We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
The Key - Portable $5 Vaporizer - Assembly Instructions Options

OpeningPandorasBox
#1 Posted : 4/14/2010 7:59:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The Key - The following is a function over form design which I believe to be the perfect mixture of simplicity and functionality. It can be assembled by anyone with access to a hardware store in a matter of minutes and be fully disassembled in seconds for ease of cleaning which allows full access to every crevice on every piece. The design requires a knife or scissors as the only tool and there is no need to create difficult holes in glass or any other material. The finial product is almost indestructible when used with logical technique, in fact I cannot fathom any way of causing more than 50 cents worth of damage short of throwing it in a wood chipper. The design is also extremely incognito as every piece is made from basic fittings and supplies that would not seem out of place in any garage or junk drawer in existence.

The design is similar to that of the VG or Vapor Genie however in this case no compromise was made for aesthetics and so the device is heated from the bottom which improves efficiency, speed and ease of use. It also allows for very long slow tokes as the user does not need to maintain a certain inhale flow rate to drag the flame down to the heating the element. It also allows increased loading capacity as the distance from the heat source below does not change as the chamber is filled up. Initial tests are simply astounding as almost ZERO smoke is created even with the most vigorous heating. The incoming air is cool in comparison to that of a standard pipe. Seems almost impossible to use incorrectly as long as it is heated sufficiently. Taste and harshness are almost unnoticeable. Tested using both spice and changa with the same success. First test was thought to be a failure because of the smoothness of the inhale until the spice hit!

Enough blabbing, how about some instructions and pictures!

Material List:

1 - 3/4 BARB x 1/2 MALE Thread Adapter (The only important part here is that the fitting has male threads with a 1/2" hole on threaded end and a nice wide barb on the other end to hold the lighter under) Even a HOSE BARB 1/2" ID x 1/2" MALE Threaded would work well it will just have a smaller heating hole ($2)

1 - HOSE BARB 1/2" ID x 1/2" FEMALE Threaded Adapter - (This piece is common and should be used regardless) ($2)

1 - 6" length of 1/2" ID Clear Vinyl Tubing ($.50 if not free - ask for drop pieces)

10 - small pipe screens - should be just a bit larger in diameter than the inner diameter of the male threaded adapter ($.50)

1 - Scrap of cloth (Free)

Optional Tools:

Knife - To cut tubing to size

Pencil - Help to seat screens

First take your male threaded adapter and carefully slide a pipe screen inside on the threaded end. there should be a ridge inside that the screen will catch on near the midpoint of the fitting.

Use a pencil or similar object to seat screens evenly

Continue to place screens on top of each other in the male adapter until there are seven neatly sandwiched together. This will hold anything that may turn to a liquid state after initial heating.

Now load the male adapter with your smoking blend of choice!

Use another screen to cover the material and sandwich it down on top of the other screens. Dont be afraid to load it up heavy as it can easily be set down and then reheated as needed without disassembly. You will also be left with two unused screens as backup top screens because it they can become damaged after many uses.

With the chamber now loaded gather the rest of the pieces! This picture is with the chamber empty so the extra screen seen here will not be needed if you already have your herb compressed

Now assemble! The pieces really only assemble in one way so I will spare everyone too detailed of a description as the picture should explain it all.

Thread the adapters together snug and then wrap with piece of cloth

The cloth is crucial because as is the nature of industrial fittings they are pretty thick and hold heat very well. Once assembled the cloth can be moistened with no danger of wetting the sealed up herbs. The cloth should be saturated in cold water as needed to keep the 1/2" barb temp low enough to avoid melting the vinyl tubing. Here it is fully assembled.

Note that the tubing is also only mounted about 1/3 way down the barb and that the damp cloth covers the remaining 2/3 to further isolate the vinyl from heat. Using more cloth to cover all brass pieces would be ideal.

To vaporize simply hold vertically with the brass end down and a lighter underneath while slowly inhaling so that the flame is pulled up the bottom fitting and the heat can rise up through the screens, through the herbs, and out the tube.

Here is an image of fresh herb next to mostly vaporized herb. As you can see it has not burnt the material but has thoroughly relieved it of its essence.

And thats it! The Key

It can vaporize just about anything that can be smoked!

Just as a word of caution: I do not advocate the use of this device by any human or animal for recreational or even experimental purposes especially for the use of administering illegal substances! If used the device will get VERY HOT so ensure that the cloth is saturated with cool water and that you have somewhere safe to set it down on! Any injury or damages caused by this device should be avoided by simply not building it!

EDIT: The use of wet cloth is just a simple quick method of cooling. A more elegant solution would be great but the purpose of this device is to be effective and affordable on any budget.

OPB

reuben1804 wrote:

After having issues with my smoking tek over the last few weeks and trying to find the best way for me to smoke... I saw a post by OpeningPandoras Box on here about constructing 'The Key'.

I built this at the weekend it cost me about £4 in total and has so far been the best way I have EVER smoked DMT!!

After finding the parts (mine are slightly different to those shown on the original post) it was really easy to make and took about 10 mins! I first used The Key with about 20mg of freebase and got an awesome trip! Also after opening the device there was not a single trace of any DMT left over - the pipe vaporised the DMT perfectlyu and it was the smoothest toke I have had.

I continued to use the pipe with friends for the rest of the night and the results we had using much smaller quantities of DMT were much stronger and better than any previous tek I have used. We were also able to take the hits in one toke whereas before it may have been in two.

I just wanted to say thanks to OPB for the heads up and also give anyone else who is looking for a better smoking tek the heads up about 'The Key'...

DSmile

OpeningPandorasBox is a fictional character created by a very imaginative but delusional person. Anything posted by OpeningPandorasBox should be considered nothing more than the incoherent ramblings of an imaginary alter ego. Under no circumstances should what is posted be considered true experiences, ideas, or advice. As far as matters of the law are concerned since OpeningPandorasBox only exists outside the realms of physical reality he is under no jurisdiction and no one within the physical world should attempt to recreate or reenact any of his fictional activity.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

OpeningPandorasBox
#2 Posted : 4/14/2010 6:23:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Also since this design can be used in any orientation it could be modified using smaller fittings to work in a water style pipe
OpeningPandorasBox is a fictional character created by a very imaginative but delusional person. Anything posted by OpeningPandorasBox should be considered nothing more than the incoherent ramblings of an imaginary alter ego. Under no circumstances should what is posted be considered true experiences, ideas, or advice. As far as matters of the law are concerned since OpeningPandorasBox only exists outside the realms of physical reality he is under no jurisdiction and no one within the physical world should attempt to recreate or reenact any of his fictional activity.

Gir
#3 Posted : 4/14/2010 7:12:00 PM

Gir

Sounds pretty neat, I would like to be able to try this, you mention that you can change out the fittings to support any size water pipe. Does this in turn mean that you could in essence use its as a bowl for a bong? This would be an incredible invention if it could be fitted over a JB 18.8mm, or 15mm piece.

I like the idea of how easy it is to fit all the peices together. Would you be able to use a different type of piping? Like lets say...PVC connectors? that way you could easily disassemble and reassemble the pieces without using the soaked cloth.
Lets go extract something together Smile

house wrote:
19:10:05 โ€นhouseโ€บ mama aya gave me lego man eye healers

Smoke Spice, NOW

Gir likes to tell lies, and the truth, but gir cant even tell the difference between them...

http://www.thevenusproject.com/index.phpTHIS IS THE VENUS PROJECT.

OpeningPandorasBox
#4 Posted : 4/14/2010 7:16:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Have to use brass fittings because as far as I know there are no stainless fittings in most hardware stores. PVC WILL MELT! So i would not try that.

And yes it could easily be adapted to fitting as a vap bowl in a water pipe with the addition of a few more fittings. However the tokes are sooooooo mild in harshness that a waterpipe may be redundant.

Note: This design is still being worked on but for the prototype it works amazingly. Ideally the mouth piece would be made of a glass tube but glass tubing is hard to come by.

Samadhi-Sukha-Upekkha
#5 Posted : 4/28/2010 11:15:56 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: Not separate from the rest of the universe. So, everywhere.
This device is AWESOME.

It was difficult to find pipe screens, so my friend and his friend used steel wool which was burned thoroughly until it produced no further smoke, metallic smell, or color change after being allowed to cool back down. It is absolutely essential to prepare steel wool in this fashion so that one does not inhale metal fumes! Any metallic taste or smell in the vapor should be treated as unacceptable.

Anyway, the device is reported to have worked beautifully. Here is an enhancement which was made to the key.

The end of the tubing was put down the mouth of a standard 20 oz drink bottle until the metal end of the key was at the mouth of the bottle. WET paper towels were placed around the mouth of the water bottle to create a somewhat airtight seal. Washcloth, as shown in the picture for the unmodified key, should also work fine.

A hole was cut in the water bottle around the 15 oz level. Water was added to the bottle up to approximately the 7 oz level (these numbers are all guesses) so that the water level rose about 2 inches (5 cm) above the end of the tubing. This effectively turned the key from a simple vaporization device into a bubbler, so that it can now be used to cool the sometimes hot DMT smoke. In theory, it should also work to burn plant material.

Either way, the paper towel or fabric around the mouth of the bottle and metallic end of the key must be wet before using it, otherwise there is a fire risk. The metal is unlikely to get hot enough to light the paper towel on fire, but if a torch lighter flame misses the opening and blows fire onto dry paper towel, that's really a problem.

OPB, if you came up with this idea yourself, you must be a genius. For $5.00, someone can have a ghetto-fabulous version of a vaporgenie, and $1.25 more will turn it into a water pipe for cooling DMT vapors or, should someone desire it, plant smoke! I certainly hope this idea doesn't fall into the depths of olds threads on the nexus. Perhaps when it moves past the prototype phase and there's a finished version, it can go on the wiki.

amor_fati
#6 Posted : 4/28/2010 11:32:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

Since it uses threaded components, it may be worthwhile to try and outfit it (or a similar device) with porous ceramic, which could likely be found at an aquarium or plumbing supplier.

Deleriant
#7 Posted : 5/5/2010 3:11:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

This little thing looks like a rig. I'll definitely be assembling one of these sometime Smile

Cheers, OPB.

slane
#8 Posted : 7/7/2010 7:19:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you for making this thread! I will be trying this contraption out ASAP for my future travels. It looks wonderfully stealthy too.

TrustLoveMan
#9 Posted : 7/7/2010 8:17:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

My friend had the same design but he used a homemade vaporizer with it. Basically he put a soldering iron in the neck of a wine bottle. The bottom is cut off of the bottle and the soldering iron is fit to the neck with some metal coat hangers. You heat the soldering iron and pull the air out the bottle up to the copper fitting. The hot air is pulled through the fitting and the tube. This actually worked pretty well and we used it to vape herb. I would personally just but a $30 vape though. That way you won't get injured and if you do, you can sue those bastards.
BTW, I love pictorials and I thank you for your contribution.
All Posts are fiction and only exist to entertain

kyrolima
#10 Posted : 7/7/2010 11:09:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Fun. I will definitly try it!

elusive illusion

slane
#11 Posted : 8/18/2010 9:52:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Just made one of these.

Anyone got experience smoking plain ol' spice out of this? I should get the opportunity to in about a week or so. Very excited to see how this turns out.

Shayku
#12 Posted : 8/18/2010 10:03:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Nice object, but I can't help but wonder in what context this would be useful. A "stealthy" blast off? What, like on the subway back from work? While watching a movie with your grand-mother? In the waiting room at the dentist's? Enlighten me.
SWIM is Spartacus!

The things posted on DMT-Nexus by Shayku are generally false. They are for entertainment purposes only.

SnozzleBerry
#13 Posted : 8/18/2010 10:28:01 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

Shayku wrote:
Nice object, but I can't help but wonder in what context this would be useful. A "stealthy" blast off? What, like on the subway back from work? While watching a movie with your grand-mother? In the waiting room at the dentist's? Enlighten me.

How bout the fact that it's a cheap vaporizer; an alternative to the GVG or other relatively expensive smoking apparati? I can think of plenty of reasons why people would want a cheap and inconspicuous vaporizer.
Wiki โ€ข Attitude โ€ข FAQ
The Nexian โ€ข Nexus Research โ€ข The OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
ื’ื ื–ื” ื™ืขื‘ื•ืจ

g13juggalo
#14 Posted : 8/19/2010 5:19:17 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Can all the supplys be found at home depot or lowes?
and would this work for other substances, like cannabis?

SnozzleBerry
#15 Posted : 8/19/2010 2:56:10 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

g13juggalo wrote:
Can all the supplys be found at home depot or lowes?
and would this work for other substances, like cannabis?

yes and yes (at least in theory). Just remember that the vaporization point of different substances varies, so that's something you'll have to work out in your vaping method.
Wiki โ€ข Attitude โ€ข FAQ
The Nexian โ€ข Nexus Research โ€ข The OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
ื’ื ื–ื” ื™ืขื‘ื•ืจ

OpeningPandorasBox
#16 Posted : 4/6/2011 5:46:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Several members requested that I re upload the tutorial images.... here you go

I also reuploaded The KeyV2 images which is similar device used with a water pipe

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=12092

Analogue
#17 Posted : 4/7/2011 11:18:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM's current #1 tool for space travel-Highly recommended (make sure the tube is approx 1ft long to allow the vapors to cool, and a hole can also be added to the tube to function as a pseudo- carb to mix cool air/maintain even easier hits!

g13juggalo:
Swim has personally used the key for cannabis, as well as tobacco and it does work pretty well, however, cannabis seemed more prone to burning (due to its low density swim would imagine) but it can be adjusted with the use of more/less screens

side notes: when using with cannabis, it seems that 70% of the actives (and good taste) are released on the first hit, after several it will start to taste like cardboard, like other vapes, swim suggests stopping at the cardboard phase and using in edibles.
also, with larger chambers, stirring may be necessary to ensure full vaporization
May you find the Light... and bring some back.

PupilOfPerception
#18 Posted : 2/15/2013 12:31:31 AM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

This is my favorite tool of all those I've used to vape spice, and it's a friend's as well. Thank you for posting this, it works a treat for the price!
Quote:
...if you see that it is inconceivable that anything should exist, it is evident that at least one inconceivable fact is there. That is to say, that which exists is not limited to the conceivable. Since the inconceivable is there, it is impossible to set any limit to the quantity of inconceivableness which may be present in the situation. Now were the existence of anything consistently to remind you of the fact of inconceivability...it would be impossible for you to feel in the same way about the conceivable. ...if anyone were reminded about the inconceivable by the fact of existence at all constantly, he would sooner or later have the perception that there may be inconceivable considerations which are inconceivably more important than any conceivable consideration could be. ...if you do have a perception that any conceivable consideration may be utterly invalidated by some other consideration which you do not know, and if you are reminded of this perception constantly by the fact that things exist, certain modifications take place in the way you feel about things. These modifications have not taken place in the psychology of most people.
- Celia Green

OpeningPandorasBox
#19 Posted : 6/22/2013 8:27:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Been gone for quite some time. Glad to see that it lives on!

The Traveler
#20 Posted : 6/22/2013 10:47:46 AM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

OpeningPandorasBox wrote:
Been gone for quite some time. Glad to see that it lives on!

Glad to have you back. How are you these days and any improvements to make on the Key?

Kind regards,

The Traveler

12NEXT