We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Ethyl acetate + Rubber: Safety? Mason Jars? Options

plantatron
#1 Posted : 1/21/2024 6:05:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi Nexus!

I had stored some ethyl acetate in some small 250ml mason jars - jars that have a metal lid and a rubber for sealing. I had checked the EA safety link ( https://www.msdsonline.c...melling-safety-hazard/#:~:text=Ethyl%20acetate%20is%20highly%20flammable,with%20the%20eyes%20or%20skin. ) and read elsewhere that EA is used for rubber "conditioning", so I assumed those jars to be fine.

However, after a couple of weeks, the rubber now had become somewhat light, some changed, and one even broke, see picture.

I now found https://www.marcorubber....tibility/ETHYL%20ACETATE - saying that "When exposed to ethyl acetate, rubber can experience swelling, cracking, and embrittlement."

So, my questions are:

1) What mason jar lids are fine/recommended with EA?

2) What is causing this rubber "change"? Is EA extracting something from the rubber? I'd like to re-use the EA with the sodium carbonate + brine wash method, but I'm not sure if the washed EA would be safe to use. Probably the two washes would not remove a possibly different solvent/plasticiser(?) ? Also, maybe even if it would be no health risk, would the compound extracted from the rubber mess with precipitation of our favourite molecules?
plantatron attached the following image(s):
ea-rubber.png (228kb) downloaded 45 time(s).
Blissful and in wonderment, out in the open, on a mountain top, beneath a blueish star-laden sky.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

ShadedSelf
#2 Posted : 1/21/2024 8:10:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I found myself on a similar situation, the EA came into contact with the red and clear plastics on the lid and started to dissolve them as fas as I could tell.
Personally, I chose to discard the EA given that I dont have the means to make sure its safe to use. I imagine the risk is less if yours has only come into contact in gas form, but still.

For short term storage I put some aluminium foil in between the jar and the lid. For long term you might want to find a suitable container.

Loveall
#3 Posted : 1/21/2024 9:22:54 PM

❤️‍🔥

Chemical expertSenior Member

The red ring does change (swell/discolor) with time. Not something I personally worry too much about, but each should make their own decision.

For long term storage use polypropylene lids (see image).
Loveall attached the following image(s):
Screenshot_20240121_162627_Chrome.jpg (92kb) downloaded 31 time(s).
💚🌵💚 Mescaline CIELO TEK 💚🌵💚
💚🌳💚DMT salt e-juice HIELO TEK💚🌳💚
💚🍃💚 Salvinorin Chilled Acetone with IPA and Naphtha re-X TEK💚🍃💚

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 1/22/2024 1:19:24 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Solvent and reagent compatibility with various storage and handling materials can be looked up in any of the various materials compatibility charts available online.

Those seals appear to be natural rubber (and looking here, synthetic rubber would be worse), perhaps a replacement made of silicone is available? That would be far more resistant - about as good as polypropylene according to the charts. Nylon is even more resistant to EA than those two but you'd want to weigh that off against its poorer restance to some other materials. Fairly large washers made from both nylon and polypropylene can be found at hardware stores and plumbers' merchants.

Of course, if the PP lids are available, that is the simplest option but it's still helpful to know some alternatives.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

plantatron
#5 Posted : 1/26/2024 2:08:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Awesome, thanks so much for all the input!
Blissful and in wonderment, out in the open, on a mountain top, beneath a blueish star-laden sky.