We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Cactus without spines(Growing) Options

deamsterphile
#1 Posted : 3/29/2010 9:20:19 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Hello all

Swim is about to acquire a cactus cutting

But it ships with the spines removed

Swim would like to try and grow the cactus

Does having the spines removed hinder the cactus from growing?

Thank you for your time

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

69ron
#2 Posted : 3/29/2010 9:24:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The spines are not important if you water the cacti properly.

The spines can be important if you don't water it properly. Spines serve two purposes, one is protection from herbivores, and the other is to collect dew and moisture from the air.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

deamsterphile
#3 Posted : 3/29/2010 9:42:07 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks a lot ron for your timely and informative reply!

take care

۩
#4 Posted : 3/29/2010 4:42:24 PM

The lack of spines will probably cause the cactus to produce more mescaline if you do decide to grow it due to stress.

LawnBoy
#5 Posted : 3/30/2010 4:36:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't know if this will help, but from what I understand cacti grown in harsh or unnatural conditions produce none, few, or soft spines. The "penis cacti" produces lots of spines when watered a lot and produces very few spines when watered sparingly. 69ron was right on spot.
http://files.shroomery.o...386-the_hulks_dick03.jpg

The only reason to worry about spines is when you are putting your cacti in a contest or growing them for botanical identification. Some cacti "look better" with spines, for decoration or identification. Otherwise cut them off, so they won't poke you.
Posts made by me are either fictional or false, or both. I do not endorse, condone or engage in illegal activities. I love the state, my big brother. "I" myself am fictional. I am a collection of individuals, that are not entirely human. "I" do not exist in reality. Any resemblance to an individual bound by laws is merely coincidental. I lie and tell very little of the truth; do not believe me, and, especially, don't hold "me" accountable for any posts.

mew
#6 Posted : 4/1/2010 3:29:09 AM

huachumancer

im sure the name penis cacti is relevant to it being naked of spines

pau
#7 Posted : 5/4/2010 2:48:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

True story: a cactophile in a neighboring town acquired a large penis cactus speciman, repotted it, and set it out in their garden. He looked at it a few days later and some snails had chewed off the tops!

Needless to say, there was NO SIGN of the snails.
WHOA!