We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Psychology and Neuroscience Options

MetaXIII
#1 Posted : 3/26/2010 4:49:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've created this topic hoping to get a little help from the members of our community. You see for the past 2 or so years I've been a computer major, but I spent more time researching psychedelics than being a code monkey. Finally I dropped out and reapplied into a psychology major.

I did this right after I sat in a fourth year psychology class that my friend is in. I was surprised to see how much I knew. So having reapplied and hoping to get into psychology this coming September, I wanted to learn as much as possible before then. The area of psychology that interests me is of course consciousness.

So here is what I hoped the Nexus could help me with. I have started to write down names of philosophers, psychologists, and neuroscientists that I could read up on or who are currently working in the field so that I would know what research is going on and maybe work with them in the far future. I know that some members of our community are psychologists and was hoping they would know more about that. Here are some of the few people I found.

Alan Watts - philosopher
Burrhus Frederic Skinner - psychologist
Carl Jung - psychologist
Carlos Castaneda - anthropologist
Christof Koch - neuroscientist
Daniel Dennett - philosopher
Francis Crick - neuroscientist
James Hillman - psychologist
Jeff Hawkins - neuroscientist
Ken Wilber - psychologist
Milton Hyland Erickson - psychiatrist
Patricia Smith Churchland - philosopher
Richard Bandler - psychologist
Sigmund Frued - neurologist
Stanislav Grof - psychiatrist
Stanley Milgram - psychologist
Vilayanur S. Ramachandran - neurologist

Also if you notice I have Richard Bandler on that list. He is the co-founder of NLP. I was hoping that members familiar with it could tell me if NLP is a scam or not, because a lot of people say it works while a lot of psychologists say it was discredited. Strangely I myself have found the small amount of NLP I have learned to work.

Finally I want to say that any information provided is immensely valued and I would like to thank the members of the Nexus for their help.
Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. - Bokonon

To fathom Hell or soar angelic, just take a pinch of psychedelic. - Humphry Osmond in a poetic exchange with Aldous Huxley

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

benzyme
#2 Posted : 3/26/2010 5:02:43 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

there's a difference between neuroscience and psychobabble.

the latter is somewhat entertaining, the former is dull and factual but somewhat interesting.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

benzyme
#3 Posted : 3/26/2010 5:14:29 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

sorry...that didn't help any

Deoxy is an old fav site of mine to ponder such stuff, has bios and links to several of the ones you listed, and then some
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

MetaXIII
#4 Posted : 3/26/2010 5:14:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The people who are neuroscientists or neurologists on that list are:

Christof Koch
Francis Crick
Jeff Hawkins
Vilayanur S. Ramachandran
Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. - Bokonon

To fathom Hell or soar angelic, just take a pinch of psychedelic. - Humphry Osmond in a poetic exchange with Aldous Huxley

benzyme
#5 Posted : 3/26/2010 5:20:07 PM

analytical chemist

Kenneth Cole
George Marmount
Erwin Neher
Bert Sakmann

neuroscientists who pioneered the voltage-clamp and patch-clamp techniques, respectively

MetaXIII
#6 Posted : 3/26/2010 5:27:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you benzyme. I don't even know what the voltage-clamp and patch-clamp techniques are but it's making me very excited to find out. Once again many thanks.

benzyme
#7 Posted : 3/26/2010 5:39:21 PM

analytical chemist

voltage clamp and patch clamp techniques are methods of measuring electric potential traveling across neurons, and in ion-channels, respectively. they're good methods of monitoring action potentials in response to various chemical stimuli.

burnt
#8 Posted : 3/26/2010 6:51:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

I can tell you who I don't like on that list:

Alan Watts - philosopher
Carl Jung - psychologist
Carlos Castaneda - anthropologist
Stanislav Grof - psychiatrist

I can't take most of the work of these people seriously. But thats just me. I like most of the rest of the people you posted though.

Steven Pinker has also done some interesting stuff with psychology language and evolution. Might be worth checking out. Also Sam Harris has some interesting things to say about ethics, mystical experiences and neurology.

benzyme
#9 Posted : 3/26/2010 7:22:29 PM

analytical chemist

burnt wrote:
I can't take most of the work of these people seriously. But thats just me.

no, it's not just you
their theories are essentially psychobabble, a reason I don't take Leary very seriously anymore upon further review.
interesting theories (or not), but not exactly testable.

we're trained to look at things in terms of testable hypotheses, to draw correlations between evidence and imagination. that's science.

vovin
#10 Posted : 3/26/2010 7:58:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Prototype and Design Engineer amongst other things, Craftsman

The issue is that so little is known of the human mind that the 'psychobabble' is all we have to draw from. Personally I am a big fan of Carl Jung.
If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing.

benzyme
#11 Posted : 3/26/2010 8:03:37 PM

analytical chemist

vovin wrote:
The issue is that so little is known of the human mind that the 'psychobabble' is all we have to draw from.

hence imagination.
it's a philosophy, which is all fun and good, entertaining and whatnot. people like that, because it's open-ended.
science is more precise and tangible, most people find it dull. it is pretty boring to read papers and interpret data, i'll admit

but it does present tangibility, or address intangibles.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

ragabr
#12 Posted : 3/26/2010 8:41:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

MetaXIII, regarding NLP, the further I work with it the more effective I find it. The major fragmentation of the field of psychology leads to a major problem. Psychologists unfamiliar with work outside of, say, neuroscience, feel qualified to speak on social psychology. At my uni. department, professors would scoff at hypnosis research in class, completely ignorant of over a century of consistently reverified findings.

I think you may really enjoy Gregory Bateson. His classic Steps to an Ecology of Mind starts out slow, but what it builds, fascinating.
PK Dick is to LSD as HP Lovecraft is to Mushrooms

MetaXIII
#13 Posted : 3/27/2010 4:38:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. A quick search on the people mentioned has me intrigued. Can't wait to start some serious research.

@ragabr I had a discussion with a friend where we thought that maybe NLP is treated like hypnosis in the psychology circles, it works but many still won't accept it, but not knowing anything on the subject I was still skeptical. I'm kinda pleased that's the case with NLP. I'd rather have it be a positive working model that's not yet accepted rather than a smartly built scam.

nen888
#14 Posted : 12/24/2011 4:30:05 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..hi, i posted this link to one of the best neuroscience summary talks i've seen in the spiritual section ["Clear Light of the Void"], but i like having a foot in all camps..Smile

Jeff Hawkins on Artifical Intelligence (pt1/5)

i apologise if many of you have already seen it..i think it's a great sum up of current trends in A.I. and neuroscience..tree-like hierarchical systems and pattern recognition (though no one has much to say about the 'top' level, the 'operator'Pleased

Infectedstyle
#15 Posted : 12/27/2011 1:34:36 PM
I compulsively post from time to time

Michael A. Persinger (inventor of the god helmet) and Todd Murphy are currently one of my favourites. Tough concepts for me as a beginner but i have already learned a lot from them. Their ideas are also very scientifically verifiable.

Citta
#16 Posted : 12/27/2011 2:01:54 PM

Skepdick

Sam Harris.

joedirt
#17 Posted : 12/27/2011 2:46:00 PM

Not I

benzyme wrote:
burnt wrote:
I can't take most of the work of these people seriously. But thats just me.

no, it's not just you
their theories are essentially psychobabble, a reason I don't take Leary very seriously anymore upon further review.
interesting theories (or not), but not exactly testable.

we're trained to look at things in terms of testable hypotheses, to draw correlations between evidence and imagination. that's science.

I am trained that way as well, but that doesn't mean I can't be open to truths that lie outside the realm
of testabe science. I try to find a balance that is certainly tilted towards science, but that remains open
to truths that appear to only be available via experience.

The world is very strange. Science (The art of questioning) is without a doubt the way forward.
When however, will the majority of scientists once again start to ask questions about things that
must be determined via experience and not via repeatable testable lab experiments?

Yoga,
Thai Chi,
Kun-fu,
Kabbalah

are just a few examples of scientific disciplines that have an emphasis on experience...and yes I do understand that many scientists
won't consider them a science. But science they are. Yoga specifically has alway's been referred to as the science of religion.

Personally I think the scientific method, in it's current form, should be replaced with this.

Believe Nothing - Hold no belief in such high regard that you aren't willing to change it.
Allow for anything - Ghosts, faries, goblins, Gods, Parallel Universes, etc. Never rule out an option because of ego.
Question Everything - Literally everything. What am I?, why am I?, were did that thought arise. And of course typical scientific question as well.

When those three things are balanced good science is done. I see WAY to many scientists that have put science on the pedestal of religion
and have essentially blinded themselves to a whole world of experiential truth that lies outside current experimental paradigms.

To each his own, but I much prefer a world filled with science and unbounded by mysticism.

Peace.

If your religion, faith, devotion, or self proclaimed spirituality is not directly leading to an increase in kindness, empathy, compassion and tolerance for others then you have been misled.

clouds
#18 Posted : 12/27/2011 6:43:42 PM

Human

Nice post joedirt.

Aetherius Rimor
#19 Posted : 12/27/2011 8:22:32 PM
DMT-Nexus member

To me, psychology shouldn't be written off as psychobabble.

Psychology (and other theories related), are guesses at the high level functionality of the lower level implementation of the biological machine our brain is.

One does not need to know the low level magnetic/eletrical impulses needed to encode data on a hard drive to understand what a File is.

Psychology attempts to explain those high level abstract concepts that the low level neuroscience creates through physical implementation.

Edit: Of course abstract concepts, such as a "File", only exist because we call it such. If we discovered a computer before understanding it's components, and could not ask the creators, we would come up with our own explanations and theories on how things work on a lower level. That's all psychology is doing in my mind. High level theory/concepts to give the lower level mechanics meaning.

Opiod interactions in the brain would be relatively meaningless without an understanding of the high level concept of pleasure.

TheMindBender
#20 Posted : 1/24/2012 4:13:25 AM

"Isnโ€™t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

Only did a quick skim and didn't notice if he was on there or not... but if not definitely Rick Strassman.

Also, just going to throw my two cents in. Jung's theory of the archetypes of the subconscious is wonderful in my opinion.

Good luck in school!
โ€œRecognize that the very molecules that make up your body, the atoms that construct the molecules, are traceable to the crucibles that were once the centers of high mass stars that exploded their chemically rich guts into the galaxy, enriching pristine gas clouds with the chemistry of life. So that we are all connected to each other biologically, to the earth chemically and to the rest of the universe atomically. Thatโ€™s kinda cool! That makes me smile and I actually feel quite large at the end of that. Itโ€™s not that we are better than the universe, we are part of the universe. We are in the universe and the universe is in us.โ€
โ€• Neil deGrasse Tyson