thevenusproject.com/index.phpTHIS IS THE VENUS PROJECT.

Felnik
#7 Posted : 5/2/2010 4:53:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

without a fan it can take a much longer time to evaporate. A fan is a good thing except don't forget about it running.
I worry about cheap fans running continuously for too long.
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke

http://vimeo.com/32001208

Bod
#8 Posted : 5/3/2010 12:44:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Blimey, it really does take a lot of time without a fan! Rolling eyes

Fast-forward to 2020 AD

Hope there is something left once the solvent does eavporate or there may be a pyrex dish seen flying through a window...I have great concerns about this!

Bod

universecannon
#9 Posted : 5/3/2010 1:57:01 AM

โ˜‚

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

hehe yes it certainly takes FOREVER without a fan..For a small amount of solvent the window sill isn't a terrible place but only if theres a breeze rolling in. I usually only evap the solvent after i've stuck it in the freezer then collected the crystals, since they're always much cleaner that way.

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

Bod
#10 Posted : 5/3/2010 2:24:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the tip!Wink

Is it OK to evaporate it a little first, then transfer to the freezer (to avoid spills)?

Bod

geeg30
#11 Posted : 5/3/2010 2:51:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

A quick test for stuff in your solvent is to blow across it, if it turns cloudy then you are guaranteed to have some spiceyness in your solvent.

You can evap a bit before freeze precip if so desired.
Here you!!! Gonnaenodaethat

"Iceberg???? - What Iceberg????"

vovin
#12 Posted : 5/3/2010 2:52:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Prototype and Design Engineer amongst other things, Craftsman

The surrounding air becomes saturated and the solvent cannot evaporate. Guys you need some air circulation to evap. If you place a plate in a rubbermaid container and seal it guess what. 2 weeks later the solvent still wouldnt have evaporated past a certain point. Why? The air inside is saturated and thus it cannot take on anymore solvent period. However it only takes a very small breeze to ensure that the air is moved enough to make evaporation possible air movement is crucial to evaporation. You dont need a strong breeze just some kind of breeze. Now the stronger the breeze the more surface exposure the air will make with the solvent and the faster the solvent will evaporate as it is being exposed to more unsaturated air.

So moral of the story is you need some circulation to do the job. How much is up to you but the laws of evaporation specify that if the same air is contacting the solvent it will not absorb more of it so there must be some kind of cycling even if it is a very minimal amount.

Evaporating before a freeze is just good chemistry. The goal with a freeze percipitation is to get the solvent at the point of full (super)saturation since chemicals that are cooled have lower saturation points than chems at a high temperature. A basic salt and water test will show you this. Put salt in a glass with 'HOT' water until it gets to the point that is super staturated. At this point the water will no longer be able to dissolve any additional salt. Now put it in the fridge ( not freezer ) and allow it to cool.... What happens? When the water temp lowers it's ability to hold the salt lowers as well and the salt falls out of the solution. This is what a freeze precip does. Now take a 1 gallon jug of water and put the same amount of salt in it and put it in the fridge. I bet you a buck that the salt that falls out if far below the amount in the glass.. why? Because the water in the gallon jug was not supersaturated and thus as it cooled it was still able to retain a bulk of the salt due to it's volume.

It is a best practice to reduce down to the point to where the dmt is no longer dissolving in the solvent and then heat the solvent to make a superstaturated solution, add small amounts of solvent if it still has not fully dissolved the DMT and then freeze precip. This way you will get the most DMT possible with the saturation method. Read my tek on how to do this it's here somewhere.

HOWEVER.... all chemicals will hold some stuff even at extremely low temperatures. For us in this field much of what is held is impurities and thus the reason we do a freeze precip in the first place. BUT part of what fell out is also impurities which is why my tek uses a solvent wash to clean things up. Realizing that some of those impurities may not be as soluble as the spice one can then dissolve the result of the freeze precip into a minimal amt of solvent and since the spice will more easily dissolve into the small amount of solvent than the impurities or at least some of the impurities, then you have another purification process. Todays extractions yield a much purer result than what we used to get which is why I developed the solvent wash to start with but it is still not a bad practice regardless when dealing with chemicals that are extremely dangerous. Since the solvent amount is small a solvent wash takes very little time and IMHO one would be foolish not to do it. A freeze precip does not replace a solvent wash period. A solvent wash is designed to get things out that cannot be done in any other way.

Basic chemistry tells us that some chemicals dissolve and some chemicals create a homogeneous mixture. A homogeneous mixture is when one chem ( the impurities) are not actually dissolved in the chemicals but are in little bubbles suspended in the mixture. Think of a muffin. The raisins in it is not chemically bonded but due to the viscosity of the liquid and the size of the raisins it will stay suspended in the dough. When you evap everything that is in the homogeneous state will wind up in the result. When you preform a solvent wash since these chems are now at the bottom in larger clumps and you are not stirring vigurously that chem, being insoluble will stay at the bottom while the spice is dissolved and thus the reason if you have a fairly pure batch a solvent wash will result in some pretty ugly stuff left over even tho you 'thought' you had a pure result.

Class dismissed.

Bod
#13 Posted : 5/3/2010 3:37:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Blimey Vovin, wish I'd paid more attention in class! The stuff we learnt wasn't quite so useful though.
Coco pops will never taste the same with naptha contaminated milk (a big drawback to the fridge set-up) Laughing

Thanks!

vovin
#14 Posted : 5/3/2010 3:44:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

You young'uns got it easy. Back in the day you basically had to figure out extraction for yourself with a crappy tek as a very general guide. Good part is figuring out how to extract back then is what gave me the knowledge of chemistry I have now. Before I wrote my tek I spent I would guess about 100+ hours learning as much as I could about chemistry as it pertained to extraction.

Also keep in mind that when you freeze precip it can be in a sealed container. What I done was use a pyrex flask covered with saran wrap held with a rubber band and poke 2 needle holes in the top. Freezing has nothing to do with evaporating so you dont need the solvent to be exposed. Plus you do not want water to condense into your solvent. This happens at cold temps too look at a bag of peas in a crappy fridge where you think all that ice covering them came from? Condensation. Modern fridges greatly reduce this with a built in de humidifier but still it exists in a smaller degree.

malteanies
#15 Posted : 1/10/2020 2:53:04 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Bod wrote:
Blimey, it really does take a lot of time without a fan! Rolling eyes

Fast-forward to 2020 AD

Hope there is something left once the solvent does eavporate or there may be a pyrex dish seen flying through a window...I have great concerns about this!

How did it turn out?

downwardsfromzero
#16 Posted : 1/11/2020 12:48:13 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

malteanies wrote:
How did it turn out?

He now makes goat's cheese in the Cantabrian mountains.

โ€œThere is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
โ€• Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli