We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
Aluminum VG's Options

Dimitrius
#21 Posted : 3/28/2010 11:02:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ragabr wrote:
Please report back how you like it, Dimitri-Trance!

Yes, let us know.
"Within your heart is a lotus, and within this lotus is a diamond. This diamond is the source of creation, and in all the creation, there is only one lotus."

"Only from the Heart can you touch the sky." ~ Rumi

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Dimitrius
#22 Posted : 3/31/2010 7:27:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing

Anyone read this? ^^

"Anodized coatings have a much lower thermal conductivity and coefficient of linear expansion than aluminium. As a result, the coating will crack from thermal stress if exposed to temperatures above 80 °C. The coating can crack, but it will not peel.[6] The melting point of aluminium oxide is 2050 °C, much higher than pure aluminium's 658 °C.........."

This doesn't sound good. Confused

Vapor Genie says "These pipes are anodized, inside and out. The anodized layer is thick and durable, which provides good resistance to chemical corrosion and reactivity. There is absolutely no need to be concerned about aluminum exposure.

My understanding of this is...thermal stress will cause the anodized layer to crack, thus exposing the aluminum? Thus exposing me to the aluminum??

I was just about to order one. But I don't know. I don't understand this.

Can anyone make better sense of this than I can, in regards to this Al bat: http://en.wikipedia.org/...izing#Anodized_aluminium
"Within your heart is a lotus, and within this lotus is a diamond. This diamond is the source of creation, and in all the creation, there is only one lotus."

Dimitrius
#23 Posted : 3/31/2010 10:37:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I talked to Vapor Genie about my concerns.

Hi, I'm looking at buying the Al bat. "Anodized coatings have a much lower thermal conductivity and coefficient of linear expansion than aluminium. As a result, the coating will crack from thermal stress if exposed to temperatures above 80 °C. The coating can crack, but it will not peel." This does not sound good to me. It sounds as if the anodized coating will crack or wear down with repeated high temp exposure and the user will be exposed to aluminum byproducts. I own a glass VG and use a high-temp torch lighter. If I were to buy this Al bat, how can I be assured that "There is absolutely no need to be concerned about aluminum exposure."? I feel kind of concerned and don't understand fully.

Anodized coatings are extremely adherent and do not produce particles or
flake off. Even if they crack, newly exposed aluminum instantly forms a
highly adherent oxide coating (which is identical to an anodized
coating, but thinner).

80C (176F) is actually pretty hot and will burn you. The Aluminum bat
does not get this hot.

I suppose edges of the intake hole could be excessively heated if you
hit it directly with the torch flame.

If I held the tip of the flame point approx. 1" away, as I do with my glass VG, do you think that there would be an issue?

if the flame does not touch the aluminum, or touches the aluminum only
slightly, we feel that it is absolutely not an issue.

vovin
#24 Posted : 3/31/2010 10:51:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Prototype and Design Engineer amongst other things, Craftsman

There's allot of anodized aluminum smoking devices out there. I have a anodized 1 hitter for weed and it had never had the coating crack or flake. It has worn at the edges after awhile. But I dont think it's an issue.
If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing.

Dimitri-Trance
#25 Posted : 3/31/2010 11:08:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Just got my Aluminum Pipe VG.
When I first saw It I was surprise at the size of it. Much nicer than in the display photo.
I also just spark a bowl of resin from some mec bud. You know how that is, pretty harsh and not tasty compared to some chronic or bunk stuff.
But in the VG...man...it tasted so good and I new I was gonna get stoned as I was holding those vapors in!

Ok.....now is were the magic starts!Smile

camakazi
#26 Posted : 3/31/2010 11:15:21 PM

RUN DMT

nice Smile

I think one of my friends is going for the Al VG soon. I'll stick with my makeshift devices until face facts and invest in the GVG. I must say they all look very well made and attractive to the eye.
"accept the possibility that you may never come back, then your mind is truly open."
____________________________________________________________________________________

The playful ballad of the sacred salad.

halten
#27 Posted : 4/1/2010 12:10:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I just got a VG classic, and I couldn't imagine getting the aluminum pipe. Glass maybe.

The metal midsection on my pipe gets hot enough, I couldn't imagine an entire aluminum pipe with that ceramic element.

Dimitri-Trance
#28 Posted : 4/1/2010 12:35:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

halten wrote:
I just got a VG classic, and I couldn't imagine getting the aluminum pipe. Glass maybe.

The metal midsection on my pipe gets hot enough, I couldn't imagine an entire aluminum pipe with that ceramic element.

Does not get hot at all.
It gets warm.Rolling eyes Really warm!
Swim just packed the smallest bowl possible of spice and some peppermint to try it out because last time swim was pissed that no matter how much spice was packed, in the sandwich method, swim always got like half the effects and sitting in that dam waiting room. So swims 10th time he use a light bulb and packed the same as the sandwich method, which was alot, and blacked out and woke up with many entities. So I did not want to over do it in the best possible way to inhale spice(the VG and not even burning it).

Swim maybe packed about 10mg of some yellow/white crystals, inhaled all in 2 hits and felt stoned! Swim dident broke trough (wasn't expecting)or even to the waiting room but Swim was stoned and it was still going on for about 7 minutes.
Man....this is how all the effect are really felt like....Awesome!!!!!!
Cant wait to try 40...or maybe 50mg!

halten
#29 Posted : 4/1/2010 12:42:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Glad to see the aluminum pipe's quality matches the others Smile. Please report back after a higher dose!

L_Star
#30 Posted : 4/2/2010 4:46:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Them lads at Vapor Genie must be making a killing. Looks sleek and sexy, like a sports car...mmmm i need me on of them shinny new toys. (i think not). Lets not get to hooked by a fad smoking accessory. But no the less, nice to have new toys on the market.

R*R
L
Much respect to all from L_Star

Disclaimer: EVERYTHING posted by L_Star is said from the following persons: SWIM. All are hypothetical posts and are not endorsements of any activities, beliefs, and practices stated, that may be correlated with the person stated, or another person posting, or third party user, in anyway on dmt-nexus.com. All that is said is for educational purposes and as said is "hypothetical" and therefore cannot be taken for true accounts. SWIM and L_Star abide by the Law in all practices. SWIM would like reader to note that SWIM is blind, and L_Star is a typing assistant voluntering for SWIM. L_Star is bound by legal legislation for customer privacy by Data Protection Act, therefore SWIM will not be identified.

Regards L_Star

vovin
#31 Posted : 4/2/2010 5:01:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Prototype and Design Engineer amongst other things, Craftsman

If you have the money to blow then there's no harm done spending it on a fancy new pipe just realize that a 10 dollar pipe from the head shop will get the job done just as well.
If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing.

PREV12