We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
The Chapel of Sacred Mirrors Options

Fluorescent Leaf
#1 Posted : 7/2/2023 4:40:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi DMT Nexus Community!

A few of you mentioned the Chapel of Sacred Mirrors, owned by Alex Grey and Allyson Grey. They just re-opened their doors a month ago. Finally! There's no other place like CoSM. Years ago, I wrote a paper about CoSM for a college class - the class was about drugs. Awesome! I never finished the paper, and therefore, I got an A minus. Radical! I want to share excerpts from a printout of my paper I have here in front of me to help folks who have never been to CoSM understand it in greater detail, and hopefully, you'll make the trip out there, if you haven't been yet! (That sounds like exploration of space, lol!).

Here goes:

"We Take Sacrament Sacramentally"

"The Chapel of Sacred Mirrors, lovingly called CoSM, is a transdenominational church of visionary art and a spiritual community center nestled in Wappingers Falls, a small town in the Hudson Valley. CoSM's mission is "to build an enduring sanctuary of visionary art", and one of its 5 core values is "to build community that bridges creativity and spirituality". CoSM provides an outstanding exhibition, open to the public, of the visionary artworks of Alex and Allyson Grey, CoSM's founders. It is supported solely by charitable donations."

"The main house has an extensive library of books on mysticism and the arts, The Mushroom Cafe, CoSM Shop (it's a gift shop that sells psychedelic clothing, jewelry, and posters), a classroom, private rooms, continental breakfast, and other amenities available for overnight guests and day-visitors. Outdoors, CoSM offers 40 acres of wooded grounds to explore, filled with hiking trails, and large art installations of an impressive stature. Many guests are seeking an escape from the city, and travel to CoSM to relax in the tranquil beauty of nature."

"Other guests come to CoSM for the different events that are offered. One of such is Art Church, which is a artistic exercise, as a group, offered on Sundays. A variety of different workshops draw in guests; the topics range from mycology to permaculture. On the Saturday closest to the full moon of each month, full-moon gatherings are held that feature psyrtrance DJ's and dancing, an outdoor bonfire, face-painting, fire-spinners, belly-dancing, acrobatics, and tarot card readings; and then, it all ends at 1 o'clock in the morning with a group howl at the moon. The Vernal Equinox, Autumnal Equinox, Summer Solstice, and Winter Solstice draw in even larger numbers of guests than the monthly full moons."

Then, I mentioned some personal things in a few paragraphs. I don't want to include anything that would give away my identity here, so I'm going to jump to the end of the paper. I ended the paper with a list:

"Safety Tips for CoSM Newcomers"

"Based on my personal experience and ethnographic observations, here are some individual safety recommendations for first-timers at CoSM:

1. Be careful and choose your words carefully.
2. Don't bring alcohol. The security guards check bags for alcohol. Alcohol is taboo at CoSM.
3. Don't ask staff members for psychedelics or where you can get psychedelics.
4. If you want to become a staff member, remember that you have to be hired from the inside. In other words, you have to be hand-selected by someone who is already working there.
5. Leave promptly when the events are over. Don't stick around.
6. If you want to be a day-visitor, remember that CoSM is only open Friday through Monday. Don't show up on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays - CoSM is closed, and the staff needs time to unwind.
7. Psychedelics/entheogens/sacraments are talked about openly and frequently at CoSM, but do not confuse this with thinking that the Greys want you to take these sacred substances on their property. They have repeatedly said in many speeches, "We don't want you doing it here"."

So, that was the bulk of my paper...and it was alot of fun writing it. Lastly, I want to add that this was years ago, before CoSM temporarily shut down (for 3 years!). Now that creative engine is back up and running, better than before, with tours of Entheon being offered. A number of upcoming events were recently added to the calendar, with tickets going fast. To say the least, the Greys have worked very hard. They're amazing human beings, and CoSM is an incredible place.

I would love to hear your thoughts about the Chapel of Sacred Mirrors (new and improved!).

Fluorescent Leaf

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.