We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
acetone ate my graduated cylinder! pics Options

jbark
#1 Posted : 4/29/2010 6:54:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have a plastic graduated cylinder that I originally used for dark room photography, and have since been using to decant my naptha from the bark lye solution.

Today I was mixing up my first batch of changa and used the same cylinder to measure out some acetone. I foolishly took it for granted that a dark room graduated cylinder, made for holding chemicals and proven to be impervious to naptha, should be alright for any solvent. I put 20ml of acetone in the graduated cylinder and poured it out 10 seconds later. I mixed the changa up and set it to evaporate in my basement.

When I came back up, about ten minutes later, the graduated cylinder was no longer transparent - it was white, with stress-like ripples all the way up!!

Now I think I know the unfortunate answer to this question - is my changa ruined? i.e. unsafe? Permeated with melted plastic fumes?

Some chemist somewhere tell me it's not true... do I have to throw out all that changa, the changa that I used 90% of my remaining spice to make? say it isn't so...

hoping against my better judgment,
JBArk
jbark attached the following image(s):
cylinders 001.jpg (446kb) downloaded 342 time(s).
JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Gir
#2 Posted : 4/29/2010 6:55:58 PM

Gir

damn dude.....

pastichanga....
Lets go extract something together Smile

house wrote:
19:10:05 โ€นhouseโ€บ mama aya gave me lego man eye healers

Smoke Spice, NOW

Gir likes to tell lies, and the truth, but gir cant even tell the difference between them...

http://www.thevenusproject.com/index.phpTHIS IS THE VENUS PROJECT.

Oncewas
#3 Posted : 4/29/2010 6:56:12 PM
DMT-Nexus member

your changa is now bunk... Maybe you could extract from it with 99% IPA. but ya... Acetone dissolves plastic very easily.

gammagore
#4 Posted : 4/29/2010 7:04:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I wouldnt smoke that.

jbark
#5 Posted : 4/29/2010 7:13:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Nothing like a little acetone disaster to make a fella feel dumb as a beaker...

tears and flushing noises,

JBArk
JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.

The Wizard
#6 Posted : 4/29/2010 8:35:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

hahaha acetone + plastics = no fun

jbark
#7 Posted : 4/29/2010 9:03:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Alright i'll say it for all of you thinking it:

NOOB!!

I feel better already.Very happy

JBArk

Seven
#8 Posted : 4/29/2010 9:44:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

haha it happens to the best of us. I totally melted my french press with some limonene.
The universe is an infinite harmony of vibrating beings in an elaborate range of expansion-contraction ratios, frequency modulations, and so forth.

Dorge
#9 Posted : 4/30/2010 6:05:38 AM

Chen Cho Dorge

SWIM no longer has any spatulas...
Dorge is cooperatively owned and cooperatively run by various hyperspacial entities working as a collabertive sentience project for the betterment of sentient exploration.

Offical Changa web sitehttp://changa.esotericpharma.org/

OpeningPandorasBox
#10 Posted : 5/4/2010 7:04:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

could you not extract the spice with naptha to regain what was lost. Theoretically it could not be any worse than the spice you originally pulled using the graduated cylinder as a measuring device.
OpeningPandorasBox is a fictional character created by a very imaginative but delusional person. Anything posted by OpeningPandorasBox should be considered nothing more than the incoherent ramblings of an imaginary alter ego. Under no circumstances should what is posted be considered true experiences, ideas, or advice. As far as matters of the law are concerned since OpeningPandorasBox only exists outside the realms of physical reality he is under no jurisdiction and no one within the physical world should attempt to recreate or reenact any of his fictional activity.

Vularin
#11 Posted : 5/4/2010 10:07:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

jbark wrote:
Alright i'll say it for all of you thinking it:

NOOB!!

I feel better already.Very happy

JBArk

we all been there, acetone ruined some of my plastic cups and a coffee press in my learning curve Very happy

OP bin the changa thats full of platicbadness now... Sad

Dimitrius
#12 Posted : 5/4/2010 12:04:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I would not use that Changa now. Crying or very sad Call it a loss and lesson.
"Within your heart is a lotus, and within this lotus is a diamond. This diamond is the source of creation, and in all the creation, there is only one lotus."

"Only from the Heart can you touch the sky." ~ Rumi

gammagore
#13 Posted : 5/4/2010 1:02:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Man it hurts to see precious changa being binnedSad

jbark
#14 Posted : 5/4/2010 2:03:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

yeah, gammagore - closest i've been to feeling like I have sinned... Only upside is I kinda like extracting (I feel like an alchemist on a spirtual quest through matter), so it gives me an excuse to do so sooner.

I guess... that's my spin, anywayConfused

JBArk

ms_manic_minxx
#15 Posted : 5/4/2010 5:31:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I realized I screwed up an alternative technique while brewing Ayahuasca around the 8th hour.

I also have one batch of changa that is rock hard from being contaminated with sodium carbonate... It really burns to smoke. >.< I may bury it.

It's best to just take time and do everything properly... you will always be rewarded with the experience. Smile
Some things will come easy, some will be a test

OpeningPandorasBox
#16 Posted : 5/5/2010 2:43:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

If you use the same cylinder to measure out your naptha then simply placing the contaminated changa in naptha will recover the lost spice as well as some other alks from the other herbs. No plastic residue should be soluble in the naptha if the graduated cylinder is truly safe with naptha. If something from the cylinder is absorbed then the resulting spice will be just as pure/impure as any spice you have previously extracted using the cylinder.
OpeningPandorasBox is a fictional character created by a very imaginative but delusional person. Anything posted by OpeningPandorasBox should be considered nothing more than the incoherent ramblings of an imaginary alter ego. Under no circumstances should what is posted be considered true experiences, ideas, or advice. As far as matters of the law are concerned since OpeningPandorasBox only exists outside the realms of physical reality he is under no jurisdiction and no one within the physical world should attempt to recreate or reenact any of his fictional activity.

rumplestiltskin
#17 Posted : 5/21/2010 3:04:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The best lessons are always learned the hard way. I lost my first seperatory funnel by corking it during an A/B while the lye was reacting with the acidic MHRB...... KABOOM!
Good morning.... good afternoon.... goodnight,
what have you done with your life?
Everybody's time come to be embraced by the light,
you're only scared to die when you're not living right.

vovin
#18 Posted : 5/23/2010 10:30:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Prototype and Design Engineer amongst other things, Craftsman

Dorge wrote:
SWIM no longer has any spatulas...

This totally had me chuckling. Anyhow I am obsessed with only using glass in any chemical process. Plastic is cheap but there are far too many chances of something in the plastic getting absorbed in the product. FYI you can get a lot of lab glass items in hobby stores where they have a hobby chemistry sets for kids.
If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing.