We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
dropping acetone in a mixture containing sodium carbonate and fumaric acid Options

rOm
#1 Posted : 4/21/2010 7:48:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The title ask if it's safe to throw acetone in this kind of mix.
let's say the FASA didn't show anything solid so the dude had to evaporate the initial acetone, then mix the remaining fumaric acid with sodium carbonate and some deionised water to freebase.
The idea is to pull again from there with acetone to filter out the substance of interest.
The dude did notice when adding water to the fumaric acid and sodium carbonate mix the solution was changing to an emulsion.
This eventually chilled out and dried completely.

Will the acetone be safe to add from there ?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Smell like tea n,n spirit !

Toke the toke, and walk the walk !

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Oncewas
#2 Posted : 4/21/2010 9:14:48 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I don't see why it would be unsafe.

However when a base and an acid are mixed they undergo what is called a nuetralization reaction. Creating a salt and water. Expect a reaction though, bases + acids do bubble/fizz(usually CO2 as a byproduct). Some can react violently(though I don't particularly think this will be the case, but be cautious). Add the base/acid slowly in a manage-able fashion in-case it were to start spilling.

Though it may be safe, you will have water containing the sodium fumarate product. I believe that particular ion, would be insoluble in acetone but my question is(not sure though). Would the water with the ion in it, also go into solution with the acetone(h20 and acetone are miscable)? I can't answer that(creating an impurity).

I don't see how it would be unsafe though.

rOm
#3 Posted : 4/21/2010 9:42:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I expect a bit of movement there then, but there will not be any more water in the sodium fumarate if you ask.

Oncewas
#4 Posted : 4/22/2010 12:17:08 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I think your fine and dandy buddy Smile.

If your really worried about it mix a little bit of sodium carbonate and a little fumaric together then add a little acetone with no goodies in it. Just do a little test run. But I HIGHLY doubt anything spooky will happen Smile.

rOm
#5 Posted : 4/22/2010 8:38:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks.