We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Isolation tank Options

rOm
#1 Posted : 2/22/2010 4:24:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Wiki:

An isolation tank is a lightless, soundproof tank in which subjects float in salinated water at skin temperature. They were first used by John C. Lilly in 1954 in order to test the effects of sensory deprivation. Such tanks are now also used for meditation and relaxation and in alternative medicine. Isolation tanks were originally called sensory deprivation tanks. Other synonyms for isolation tank include float tank, floating tank, floater tank, flotation tank, REST tank, flotation baths, John C. Lilly tank and sensory attenuation tank.

After experiencing different settings such as the tree hanging hammock, I came to the conclusion that of my next wish for such an encounter would be the isolation tank...
Anyone experienced with it ?
rOm attached the following image(s):
superstock_158-308a_b~Man-Floating-in-an-Isolation-Tank-Posters.jpg (12kb) downloaded 357 time(s).
Smell like tea n,n spirit !

Toke the toke, and walk the walk !

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Big Inhale
#2 Posted : 2/28/2010 8:36:34 PM

The Enlightend One

I know Joe Rogan gave his old one away then piaid for setup and shippingfor whoever won it. I know it takes a lot of salt somewhere in the hundreds of pounds range. Probably cheaper to build your own.
Can you Imagine? From one single Idea everything appeared here.
RZA

Here in the Prime Creators universe all things are possible,because all things are possible many lessons are learned.

None Of This Is Real!

#3 Posted : 2/28/2010 9:15:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

They sound really interesting to me. There is a place near me that has a few tanks which you can use by the hour, so I am going to have a go in the next couple of weeks and will report back!
Oh great - the world has just been replaced by elf machinery.
Sic transit gloria mundi

rOm
#4 Posted : 2/28/2010 9:52:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It is possible to build your own..
1664 (Do you like that beer ?), is the place you're speaking about in london ? If so could you tell me where is it.

#5 Posted : 2/28/2010 10:00:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

rOm wrote:
1664 (Do you like that beer ?), is the place you're speaking about in london ? If so could you tell me where is it.

haha, not particularly, I just happened to be drinking one when I joined the Nexus!

It is at London Bridge, inbetween Borough and Ldn Bridge tubes
floatworks
location map

Looks like it is £40 / hour. Not cheap, but I don't know anywhere else that does it. If you do go, be sure to let me know what it's like.
Sic transit gloria mundi

SnozzleBerry
#6 Posted : 2/28/2010 10:56:07 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

rOm wrote:

Yes, yes it is, but good luck finding the specs. I actually decided about two weeks ago that I will be building one when I get situated in an appropriate house. It's a real simple concept...basically it's just a bathtub that is in an enclosure so as to block out all external light and uses a large aquarium heater and pump to heat/recirculate a large quantity of water in which you jack up the salinity with large quantities of salt/epsom salt/etc...I gotta run out for a moment but i'll check later to see if I can find the sites I was looking at the other day with suggested equipment and the like.

SB
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

ragabr
#7 Posted : 3/1/2010 12:39:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Here's one set of plans I have. Also, Lilly's book The Deep Self has plans in it.
PK Dick is to LSD as HP Lovecraft is to Mushrooms

SnozzleBerry
#8 Posted : 3/1/2010 3:11:27 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

THANK YOU RAGABR! I've been lookin for something like that for the last two weeks...hmmmm, it looks really straightforward and less pricey than the materials i was planning on using. I might say screw waiting for the "right" house and build one of these babies after I move...what an awesome summer project THAT would be!
WikiAttitudeFAQ
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

ragabr
#9 Posted : 3/1/2010 4:06:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I might commit to building one with you; depends on what resources look like when the time comes. Remind me when you get the itch!

OriginalFace
#10 Posted : 3/2/2010 2:23:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Yes, yes it is, but good luck finding the specs. I actually decided about two weeks ago that I will be building one when I get situated in an appropriate house. It's a real simple concept...basically it's just a bathtub that is in an enclosure so as to block out all external light and uses a large aquarium heater and pump to heat/recirculate a large quantity of water in which you jack up the salinity with large quantities of salt/epsom salt/etc...I gotta run out for a moment but i'll check later to see if I can find the sites I was looking at the other day with suggested equipment and the like.

The most important part of buiding a tank is the issue of sound isolation.

The sound of the circulating pump and the air circulating fan must be attenuated. This can be accomplished using baffles for the air and by turning off the filter circulation while in use. The hardest part is isolating bass (low) frequencies, especially if you are located in an urban area; the sound of truck wheel bearings are annoying even when the truck is miles away!

Temperature control must be within 0.1 degrees or your parked body will experience hot and cold distractions.

The best plans I have seen are provided in Lilly's book, "The Deep Self", as allready mentioned.

Remember "isolation tank" has no "p" in it; keep it that waySmile

OF

I want to be happy,
But I can't be happy,
'till I make you happy, too Pleased

In the province of the mind, there are no limits.

SnozzleBerry
#11 Posted : 3/2/2010 1:12:24 PM

omnia sunt communia!

well, thermostatic regulation of temperature takes nothing more than a temperature controlled feedback switch for the heater. As for sound, I really have a hard time believing thats gonna be an issue as I've lived in/have a family house in DC (right off Connecticut Ave) all my life and can tell you, when im fully submerged in the bathtub, I can't hear anything from the outside world. If it does prove to be an issue, the specs posted totally allow for the adition of egg-crate or other sound-proofing materials...doesn't seem like a big issue.

SB
WikiAttitudeFAQ
גם זה יעבור

ragabr
#12 Posted : 3/2/2010 2:18:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

In one of his books, Lilly talks about having dolphins mic'ed into his isolation tank, and how they would sing into existence these hyperdelic landscapes for him to explore. Crazy guy, he had one of the first DARPA-net connected computers, and they took it away from him because he kept getting it too close to the dolphin tank.

SnozzleBerry
#13 Posted : 3/2/2010 2:29:17 PM

omnia sunt communia!

ragabr wrote:
In one of his books, Lilly talks about having dolphins mic'ed into his isolation tank, and how they would sing into existence these hyperdelic landscapes for him to explore. Crazy guy, he had one of the first DARPA-net connected computers, and they took it away from him because he kept getting it too close to the dolphin tank.

LMFAO, wow that's awesome. Yea, the other part of the whole soundproofing thing is that I've got so many extra speakers laying around my house, i'm pretty much gonna be compelled to rig up a sound system to my isolation tank...i rarely trip in silence, why should i change that just cuz i'm floating in a tank? Ambient nature sounds would probably be cool to pump in too, probly not as conducive to forming hyperdelic landscapes, but hey, I'm sure there are plenty of dolphin and whale song recordings available.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
גם זה יעבור

#14 Posted : 3/4/2010 12:50:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

So I went to a place near me to try a float tank tonight. There were good and bad aspects to the experience. The bad was that the place was more of a rich wives spa, but I am not sure there is anywhere in the UK that bills itself as an "isolation chamber" or similar. This meant I had to request no music (which got a surprised look!) and I also had to remove the bulb from a downlight outside the tank before I got total darkness. (there was no switch!)

The good was the experience itself. The initial feeling of floating is bizarre. The water has the same viscosity and feel as normal water, it is almost as if you are a giant magnet with the floor as the same pole which repells you.

I had had a very busy day, and needed to rush to get to the place on time for my booking. This meant it took me ages to relax fully. I'd say it was nearly an hour before my mind stopped "chattering" and I actually began to immerse myself in the experience. There were no visions, or anything of a psychadelic nature at all. The last 1/2 hour was simply spent in a state of total relaxation and calm, and went by in what felt like 5 mins.

I came away from it feeling MUCH better than when I went in, totally revived and in a good state of mind. I have also ben suffering from a bad back, which seems alleviated since. I am not sure what I was expecting, but it didn't affect me like I thought it might. Maybe if you are good at meditating you would get more from it.

I very rarely smoke weed, but if I go again, I might smoke a little bit before. It would also be incredible on shrooms, if you are of strong disposition. IMHO I dont think I will get a great deal from this on its own, but like McKenna suggests, these things should be used in combination with other things. That way it has the potential to be very powerful.

My conclusion to anyone wanting to try it would be don't expect too much and to try and quiet your mind before you go in. It is well worth a look, and I will be going again, armed with a spliff Wink
Sic transit gloria mundi

69ron
#15 Posted : 3/4/2010 1:10:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The whole idea of being in such a tiny thing would ruin the experience for me. I would not be able to ignore the fact that I’m inside a tiny tank. It would bother me a lot. I think a better “isolation tank” for me is a completely dark room that’s sound proof with a bed for you to lay on that’s comfy. I can more easily lose contact with everything that way. But in water, in a tank, no, I wouldn’t be able to get my mind off the fact that I’m inside a contraption with little room to move around.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

#16 Posted : 3/4/2010 1:32:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The one I used was about 3.5m long, 2m wide, and 2m high. It was more of an isolation room, I suppose, and you could walk in and out of it. I could actually float slowly from one side to the other, and rotate myself in the tank. It was really disorientating when I came to get out, as I didn't know which way I was pointing.

The health spa places are well aware of that concern Ron, hence why they brand them "floatation rooms" or similar, and spend a lot of money on decor etc. It is actually a very pleasant environment. I know what you mean though, some of the pictures I have seen of other ones look more like coffins than somewhere I'd want to relax!
Sic transit gloria mundi

Felnik
#17 Posted : 3/4/2010 5:11:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I did oral spice and rue combo in a float tank once. The tank by itself is incredible enough but add the spice to it and takes on a whole other level. I think it has unbelievable potential . I would love to build one.
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke

http://vimeo.com/32001208

rOm
#18 Posted : 3/4/2010 8:14:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

1664 wrote:

I very rarely smoke weed, but if I go again, I might smoke a little bit before. It would also be incredible on shrooms, if you are of strong disposition. IMHO I dont think I will get a great deal from this on its own, but like McKenna suggests, these things should be used in combination with other things. That way it has the potential to be very powerful.

My conclusion to anyone wanting to try it would be don't expect too much and to try and quiet your mind before you go in. It is well worth a look, and I will be going again, armed with a spliff Wink

The point here is to experience the isolation state in combination with ethnobotanicals or visionary psychoactive.
pharmahuasca seems a good one though!

rOm
#19 Posted : 3/4/2010 8:16:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

An isolation room is even better !! What's the name of this spa 1664 ? I'm planning to go to london this summer, I'd love to try it !!