We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Tan colored spice, warm naptha the cause? Options

stevowitz
#1 Posted : 4/10/2010 11:30:42 PM

The Dude

So, The Dude warmed his naptha before adding it to his mix(Nomans) and then shook the CRAP out of it. everything seemed to seperate for him a few hrs later but his naptha was very light tan colored. not dark like the base, but just light milky tan.

he took his pull and let it sit in the freezer and lo and behold! tan colored spice!

he was VERY worried about getting base in his spice so he cleaned it up with a small amount of heated solvent...this only lightened the color and kept some of the "particles" out.

so now he has some light tan spice that doesn't smell like base(definite spice smell here folks)

Did the warm naptha cause this reaction?
Is The Dude safe to try his spice?

(Extra Note, the naptha actually cleared up the next day, but the tan layer stayed in between the base and the solvent)
*We are now at a phase of human development where we have accumulated an enormous amount of knowledge through scientific research in the material world. This is very important knowledge, but it must be integrated. -Hoffman
*A young man who wishes to remain a sound Atheist cannot be too careful of his reading -C.S. Lewis
cephalopods are enlightened -benzyme
T R I P S I T

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Pandora
#2 Posted : 4/10/2010 11:42:23 PM

Got Naloxone?

Welcoming committeeSenior Member

Hi steveowitz,

I'm no chemist but I'm almost sure heating the naptha couldn't cause the problem described. I also believe you are correct to be worried about lye in your product. A solvent wash may not be enough. You may need to pursue a Sodium Carbonate wash https://wiki.dmt-nexus.m...ould_I_wash_my_spice.3F. I would suggest you follow this with a formal recrystallization in heptane just in case the problem is not lye but impure naptha . . . https://wiki.dmt-nexus.me/Noman%27s_tek. Please scroll down in the Noman's tek for a sample recrystallization procedure.

Hope this helps.

Peace & Love,
Pandora
"But even if nothing lasts and everything is lost, there is still the intrinsic value of the moment. The present moment, ultimately, is more than enough, a gift of grace and unfathomable value, which our friend and lover death paints in stark relief."
-Rick Doblin, Ph.D. MAPS President, MAPS Bulletin Vol. XX, No. 1, pg. 2

Hyperspace LOVES YOU

I_Dune_I
#3 Posted : 4/11/2010 2:59:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Pandora wrote:
Hi steveowitz,

I'm no chemist but I'm almost sure heating the naptha couldn't cause the problem described. I also believe you are correct to be worried about lye in your product. A solvent wash may not be enough. You may need to pursue a Sodium Carbonate wash https://wiki.dmt-nexus.m...ould_I_wash_my_spice.3F. I would suggest you follow this with a formal recrystallization in heptane just in case the problem is not lye but impure naptha . . . https://wiki.dmt-nexus.me/Noman%27s_tek. Please scroll down in the Noman's tek for a sample recrystallization procedure.

Hope this helps.

Peace & Love,
Pandora

Are you sure your not a chemist? Because that is exactly what I would do. Quoted for the truth, Good luck OP
This is a Fictional character.

spaghettiman
#4 Posted : 4/15/2010 4:04:17 AM
DMT-Nexus member

fractional crystalization can be nice. sometimes some weird crap will float in naptha, some of the water may make it through as a colloid, or solids perhaps from the base. This is easily removed by cooling til spice is almost sticking down and decanting, a lot of the crap you don't want precipitates and sticks to the bottom long before the goodies start to lay down. I suggest this to anyone with cloudy or otherwise questionable looking organic phase.

and that spice sounds good man, rip dat shit. as long as you freeze precipitated, its gotta be mostly some extra flavorings from the mimosa.

stevowitz
#5 Posted : 4/15/2010 5:09:03 AM

The Dude

thank you for the advice!
*We are now at a phase of human development where we have accumulated an enormous amount of knowledge through scientific research in the material world. This is very important knowledge, but it must be integrated. -Hoffman
*A young man who wishes to remain a sound Atheist cannot be too careful of his reading -C.S. Lewis
cephalopods are enlightened -benzyme
T R I P S I T