We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Harmala freebase storage Options

Rush56
#1 Posted : 6/29/2023 6:46:33 PM
Ruzhxy

Hi.

Can i store my freebase in freezer? From what i have found, harmala fb is supposed to have a long shelf life, however i noticed that some i have for about 2 yrs turned a bit darker, also a batch which i separated and is supposed to be mostly harmaline also has the same color. I have this batch of harmaline for about a year in a drawer since extracting. The rest after a year seems fine, but the rest are also almost fully loaded jars, while the two that has darkened are not. Maybe because of that some air was in there.
Since i'm about to put some dmt fb in freezer, because i extracted more then i need now, i decided to put those jars of harmalas fb also in the freezer, because i probably wont need it for long time.

Would it hurt? They are in small glass airtight containers and I've also put them in another plastic container and wrapped with strech foil, so no moisture would come in.

Just wanted to make sure, because when i was extracting harmalas i got quite a big amount of it and would not want it to go bad. Probably i have enough for life Smile

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

downwardsfromzero
#2 Posted : 6/29/2023 11:05:07 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Well-sealed containers with silica gel moisture absorbers may be desirable, if only to minimise the formation of ice crystals inside the container which will subsequently melt and make things damp while the container warms up to room temperature before you open it. Seeing as you mention the possible role of oxygen in this, you might want to consider using an oxygen absorber or an inert atmosphere as well.

FWIW, recently I found a small foil packet of harmala FB which had been stored at room temperature for a year and it works just fine intranasally. Was the appearance of the material any darker? Maybe a tiny bit. And I think some of the darkening will come from minor impurities anyhow, based on a recent mention in a thread of ultrapure harmalas re-x'd from various solvents.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Rush56
#3 Posted : 6/30/2023 6:44:53 AM
Ruzhxy

downwardsfromzero wrote:
Well-sealed containers with silica gel moisture absorbers may be desirable, if only to minimise the formation of ice crystals inside the container which will subsequently melt and make things damp while the container warms up to room temperature before you open it. Seeing as you mention the possible role of oxygen in this, you might want to consider using an oxygen absorber or an inert atmosphere as well.

FWIW, recently I found a small foil packet of harmala FB which had been stored at room temperature for a year and it works just fine intranasally. Was the appearance of the material any darker? Maybe a tiny bit. And I think some of the darkening will come from minor impurities anyhow, based on a recent mention in a thread of ultrapure harmalas re-x'd from various solvents.

These glass jars are really small, so i could not fit any packets in there. These are like 40mm in height and 30mm diameter.

So you think ice crystals would form in there, if i put it in freezer? What do you suggest then? What about fridge?

Ive seen many posts for dmt fb being stored in freezer with no problems, only thing people mention is that containers must get warmed to room temperature after taken out of freezer. Why do you think with harmalas there would have been a problem?

I dont think there is much moisture in them, maybe in these 2 containers that has darkened, as i noticed the extract clamped up a bit after all this time. Unless there is some other reason for that, like some kind of oxidasion.

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 7/1/2023 6:31:50 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

If you open a jar that is at freezer temperature, water condenses into it no matter what, unless you're using some kind of controlled atmosphere. It really is better to let the jars warm up to room temperature before opening.

A good option might be to put the small jars in a bigger sealed container along with some silica gel packets.

Getting condensation in your product is best avoided; at the very least, it can lead to inaccuracies in dosing. Presence of moisture is likely to lead to increased levels of oxidation in storage too.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli