We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Prehistoric peyote use: Alkaloid analysis and radiocarbon dating (Journal Article) Options

Aoutiv
#1 Posted : 4/22/2010 12:46:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I thought some of you might enjoy this. Nothing new, circa 2005.

Quote:
Abstract
Two archaeological specimens of peyote buttons, i.e. dried tops of the cactus Lophophora williamsii (Lem.) Coulter, from the collection of theWitte Museum in San Antonio, was subjected to radiocarbon dating and alkaloid analysis. The samples were presumably found in Shumla Cave No. 5 on the Rio Grande, Texas. Radiocarbon dating shows that the calibrated 14C age of the weighted mean of the two individual dated samples corresponds to the calendric time interval 3780–3660 BC (one sigma significance). Alkaloid extraction yielded approximately 2% of alkaloids. Analysis with thin-layer chromatography (TLC) and gas chromatography–mass spectrometry (GC–MS) led to the identification of mescaline in both samples. No other peyote alkaloids could be identified. The two peyote samples appear to be the oldest plant drug ever to yield a major bioactive compound upon chemical analysis. The identification of mescaline strengthens the evidence that native North Americans recognized the psychotropic properties of peyote as long as 5700 years ago.
© 2005 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. All rights reserved.
Keywords: Lophophora williamsii; Peyote; Mescal buttons; Mescaline
“I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.”
-Watts-

"We live together, we act on, and react to, one another; but always and in all circumstances we are by ourselves. The martyrs go hand in hand into the arena; they are crucified alone. Embraced, the lovers desperately try to fuse their insulated ecstasies into a single self-transcendence; in vain. By its very nature every embodied spirit is doomed to suffer and enjoy in solitude. Sensations, feelings, insights, fancies — all these are private and, except through symbols and at second hand, incommunicable. We can pool information about experiences, but never the experiences themselves. From family to nation, every human group is a society of island universes."
-Huxley-

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

lyserge
#2 Posted : 4/22/2010 1:31:21 AM

polyfather anomalous

Cool, thanks for pointing this out. This implies that peyote ceremonies pre-dated the Eleusinian Mysteries by at least 2000 years(!). A google search suggested that the earliest peyote use was approximately 10,000 years ago - predating these findings by 4,000 years - but I couldn't find any references for that date.
"...I didn't know that Cheshire cats always grinned; in fact, I didn't know that cats could grin..." - Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Bancopuma
#3 Posted : 4/22/2010 2:19:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Fascinating, thanks for sharing. I had also read the 10,000 years ago claim, but its good to get a scientifically derived carbon dating to give a more concrete estimation of age. And thats a very long time ago indeed. Wow. Cool

Dorge
#4 Posted : 4/23/2010 6:05:39 AM

Chen Cho Dorge

thats why we call him grandpa!
Dorge is cooperatively owned and cooperatively run by various hyperspacial entities working as a collabertive sentience project for the betterment of sentient exploration.

Offical Changa web sitehttp://changa.esotericpharma.org/

Bancopuma
#5 Posted : 4/23/2010 11:36:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Indeed! Very happy

LawnBoy
#6 Posted : 4/25/2010 12:22:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
In fact, W.W. Taylor excavated nine peyote crowns strung together on a cord in a burial cave in the Cuatro Ciénegas basin of Coahuila, Mexico (Taylor 198Cool. One of these specimens was recently radiocarbon dated to 835+35 radiocarbon years ago, or a 2s calendar date of 1070-1280 AD (Terry et al. 2006).

http://www.texasbeyondhi...ature/images/peyote.html
Posts made by me are either fictional or false, or both. I do not endorse, condone or engage in illegal activities. I love the state, my big brother. "I" myself am fictional. I am a collection of individuals, that are not entirely human. "I" do not exist in reality. Any resemblance to an individual bound by laws is merely coincidental. I lie and tell very little of the truth; do not believe me, and, especially, don't hold "me" accountable for any posts.

endlessness
#7 Posted : 4/25/2010 12:30:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

thanks for sharing aoutiv! This and other articles can be found here:

https://www.dmt-nexus.me....aspx?g=posts&t=1441

if you guys have more scientific articles please do share in that thread

amor_fati
#8 Posted : 4/25/2010 1:04:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

What a timely finding. Thanks!