We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Cold exposure (cold showers, ice baths, cold lake swimming, ...) Options

psychonautt
#1 Posted : 1/18/2024 10:11:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Probably you've heard of people doing this- taking cold showers or taking ice baths etc. The hype around this is actually justified. Huge mood boost (lasting for sometimes multiple days) and has various significant health benefits. Recommended!

Pics below are my current set-up; taking advantage of the currently freezing temps in Belgium (which alas will soon be over already), and doing it outside is way more fun.
psychonautt attached the following image(s):
WhatsApp Image 2024-01-18 at 11.10.07 (2).png (1,426kb) downloaded 75 time(s).
WhatsApp Image 2024-01-18 at 11.10.07 (1).png (648kb) downloaded 75 time(s).
WhatsApp Image 2024-01-18 at 11.10.07.png (1,761kb) downloaded 75 time(s).
“Joy at the smallest things comes to you only when you have accepted death. But if you look out greedily for all that you could still live, then nothing is great enough for your pleasure, and the smallest things that continue to surround you are no longer a joy” -C.G. Jung

"When in the body of a donkey, enjoy the taste of grass." -Tibetan Buddhist saying

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Nydex
#2 Posted : 1/18/2024 9:12:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah, the science backing the positive benefits of deliberate cold exposure is pretty solid at this point. I don't have the space for a cold plunge unfortunately, but I do treat myself to at least 12 minutes of cold shower a week, mostly after working out.

There's a fantastic Huberman Lab episode about it, where Andrew explains the science behind it in great depth. Higly recommended to anyone interested into that kind of thing.
TRUST

LET GO

BE OPEN

psychonautt
#3 Posted : 1/19/2024 8:24:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Nydex wrote:
I don't have the space for a cold plunge unfortunately, but I do treat myself to at least 12 minutes of cold shower a week, mostly after working out.

I only do a cold plunge when it is very cold outside, because otherwise it is just too much of a hassle to artificially make the water cold every time I want to do a plunge. However, if you nonetheless want very cold water to shower with, you can, even during the peak of summer. I once wrote a tutorial for this for the Wim Hof facebook group, I attached it to this post if you are interested.

(Basically you put water in a bucket and add a huge ice block and then use a camping shower to shower with. The only downside is that the beams of the camping shower are less powerful than your regular shower. The upside is that you can shower in 1-4°C water whatever the season.)
“Joy at the smallest things comes to you only when you have accepted death. But if you look out greedily for all that you could still live, then nothing is great enough for your pleasure, and the smallest things that continue to surround you are no longer a joy” -C.G. Jung

"When in the body of a donkey, enjoy the taste of grass." -Tibetan Buddhist saying

Jees
#4 Posted : 1/19/2024 5:53:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Did cold showers before but lost the habit doing it.
IIRC Wim Hof state a 3 month period for adapted physiology, which I understand as changed bloodflow performance in the skin. I remember the beginning as cutting pain, which later on gradually changed to just very cold without the cutting pain. I think one can't be proficient from the start, needing a growing into-it period. Too bad I didn't continue long enough but this thread brings it back up into focus, so maybe I'll have to get back in touch with the cold. Thumbs up

psychonautt
#5 Posted : 1/26/2024 8:00:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Jees wrote:
I think one can't be proficient from the start, needing a growing into-it period. Too bad I didn't continue long enough but this thread brings it back up into focus, so maybe I'll have to get back in touch with the cold. Thumbs up

Yep, building up is important. IME this happens quite quickly, though. The main thing to get over is the mental resistance against the cold.
And yeah, I recommend getting back to it, it's one of my favorite health practices- Low effort but big rewards Smile

ephedra
#6 Posted : 1/27/2024 1:12:55 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Nydex wrote:
Yeah, the science backing the positive benefits of deliberate cold exposure is pretty solid at this point. I don't have the space for a cold plunge unfortunately, but I do treat myself to at least 12 minutes of cold shower a week, mostly after working out.

There's a fantastic Huberman Lab episode about it, where Andrew explains the science behind it in great depth. Higly recommended to anyone interested into that kind of thing.

your profile picture moves

...and for the topic, yeah!

in my experience, cold exposure is good & I used to take cold showers in anxiety times in the past, result as a kind of catalizer of it,
good for prevent mental collapse as well, and with sports, the great!
დ there is a Spirit, there is a Soul დ