We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV1234NEXT»
The Key V2 - DIY Water Pipe Vaporizer Options

amor_fati
#21 Posted : 5/7/2010 5:49:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

Probably because it's best suited for changa/enhanced leaf. Most changa users seem to have an abundance of commercial implements or at least one highly effective device. Though your device can apparently be outfitted for use of freebase, in SWIM's case, he has a less bulky homemade device that works perfectly for him; however, he's still interested in the prospect of making a similar device to "the key" using porous ceramic to diffuse the heat, rather than a screen. The use of ceramic would make it a true DIY version of the VG and would also help prevent the device from getting hot (ceramic is an excellent heat-sink). You may be able to find porous ceramic at an aquarium supplier's.

The engravings are very cool, by the way.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Dimitrius
#22 Posted : 5/7/2010 6:01:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Dude, the engravings are sweet. Wink
"Within your heart is a lotus, and within this lotus is a diamond. This diamond is the source of creation, and in all the creation, there is only one lotus."

"Only from the Heart can you touch the sky." ~ Rumi

OpeningPandorasBox
#23 Posted : 5/9/2010 12:16:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks dimitri!

amor_fati wrote:
Probably because it's best suited for changa/enhanced leaf. Most changa users seem to have an abundance of commercial implements or at least one highly effective device. Though your device can apparently be outfitted for use of freebase, in SWIM's case, he has a less bulky homemade device that works perfectly for him; however, he's still interested in the prospect of making a similar device to "the key" using porous ceramic to diffuse the heat, rather than a screen. The use of ceramic would make it a true DIY version of the VG and would also help prevent the device from getting hot (ceramic is an excellent heat-sink). You may be able to find porous ceramic at an aquarium supplier's.

The engravings are very cool, by the way.

The only problem I see with the porous ceramic is that if you were to source it from an aquarium supply store there is no guarantee it wont have some sort of anti-mold agent or even just simple impurity that makes it dangerous. At least with the screens you know that they were made with the intention of heating and inhaling through. I agree that if vapor safe porous ceramic was easy to source it would be ideal to use, but I just do not see that being the case. Although one could probably just heat the ceramic up enough to vaporize off anything harmful before use in the vaporizer.

I would also like to point out that the device is perfect for simple spice. just use more screens in the bottom or some herb to help hold the spice as it vapes. Works much better than any oil burner or standard pipe methods I have ever tried.
OpeningPandorasBox is a fictional character created by a very imaginative but delusional person. Anything posted by OpeningPandorasBox should be considered nothing more than the incoherent ramblings of an imaginary alter ego. Under no circumstances should what is posted be considered true experiences, ideas, or advice. As far as matters of the law are concerned since OpeningPandorasBox only exists outside the realms of physical reality he is under no jurisdiction and no one within the physical world should attempt to recreate or reenact any of his fictional activity.

OpeningPandorasBox
#24 Posted : 5/15/2010 7:46:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Im currently working on a design update which will have either have a solid porous ceramic element, or ceramic fiber sandwiched between two layers of screens in the top piece.
OpeningPandorasBox is a fictional character created by a very imaginative but delusional person. Anything posted by OpeningPandorasBox should be considered nothing more than the incoherent ramblings of an imaginary alter ego. Under no circumstances should what is posted be considered true experiences, ideas, or advice. As far as matters of the law are concerned since OpeningPandorasBox only exists outside the realms of physical reality he is under no jurisdiction and no one within the physical world should attempt to recreate or reenact any of his fictional activity.

Samadhi-Sukha-Upekkha
#25 Posted : 5/18/2010 11:53:58 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: Not separate from the rest of the universe. So, everywhere.
Sort of like a vaporgenie?

OpeningPandorasBox
#26 Posted : 4/6/2011 5:18:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I was emailed several times to re upload the images in this tutorial so here they are. Is there anyway for me to host these on the forum so the links dont just die again?

Deleriant
#27 Posted : 4/6/2011 5:43:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Great, thanks a lot, OPB.

This thread should be made more permanent, in my opinion. It's such a great device for so many reasons.

abnormal
#28 Posted : 4/6/2011 4:33:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You have me convinced, I am headed to the hardware store in a little bit to create my own Key v2!

Thank you kindly OPB, I will report back with my results.

muad dib
#29 Posted : 4/6/2011 8:00:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Lovely etching!

Muad'dib

#30 Posted : 4/6/2011 11:18:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This is by far the best DIY changa smoking kit I have seen. I'm getting one made this weekend. Excellent work! How did you get on making a ceramic version OP?
Oh great - the world has just been replaced by elf machinery.
Sic transit gloria mundi

OpeningPandorasBox
#31 Posted : 4/7/2011 12:18:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I stopped experimenting with ceramic. Although it would work great the Brass screens work more than adequately and are much easier to find. I could incorporate a ceramic element but in reality I think because of its difficulty to source very few other people would find that addition useful.

The current design requires no tools and all the supplies can be picked up by making only two stops at both a hardware store and a smoke shop. The local walgreens even sells pipe screens. These screens are also made to be smoked with where as any porous ceramic I could go out and buy would be designed for some other far different purpose and may or may not cause unknown problems.

MySmelf
#32 Posted : 4/7/2011 1:15:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I would suggest you use a copper mesh disk on top of one screen for the spice to sit on\melt into. It should increase efficiency quite a bit. Even with 10 screens in a GVG some spice still leaks through. If you can breakthrough on less than 35mg then its about as good as a vaporgenie.

By the way I love your engravings, they look great!
Its the MeICNU

I am only someone's imaginary Smelf posting from hyperspace.

acolon_5
#33 Posted : 4/7/2011 3:31:59 AM

The Great Namah

So nice I had to sticky it.
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

OpeningPandorasBox
#34 Posted : 4/7/2011 4:13:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks acolon

After making The Key v1 I put quite a bit of thinking into fixing its flaws and incorporating the water pipe while keeping it as simple as possible. Im glad to see after a weak introduction to the forum it is now having a resurgence.

I hope that those who do build the device report back their experiences.

MelCat
#35 Posted : 4/7/2011 10:41:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I just built one of these and I gotta say I'm quite impressed so far.

I haven't used it for spice or changa yet but vaping some cannabis was wonderful. I can tell it's gonna be quite effective for spice. I'll probably try it with some changa this weekend.

As far as the picture of the parts, when I got the parts, I just went off of the numbers on the packages.

The one in the top right, A-835 was a different part than listed. The correct part number (for my area?) is A-810 Coupling. Just make sure that it is smooth and not threaded on the outside and you'll be good.
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...

Not Sure
#36 Posted : 4/7/2011 11:43:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Looks cool. I have been designing something similar but made out of glass.
โ€œPsychedelics are like square roots. They can take you from a place you know, to a place you never imagined could have existedโ€

tobecomeone00
#37 Posted : 4/8/2011 12:41:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Not a bad pipe! Looks like it could work...
"The search for Truth is the Greatest, if not, most Sensible form of Rebellion."

HBFrank
#38 Posted : 4/8/2011 1:55:43 AM

Frank

it looks absolutely brilliant to me, thanks for sharing.

Psikotrope
#39 Posted : 4/8/2011 4:32:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I've made a similar device. I work in a factory which has a nice supply of fitting such as those you have used above. Brass, stainless, and aluminum. Most of them are for air purposes as much of our machinery operates by air power. Anyway a decent Macguyver pipe for pot can be made with an elbow with a female end. The female end on some brands has a nice bowl like you'd find on a blown pipe. The other side of the elbow has a lock for inserting an air hose. Insert 3-4 inches of hose apply herbs and smoke away. I used this method with steel wool when I first vaped spice.

Since then I have used the connection ends for air tools. I used the end that plugs into your air source. The other side comes in both male and female ends. So they screw together creating a nice chamber which I added a screen to each side loaded the herb infused spice or steel wool and spice. Screw it back together and off you go. Heat can be a problem. I never got around to figuring out a way to hold it however I don't vape long enough for it to get to hot to hold by the end. Plus it fits in your pocket well!

I don't use it all the time but its a great DIY. I may try to piece one together of your design. I'll post a pic since I know my description was confusing especially for someone with no knowledge of the materials.
Psikotrope
AKA Hanuman Dass
http://hanumandass.wordpress.com A blog on nonduality, entheogens, and other such topics.

"It can be what you want it to be but in the end it's all just sensory enhancement." -The thought stream that once saved my life.

OpeningPandorasBox
#40 Posted : 4/8/2011 2:59:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sounds interesting but I don't think many people would have easy access to those parts

PREV1234NEXT»