We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Vaping DMT - choosing the right coil Options

HardTripper
#1 Posted : 4/26/2023 4:27:26 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hi, after almost one year searching for the perfect vaping method, i found that nobody cares about the coil type used in their atoms, or at least nobody says about it.
Point is almost no one uses preheat, while in my experience makes a HUGE difference between 10s on a cold coil/liquid and the 10s immediately after: in my most extreme cases i got bland visual trip first and breakthrough on the 2nd one.
So after some research i found this article:
https://vaping360.com/learn/clapton-alien-coils/
basically it says that there are coils suitable for better flavour while having slower ramp-up (preheat) time and viceversa.
Another thing i found is that a higher resistance coil will preheat faster than a lower one while using same wattage as long as both are suitable for that wattage.
Then ive checked coils im using and realized i have almost worst setup possible. im using 0,14ohm staggered.
Staggered coils are for flavour while having slow rampup time. 0,14ohm its a resistance used for high wattages while im using it at 25-35W, so im in the lower part of its power range.
Now i want to buy new coils of the fastest rampup type, and with higher resistance, in order to stay in the upper part of its power range (max 40w).
Can someone help me to choose the right one? i intend prebuilt coils, those i find easily on aliexpress. thanks

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

HardTripper
#2 Posted : 5/31/2023 1:56:43 AM
DMT-Nexus member

So, ive bought some coils and made some dry tests to see how much time it takes to become red. Then i've decided to use the 0.5ohm single wire coil as heating area wasnt so small like on 0.6. it heats in around 5s at 25w. Just to compare, the 0.14ohm coil ive using before took 2x10s to become red. Once installed, it heats, and become fully effective, after around 1,5s, meaning preheat and power difference between a cold and hot coil its almost nothing. I must say its definitely a gamechanger for me! But i must also say im little disappointed as i can confirm what ive already said above: no one cares about coils, and i bet most of dmt vapers installs the first coil they find... hope this thread will help

josboaz
#3 Posted : 5/31/2023 3:55:55 PM
DMT-Nexus member

HardTripper wrote:
in my most extreme cases i got bland visual trip first and breakthrough on the 2nd one.

What does that mean? you needed to take two hits before you had a breakthrough?
And that was an extreme case, which means normally you would not have a breakthrough with 2 hits?

Y'all still on that multiple-hit level??

Read this post

HardTripper
#4 Posted : 6/1/2023 11:56:56 AM
DMT-Nexus member

josboaz wrote:
HardTripper wrote:
in my most extreme cases i got bland visual trip first and breakthrough on the 2nd one.

What does that mean? you needed to take two hits before you had a breakthrough?
And that was an extreme case, which means normally you would not have a breakthrough with 2 hits?

Y'all still on that multiple-hit level??

Read this post

I talk about inconsistency. On previous coil first 10s was weak because it was still cold while on the immediately later puff ive got a breakthrough. But this wasnt intentional of course. A normal behaviour should be that i decide power, puff lenght, and liquid concentration, and have a trip appropriate to these values regardless of the fact coil is preheated or not, and now with this new coil is possible while before wasnt.

PS: the 2x10s puff breakthrough doesnt mean both puffs was effective and summed its power, resulting in a breakthrough. The 0.5 coil im using now lets say has a heating surface area of โ€œ10โ€ so once properly powered delivers an amount of liquid equal to 10. It becomes effective in 1-2s so taking a 10s puff u have a 8-9 power. 10 if alteady preheated. The higher power difference in this case is 20%.
The 0.14 coil i was using before is far bigger so lets say has a โ€œ20โ€ heating surface area. Problem is on first puff it delivers 5 power because is still not properly heated, and on the immediately after u get power 20. Difference between 5 and 20 its huge and thats makes inconsistency and zero control on the trip, because u never know what will happen. Nothing or breakthrough.

HardTripper
#5 Posted : 7/29/2023 7:41:24 PM
DMT-Nexus member

i have an important update to what i said above. i dont said that everything was working ALMOST perfectly, bacause actually there was a little issue... I was always using TC and thought 190° was the boiling point of my liquid regardless of the coil im using. i mean water's boiling point its always 100° regardless of the recipient im using to boil it! However on this new coil, temperature was "bouncing" on the TC 216° limit i was using with previous coil. I ignored it as everything was working fine anyway. Then, at certain point of that's night party, it stopped working for unknown reasons and i realized that TC was activating almost immediately. i tried mesh atom and it worked in opposite way: mesh became red (fixed) while boxmod showed maybe 38° so no TC activation. Thought my boxmod was broken. then after some thinking i tried to switch to power mode, and EUREKA (at least at the beginning). Everything was working fine for maybe 3-4 tokes and i thought its time to abandon TC mode once and for all, as i finally unlocked full potential of my gear! the last toke however didnt worked but i dont cared so much as i thought im tired (party was ending), wick its almost clogged, its all for today. Next party will be the bigger ever!
I have to add a thing here. meanwhile ive realized what screwed TC mode: it was the lock coil setting. once disabled it worked again.
So first lesson is: AVOID LOCKING COIL WHEN POSSIBLE, AT LEAST ON SS316L COILS/MESH!!!
So let's talk of the next (most epic fail) party. I wicked everyting perfectly, prepared new liquid, this time 1:5 instead of 1:4 as now ill "have more power", and started it! First toke was weak, 2nd was almost fine, 3rd was weaker, from 4th always 0. Spent all night to find the solution, i also rewicked everything from scratch, nothing!
here's more details what happened after:
https://www.dmt-nexus.me...1209901&#post1209901

Then after one week of researching and countless failed attempts i thought "and if im burning the spice? what if i enable TC again"?. I enabled it and everything became colorful again! So ive made further researches and found that the temperature showed on the boxmod isnt the boiling point but the vapour temperature, and its not the same as I also found that while water's boiling point it's 100° it doesnt mean steam cant reach far higher temperatures. It can! So 190° was the stable temperature of my previous setup but it changes if u change coil. Problem is if that temperature its too high, dmt will burn!
So lesson number two: saying power mode its always better than TC once u wick everything properly and u keep wick always soaked its FALSE
lesson number three: saying that dmt boiling/burning point raises when dissolved in pg/vg it partially true. once u reach a certain point it will burn anyway!

Ive made further tests and first i lowered TC to 200° thinking that maybe at 216 im already burning some spice but ive got almost zero trip. so i raised to 230 and got better trip than on 216. ive also tried to setup tc at max just to see which temperature it reaches. it was almost 270, however i was not toking so no airflow. Next ill try to raise tc 10° at a time to see which is the most effective point before burning. i will also back to 1:4 and raise PG to 80% in order to lower boiling point. and ill try 0.42 clapton coils ive never used as i thought 0.5 are perfect. and another lesson is: using a coil thats fully efficient in dmt vaping range (usually 25-40w) its wrong too as it will burn spice. while a coil far from its effective range while create a huge inconsistency. ill make further tests and post it here. My research to the perfect dmt vaping continues :-)