We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Melting DMT to remove cyclohexane Options

someonesomehere
#1 Posted : 9/15/2023 11:53:23 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Hello!

I have some DMT that may or may not be contaminated by cyclohexane (I recently got help with a method to check this). My naptha has a cyclohexane content of 2% which does not crystallize in the freezer but may theoretically co-crytsallize with the DMT once extracted and put in the freezer.

So my question is, would the cyclohexane (if there is any) evaporate completely if I were to melt the DMT and let it sit for a while? This seems like an easy fix but chemistry is not always on your side... Maybe the cyclohexane would simply be stuck in the liquid DMT? I would assume the density of liquid DMT is higher than cyclohexane (0.7739 g/ml) and that it would float on top until eventually evaporated.

Your wisdom and knowledge is greatly appreciated Thumbs up

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

brokedownpalace10
#2 Posted : 9/15/2023 5:24:34 PM
DMT-Nexus member

What if you chopped it up very fine and spread it thin for a few days. Then, you could dissolve in ethanol and evap.

downwardsfromzero
#3 Posted : 9/15/2023 7:50:17 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

DMT will possibly remain miscible with c-hexane when molten, hence the suggestion in the other thread to dissolve a sample in vinegar and check for oiliness.

Cutting to the chase, just a couple of dissolve/evap cycles in ethanol or acetone should clear up c-hex residue, whether it's there or not. Would still be nice if you were to check.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Twilight Person
#4 Posted : 9/15/2023 8:38:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

As long as you can freeze out dmt from your mixture, why not just leaving the crystals in a ventilated area, that would also also evaporate this cyclo hexane I hope. I checked wikipedia it says it evaporates pretty fast so I guess you should be safe?
~ O ~

downwardsfromzero
#5 Posted : 9/16/2023 1:08:32 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Twilight person - evaporation would be much slower from within the crystal matrix, hence the suggestion to dissolve the material. This opens apart the crystals and would release any cyclohexane that might happen to be trapped in their. The c-hex then evaporates off along with the alcohol.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

someonesomehere
#6 Posted : 9/16/2023 2:09:53 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I am definitely gonna keep the acetone as a back up, very greatful for that input and I'm sure it will work great!

I'm genuinely very intrigued by the chemistry of it all so I ask a lot of questions also for the fun of it and to find out if there might be optional methods. In the name of science! Laughing

I'm pretty positive the solution would turn out to be miscible as it seems to be with most solvents, but I'm thinking that placing the product in a heat bath of 80-100C should theoretically also do the trick? Since cyclohexane has a boiling point of around 80C.

From what I've gathered, this will probably turn the product into a goo/sticky resin. However, if this solidifies when cooled I wouldn't actually mind that much! I think handling a solid chunk of DMT might be easier and also better for storage (?). Does it solidify?

Don't take it the wrong way that I made another post downwardsfromzero ! I just thought I would try using the FAQ section of the "Welcome area" for the first time and maybe get some more knowledge. You'r input is ofc greatly appreciated and did not go unnoticed Thumbs up

brokedownpalace10
#7 Posted : 9/16/2023 6:33:31 AM
DMT-Nexus member

What is this product brand? Are contaminates known in "Klean Strip"?

downwardsfromzero
#8 Posted : 9/23/2023 1:01:17 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Seems that methanol might be the ideal solvent for this clean up, toxicity notwithstanding - see here. Cyclohexane forms azeotropes with various other solvents, including acetone.

If DMT is suspected of contamination with cyclohexane, dissolve it in a little acetone. Using a waterbath, heat in a fumehood to about 60°C. With any luck the cyclohexane will distill off as the azeotrope with acetone at 53°C. Ideally this would be performed in the appropriate distillation glassware but a beaker and very good ventilation/outdoors might suffice. Do not breathe in the vapours. Avoid all possible sources of ignition.

Ethanol and isopropanol also form azeotropes with c-hex boiling at 69.5°C and 68.6°C respectively. One shouldn't fail to take into account the ternary azeotropes with water, alcohol and c-hex, boiling at 62.1°C and 64.3°C (or 66.1°C) respectively.

The other thing to bear in mind is that cyclohexane is of relatively low toxicity.

Kmk6891
#9 Posted : 10/12/2023 7:20:02 PM
DMT-Nexus member

someonesomehere wrote:
Hello!

I have some DMT that may or may not be contaminated by cyclohexane (I recently got help with a method to check this). My naptha has a cyclohexane content of 2% which does not crystallize in the freezer but may theoretically co-crytsallize with the DMT once extracted and put in the freezer.

So my question is, would the cyclohexane (if there is any) evaporate completely if I were to melt the DMT and let it sit for a while? This seems like an easy fix but chemistry is not always on your side... Maybe the cyclohexane would simply be stuck in the liquid DMT? I would assume the density of liquid DMT is higher than cyclohexane (0.7739 g/ml) and that it would float on top until eventually evaporated.

Why do you think it's contaminated? Did you vape some and have a bad experience? What was it like? I only ask because I vaped some fresh extract last night and instantly felt very nauseous, to the extent that I couldn't wait for the trip to end . It's no fun feeling like your going to vomit from the very start of trip. So I'm just curious.
Thanks

someonesomehere
#10 Posted : 10/23/2023 2:24:27 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Kmk6891 wrote:
someonesomehere wrote:
Hello!

Why do you think it's contaminated? Did you vape some and have a bad experience? What was it like? I only ask because I vaped some fresh extract last night and instantly felt very nauseous, to the extent that I couldn't wait for the trip to end . It's no fun feeling like your going to vomit from the very start of trip. So I'm just curious.
Thanks

I haven't actually tried it personally yet so I cannot speak for that, but none of my friends have shown nausea yet. The reason I worried was because of the smell, it was quite strong. My solution was to just let the crystals sit for a very long time, and later when I made changa I think any remaining solvent vaporized when I heated the mixture.

If I were you I'd do an experiment. Put some your DMT in a heat bath around 90C and stir for a while, then all the remaining solvent should 99% be gone. It will change consistency and shape but you just smoke it as usual and potency should not be worse. Then just compare the first batch to the new one, if you don't feel sick, it was probably solvent.

Have you done water baths? Might be some small amounts of leftover base in your product too.

downwardsfromzero
#11 Posted : 10/25/2023 3:23:13 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Dissolving in ethanol and boiling it off again will be more effective than melting crystals and stirring the melt. That's assuming DMT and c-hex even co-crystallise. Far more likely they'd form a eutectic that is liquid at the melting point of pure c-hex.

Regarding nausea, I think it's worth reading this section of the wikipedia entry: https://en.wikipedia.org...i/Nausea#Pathophysiology

Even pure DMT can elicit nausea sometimes.