We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
First liberty caps! (2023) Options

the red squirrel
#1 Posted : 10/14/2023 1:43:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The weather conditions were less than ideal last month, but over the last few days, it finally rained, and today, I finally stumbled upon a fantastic liberty cap patch! Let's hope it's a good beginning for a late-season start

the red squirrel attached the following image(s):
P. semilanceata.jpg (87kb) downloaded 277 time(s).
P. semilanceata II.jpg (251kb) downloaded 275 time(s).
May there be peace and love and perfection throughout all creation
~ John Coltrane

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

dreamer042
#2 Posted : 10/14/2023 7:52:27 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

Hooray! May the libs be bountiful this season. Thumbs up
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

downwardsfromzero
#3 Posted : 10/14/2023 9:09:38 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

I found one single, dainty lib while out this evening. It seems to have made for a pleasant microdose Smile
downwardsfromzero attached the following image(s):
20231014_180105.jpg (4,192kb) downloaded 252 time(s).

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

DansMaTete
#4 Posted : 10/14/2023 11:23:57 PM

[insert something smart/deep here]

@downwardsfromzero, doesn't seem to be a liberty.

« I love the smell of boiling MHRB in the morning »

downwardsfromzero
#5 Posted : 10/15/2023 1:10:12 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

DansMaTete wrote:
@downwardsfromzero, doesn't seem to be a liberty.

I can assure you it was, it's a poor angle that fails to show the papilla on the cap. Ps. semilanceata is a highly variable species and I have been collecting it for over 28 years.

Here's another angle, I failed to get a decent shot of the papilla entirely but we can see that the stem is wavy, paler beige at the top becoming more reddish towards the base, where there are white, woolly mycelial remnants. There are dark brown spores gathered on the annular, cortinate velar remnants a shortish distance below the stem apex. The gills are purplish brown, evenly spaced, detached and have a pale strip at the edge. We can also see evenly-spaced intermediate partial gills. The cap margin is translucent-striate here in its wet state, the cap appearing a mid olive-brown. The papilla was translucent and a lighter orange-brown.
20231014_180026.jpg (4,998kb) downloaded 234 time(s).

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

DansMaTete
#6 Posted : 10/15/2023 1:12:13 AM

[insert something smart/deep here]

Thumbs up
« I love the smell of boiling MHRB in the morning »

downwardsfromzero
#7 Posted : 10/15/2023 1:30:08 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Btw, I added a bit more description just for additional reassurance but here's a shot from a good few years ago that shows some of the variations one can expect with this species. Notice that in the upper right quadrant at about 2 o'clock there is a small specimen with a more broadly opened cap. That is more or less similar to the specimen in the previous picture. This pattern of broad opening occurs in about 2 - 5% of liberty caps depending on the conditions.
IMG_2402.JPG (3,689kb) downloaded 230 time(s).

acacian
#8 Posted : 10/15/2023 8:02:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

the last picture is some fine art downwardsfromzero..

downwardsfromzero
#9 Posted : 10/15/2023 9:34:53 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

acacian wrote:
the last picture is some fine art downwardsfromzero..

Thanks!
There's plenty more where that came from but I'll save them for a different thread since posting further dozen-year-old shroom pics would be derailing this thread.

the red squirrel
#10 Posted : 10/16/2023 1:51:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
This pattern of broad opening occurs in about 2 - 5% of liberty caps depending on the conditions.

Wow, I never knew this; lots of thanks for sharing this rare liberty cap variant. Guess I don't want to know how many of these 'broad opening variants' I didn't recognise as P. semilanceata but thought those were some random LBM or Mycena sp. Shocked
~ John Coltrane

downwardsfromzero
#11 Posted : 10/19/2023 2:51:42 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

It's not so much a variant in the sense that it's a consistent trait in a specific group of mushrooms, rather that they occur as part of the natural range af variation. My suspicion is that this form is seen when the stem length to thickness ratio is higher, where the genetic mechanisms behind this 'stretching out' become more strongly activated. There's also a form where this process of cap expansion runs even further, causing the cap margin to become uplifted and even to roll back in on itself - practically the opposite of what might be expected of a 'normal' liberty cap. That form tends to occur more among the stouter and larger specimens.

I ought to make a montage of my liberty cap pics that show many of the variations. The very rarest I've found is the sporeless albino but sadly I didn't manage to photograph it. That one was literally one in a million. One thing I've never seen is the pouch form of libs which is known to occur in Scotland and mirrors the Weraroa pouch fungus of New Zealand.

I seem to recall having posted pics of sporeless libs on here a few years back. If I can't dig them out it'll be more impetus to get on with the thread on lib morphology and other variations.

the red squirrel
#12 Posted : 10/25/2023 10:34:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm eager to explore the variations of liberty caps & I would love to see your montage downwardsfromzero.

Speaking of strange mushroom phenomena. A few days ago I stumbled on a large patch of some beautiful large liberty caps in a swamp. Originally, I was searching for some nice waxcaps (Hygrocybe) to photograph but suddenly I found this large liberty cap among the peat moss (Sphagnum sp.) & recently cut common rush (Juncus effusus). There were some grasses but the area definitely resembled more a marsh than the typical grassland/meadow where liberty caps grow (the marsh was also very waterlogged as well). I guess that the soil nitrogen content was high enough the let the libs sprout over there...
IMG_20231022_113020.jpg (4,242kb) downloaded 143 time(s).
IMG_20231022_113013.jpg (9,316kb) downloaded 144 time(s).
~ John Coltrane

downwardsfromzero
#13 Posted : 10/25/2023 2:37:40 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

That's a lovely little scene you captured there. Thumbs up It's the sort of thing that would get me taking hundreds of shots in pursuit of the "perfect" one Laughing

doubledog
#14 Posted : 10/31/2023 1:19:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

There is also a similar mushroom species, Psilocybe strictipes, which could be confused with P. semilanceata.

https://en.m.wikipedia.o...iki/Psilocybe_strictipes

the red squirrel
#15 Posted : 10/31/2023 3:07:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
There is also a similar mushroom species, Psilocybe strictipes, which could be confused with P. semilanceata.

It could be but I checked the species occurrence records of my region (via GBIF.org) & nowhere near me in a radius of 300 km had any observations of the species. So I guess you can rule out the P. strictipes for my observation
~ John Coltrane

dragonrider
#16 Posted : 10/31/2023 5:27:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

the red squirrel wrote:
I'm eager to explore the variations of liberty caps & I would love to see your montage downwardsfromzero.

Speaking of strange mushroom phenomena. A few days ago I stumbled on a large patch of some beautiful large liberty caps in a swamp. Originally, I was searching for some nice waxcaps (Hygrocybe) to photograph but suddenly I found this large liberty cap among the peat moss (Sphagnum sp.) & recently cut common rush (Juncus effusus). There were some grasses but the area definitely resembled more a marsh than the typical grassland/meadow where liberty caps grow (the marsh was also very waterlogged as well). I guess that the soil nitrogen content was high enough the let the libs sprout over there...

Beautiful. In my area they are hard to find, unlike for instance fly agarics that afe popping up almost everywhere, but i love that once you find a spot you immediately see dozens of them.

the red squirrel
#17 Posted : 11/1/2023 4:15:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

dragonrider wrote:
the red squirrel wrote:

Beautiful. In my area they are hard to find, unlike for instance fly agarics that afe popping up almost everywhere, but i love that once you find a spot you immediately see dozens of them.

That's indeed completely true; once you see just one you can be almost 99% sure that in your intermediate surroundings, others will be growing as well as they grow in groups

People give two explanations for it; one is more materialistic while the other is more metaphysical. Once you see the mushroom you are looking for, the mind creates an internal image whereby the temporary pattern recognition skills for the specific species are increased. On the other hand, the mushroom only reveals itself when the divine teōnanācatl thinks you are ready and prepared for it
~ John Coltrane

the red squirrel
#18 Posted : 11/8/2023 4:43:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The Teōnanācatl were gracious and generous today Smile

IMG_20231108_162052.jpg (5,521kb) downloaded 72 time(s).
~ John Coltrane

the red squirrel
#19 Posted : 11/8/2023 4:54:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
The very rarest I've found is the sporeless albino but sadly I didn't manage to photograph it. That one was literally one in a million. One thing I've never seen is the pouch form of libs which is known to occur in Scotland and mirrors the Weraroa pouch fungus of New Zealand.

Downwardsfromzero, I've think I might found a sporeless albino of P. semilanceata: It fits all the boxes of the typical characteristics (blueish stem, pointed papilla, pale and stiff stem...) but this adult specimen doesn't have the typical dark purple gills. Therefore I might suspect it being a sporeless one as I already have seen a lot of smaller lib caps who are younger and already have the dark gills. I might take it to the lab to have a view on a microscope of it...
lib_cap_2.jpg (2,957kb) downloaded 60 time(s).
lib_cap_1.jpg (1,832kb) downloaded 61 time(s).
~ John Coltrane

Jagube
#20 Posted : 11/8/2023 6:33:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Aren't they supposed to be lighter colored at the nipple than the rest of the cap? There are lookalikes where the coloring is inverted and the nipple is dark.

They don't grow around me, but I traveled far the other day and found a bunch of them for the first time.

12NEXT