We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Does Acidified Alcohol Protect From Harmala Red Formation? Options

plumsmooth
#1 Posted : 4/10/2010 12:27:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

IT is the natural answer to White Rasta's lack of Harmala Red with his extraction tech-- right?

I've also saw mention of Vitamin C as an acidifying agent to protect against the formation of Harmala Red-- lost the thread...

Why Vitamin C vs any other acidifying agents for this particular purpose?

Knowledgeable ones, please give me occasion assignments.

For example, I have a nice collection of quadruple purified Manske from Rue.

And I would be willing to donate some toward any experiments that might solve any unanswered questions in this "Harmalas" department.

So this is the experiment, at the moment, that seems logical toward our shared Harmala purification understanding.

At least, until someone tells me why, and that it has already been answered...

Thank you sincerely for your consideration Knowledgeable ones...

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

CosmicLion
#2 Posted : 4/10/2010 2:54:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

What do you propose?

Someone does a full Manske on some rue then then takes the yield and splits it in two?

One half could be put in IPA and the other half could be put in Acidified IPA. They could both be left to sit for a couple weeks to test for conversion\color change to Harmala Red.

The next step would be to take the bath that turned into "Harmala Red" and evaporate the alcohol.

The acidified and the non-acidified IPA should both be evaporated and the yields compared.

If one does turn to "Harmala Red" the results should be bio-assayed with DMT to show how active they can be regardless of the Red conversion.

Also what do you plan on doing with the extra acid?

If you have acid-saturated IPA w/ Harmala and you try to evaporate it you will be left with a bunch of excess crystals of whatever acid you used.

Also this seems like it might form Harmala Salts with whatever acid you put into the IPA. I don't know if this is your goal but I personally aim for Freebase. Salts are good for oral ingestion so this technique may be prime for making Harmala Salts.

One could take the salts from the evaporated acidic IPA and mix them into some vinegar + basify the vinegar with sodium carbonate. Assuming Sodium Ascorbate forms no precipitate (this should be tested) then the purified Harmala freebase could then be collected.

I have have ton of extra Rue sitting around too perhaps if you generate a solid test I could work with you.

The alcohol-purification before the final freebasing would definitely yield a much more pure + crystalline product.

1. Do a regular Manske extraction
2. Dissolve goods into Acidic Ascorbic Alcohol + Filter through a 3 Micron Filter to remove undissolved solids.
3. Evaporate Alcohol to yield Harmala Salts
4. Mix Harmala Salts with Vinegar
5. Basify Harmala solution using Sodium Carbonate then filter + collect Harmala freebase.

-Eternally Romping the Astral Savannahlands-

burnt
#3 Posted : 4/10/2010 3:35:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

I personally don't believe in this harmala red stuff. I think its an impurity that contaminates ethanol extracts. Both harmine and harmaline can be recrystallized in ethanol with no degradation. Impure harmine and harmaline can be separated from this red stuff with ethanol.

I see no viable mechanism by which harmine or harmaline in the presence of alcohol can degrade so suddenly.

**edit after gathering further information from others SWIM is not sure if the above is correct. It could be wrong. More data must be gathered.

geeg30
#4 Posted : 4/15/2010 12:38:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

There has to be something to it as don't they use alcohol to make 'Harmala Red' - or maybe that's just an alcohol extraction on the seeds themselves. Didn't Phlux or someone do an experiment like this https://www.dmt-nexus.me...posts&t=4469&p=4 (ah that's right he added peroxide)
Here you!!! Gonnaenodaethat

"Iceberg???? - What Iceberg????"