We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
Wine-O-Waska Options

plumsmooth
#21 Posted : 6/25/2010 7:22:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

By gut I am referring to more than just the stomach of course.
If alcohol killed gut flora many of us who like a beer would be really fucked up.

And actually considering that Alcohol is both a by product of Kefir and kombucha, and the yeasts and bacteria seem to survive fine in it, that statement seems false:
Quote:
^I dont think that possible..alcohol itself kills gut flora..

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

jamie
#22 Posted : 6/25/2010 7:53:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

The ammount of alcohol is kefir is so minimal it wouldnt do anything..im talkig like drinking vodka or something..it does kill off some of the healthy gut bacteria..Ive made kefir countless times theres no way your going to even get a mild buzz off of it..not normally anyway.

Fermenting a brew like you said is another thing from drinking something with substancial alcohol content.
Long live the unwoke.

jamie
#23 Posted : 6/25/2010 8:10:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

* "While we usually start life with a relatively healthy intestinal tract, the effects of infections, antibiotics, alcohol, stress and poor diet very often devastate healthy bacteria leading to constipation or diarrhea and a number of life threatening diseases."

http://tuberose.com/Intestinal_Flora.html

* "One of the reasons that 30% of alcoholics develop cirrhosis may be a leaky gastrointestinal system. According to research (Keshavarzian 1999), another factor might be a gut-derived endotoxin. This would suggest that the use of probiotic substances might aid in the prevention of cirrhosis or other liver damage. Probiotics are beneficial bacteria that help to recolonize the intestinal tract. Intestinal flora (bacteria) help our digestive system absorb nutrients and act as a protective barrier in keeping toxins out. Along with taking a probiotic formula, a supplement to nourish intestinal flora such as fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS) is recommended. FOS helps reduce the formation of toxic liver metabolites and therefore is beneficial to people with chronic liver problems."

http://www.lef.org/protocols/prtcl-004.shtml

* "The effects of chronic alcohol consumption on the bowel flora and the potential therapeutic role of probiotics in alcohol-induced liver injury have not previously been evaluated. In this study, 66 adult Russian males admitted to a psychiatric hospital with a diagnosis of alcoholic psychosis were enrolled in a prospective, randomized, clinical trial to study the effects of alcohol and probiotics on the bowel flora and alcohol-induced liver injury. Patients were randomized to receive 5 days of Bifidobacterium bifidum and Lactobacillus plantarum 8PA3 versus standard therapy alone (abstinence plus vitamins). Stool cultures and liver enzymes were performed at baseline and again after therapy. Results were compared between groups and with 24 healthy, matched controls who did not consume alcohol. Compared to healthy controls, alcoholic patients had significantly reduced numbers of bifidobacteria (6.3 vs. 7.5 log colony-forming unit [CFU]/g), lactobacilli (3.15 vs. 4.59 log CFU/g), and enterococci (4.43 vs. 5.5 log CFU/g). The mean baseline alanine aminotransferase (ALT), aspartate aminotransferase (AST), and gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase (GGT) activities were significantly elevated in the alcoholic group compared to the healthy control group (AST: 104.1 vs. 29.15 U/L; ALT: 50.49 vs. 22.96 U/L; GGT 161.5 vs. 51.88 U/L), indicating that these patients did have mild alcohol-induced liver injury. After 5 days of probiotic therapy, alcoholic patients had significantly increased numbers of both bifidobacteria (7.9 vs. 6.81 log CFU/g) and lactobacilli (4.2 vs. 3.2 log CFU/g) compared to the standard therapy arm. Despite similar values at study initiation, patients treated with probiotics had significantly lower AST and ALT activity at the end of treatment than those treated with standard therapy alone (AST: 54.67 vs. 76.43 U/L; ALT 36.69 vs. 51.26 U/L). In a subgroup of 26 subjects with well-characterized mild alcoholic hepatitis (defined as AST and ALT greater than 30 U/L with AST-to-ALT ratio greater than one), probiotic therapy was associated with a significant end of treatment reduction in ALT, AST, GGT, lactate dehydrogenase, and total bilirubin. In this subgroup, there was a significant end of treatment mean ALT reduction in the probiotic arm versus the standard therapy arm. In conclusion, patients with alcohol-induced liver injury have altered bowel flora compared to healthy controls. Short-term oral supplementation with B. bifidum and L. plantarum 8PA3 was associated with restoration of the bowel flora and greater improvement in alcohol-induced liver injury than standard therapy alone."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19038698

What I origionally meant was that alcohol consumption does kill off flora in both the large and small intestines and the bowels. Kefir is NOT the same as drinking a beer, unless you find a source that backs up that comparison I dont think it holds much weight..

Also, reguarding the diame brews..i hardly doubt the alcohol conent comes near that of a single beer..they cap their brews with little to no air at all left in the bottle..the fermentation should be extremely minimal. I know people that have drank withthe diame here in vancouver, brews that traveled all that was from SA and they said the brew tasted woody, not alcoholic at all. I have also personally stored brews for many months in the fridge without any fermentation noticed when drank..and had them sit out for a month in a cubbord unrefridgerated without fermenting to a noticable degree as well.

Not the point of this thread anyway so im done with the alcohol/probiotics thing.

Back to wine o waskaVery happy

If the combo really did result in some sort of ketamine like experience along with the DMT and harmala effects, like Ananda Bosman claims, maybe I would try it some time..but I think he said that you feel drunk for the first few mnutes then it really clears right up, so he is prob drinking more alcohol than I would want to not really sure..

Long live the unwoke.

wade
#24 Posted : 6/25/2010 8:14:43 PM

wade

We all know too much alcohol can be bad
personally I find this combination very intriguing as I have yet to try it
just drink some kombucha a couple days later, I don't see what the big deal is

jamie
#25 Posted : 6/25/2010 8:47:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

^ there is no big deal over the combination..read the thread and youd figure that out. The discussion above wasnt even about negative effects from the wine and rue/chali combiation, it was in reguards to trying to make a wine and chali/rue brew then culture it with probiotics..Im not even sure if thats what you meant plumsmooth..do you want to try to culture a brew with wine already in it? or try to make kombucha from a normal ayahuasca tea?.because that I agree with, you prob could do that, but that is still far different fermenting hops to make beer..there are different kinds of alcohol and different types of yeast..
Long live the unwoke.

plumsmooth
#26 Posted : 6/26/2010 12:04:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you for sharing that information with me.
I haven't fully digested it so-to-speak.
But with my recent enhanced interest in probiotics this certainly belongs in the personal database.

So is the beer belly, actually the result of overgrowth of the less desirable guttural bacteria?

I noticed some with beer bellies actually are not flabby so much as they seem to have distended bellies; leading me to believe that it is less fat and more a ballooning shape.

PREV12