We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
ethel and sulfuric ether...one in the same? Options

greymatter
#1 Posted : 2/28/2010 12:15:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

i can get ether easily here..one in small quanitys from a university lab...another from pharmacys...the one from the pharmacy says ether sulfuratico..or sulfuric ether in english
i know that ether is produced with sulfuric acid and my friend and i theorized that it was the same...different way of saying the same thing as there are differnt ways of expressing the letters in tryptamines..can anybody concur?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

benzyme
#2 Posted : 2/28/2010 3:32:09 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

sulfuric ether sounds like some crude form from ether synthesis.
ether can be made from reacting ethanol with sulfuric, as it is a dehydration reaction.
standard ACS-grade diethyl ether has no sulfuric in it, but it does have BHT for stabilization
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

greymatter
#3 Posted : 2/28/2010 6:50:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

so i guess more dirictly; would sulfuric ether be acceptable to use as a polar solvent?

benzyme
#4 Posted : 2/28/2010 6:57:15 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

depends on the application

it only has one H-bond acceptor, so it's not typically used as a solvent for polar phase extractions; but it is used as the non-polar phase in some alkaloid extractions.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck