We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
E-Mesh Temperature Measurement Options

CloudyDays
#1 Posted : 3/24/2023 5:04:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have been trying to measure the temperature of the stainless mesh in my e-mesh setup. I think I am now getting some reasonable values and thought others might be interested in the results.

Setup
Mod box: Aegis Mini, set to 12 to 14 W
Atomizer: Wotofo Profile 1.5 equipped with a double SS e-mesh, the air holes half open
Two Type K thermocouples, one between meshes, one in the air tube
No spice

The data were collected with an Arduino microcontroller at a rate of about 6 reading per second. That seemed fast enough to capture the quick rise time.

Initially, the mesh thermocouple wire was routed down through the drip tip, and touched the underside of the mesh. This gave inconsistent and low temperature readings. What worked much better was to use two meshes (like Starway7 in this post) and sandwich the TC between them. This is shown in one of the pictures below.

I hit the fire button for the full 10 s without any air flow to see how high the temperature would go. The first chart shows these temperatures for three powers: 12, 13 and 14 W. At 12 W, the max temperature was 482 C and at 14 W it was 529C.

The second chart shows the first derivative of the temperature, which is the heat up rate. At 14 W, the mesh heats as fast at 100 °C/s. Remarkable. There is an interesting peak at about t = 20 s when the mod box shuts off. That was unexpected. The mesh cools down as fast at 70 °C/s.

I have also measured the temperature with air flow which I will post shortly.
CloudyDays attached the following image(s):
Fig1_Setup.jpg (2,712kb) downloaded 68 time(s).
Fig2mesh.jpg (958kb) downloaded 68 time(s).
Fig3meshTemp.jpg (55kb) downloaded 68 time(s).
Fig4meshHeatRate.jpg (56kb) downloaded 68 time(s).

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Loveall
#2 Posted : 3/24/2023 8:59:57 AM

❤️‍🔥

Chemical expertSenior Member

I'd be interested to see how things look when using temp control mode for temp vs. time.
💚🌵💚 Mescaline CIELO TEK 💚🌵💚
💚🌳💚DMT salt e-juice HIELO TEK💚🌳💚
💚🍃💚 Salvinorin Chilled Acetone with IPA and Naphtha re-X TEK💚🍃💚

starway7
#3 Posted : 3/24/2023 7:36:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If your talking about ..conduction E mesh...It will reach and exceed the desired temperature..[and

deliver a huge cloud...but unless its ..a very very accurate...temperature control mod........
...[witch most cheaper mods are not ].... it usually goes over the set temperature.. and burns a

percentage of the product...[almost every time]!!

this fact has been learned some time back by others on nexus who found it hard to control the fast riseing temperature of the red hot mesh..

I.. as many others have tryed ..conduction E mesh... for quite a while and got tired of burning the product......Thats why im sold on convection vaping..

If you ever experiance quality convection vapor...you will see..feel..and experiance ...the difference..

[compaire the two...]

ultra fast ..conduction vapor....i guess some people like the ..[shot out of a canon experiance]...into unforgiving hyperspace...Shocked

or ..[convection vapor]... more gentle ..but effective cleaner tasting come up... ..[on lower doses]... little to no anxiety...more positive experiance...Thumbs up

CloudyDays
#4 Posted : 3/24/2023 9:22:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey, Loveall, my experience with temp control is similar to Starway7’s. It just doesn’t seem to work very well. But I would like to quantify it. I will take some data in the next day or two.

CloudyDays
#5 Posted : 3/24/2023 9:36:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Below are plots of mesh temperature and air temperature at several different air flow rates. These were collected in power mode at 12 W. For my lungs, a 10 s draw is at about 8 liters per minute.

The mesh temperatures are lower than I expected, based on other things I have seen on the DMT Nexus

For the two higher flow rates of 12 and 15 lpm, I ran out of lung capacity before the mod box shut off, so there is a jump in temperature at that point, even though I released the fire button at that time. Otherwise you can see a clear inverse relationship between air flow rate and temperature.

Fig11.jpg (73kb) downloaded 40 time(s).
Fig12.jpg (71kb) downloaded 40 time(s).
Fig13.jpg (161kb) downloaded 40 time(s).

CloudyDays
#6 Posted : 3/24/2023 9:39:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I also collected the same data at 14 W.
Fig14.jpg (74kb) downloaded 39 time(s).
Fig15.jpg (72kb) downloaded 39 time(s).
Fig16.jpg (163kb) downloaded 39 time(s).

CloudyDays
#7 Posted : 3/25/2023 3:16:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I took some mesh temperature measurements under temperature control. I got very poor results.

Aegis Mini
Mesh: Stainless 304 (double mesh)
Resistance: 0.16 ohms
TCR: 105
Air flow rate: 8 lpm

For the first test, I set the target temperature at 200 C and the max power to 20 W. The mesh couldn’t reach 200 C, so I upped the power to 30 W and then 40 W. None of the results were anywhere near 200 C. See first chart.

Even if using TCR for temperature control was viable, which I doubt, it is very unlikely the vendor tuned the PID parameters with an e-mesh in mind. They probably did their tuning on a system consisting of a mesh and a cotton wad saturated with e-juice. That would be a much more sluggish system than a mesh alone.

The second graph shows the air temperature just past the drip tip. Quite hot for the case with a 40 W max power.
Fig17.jpg (76kb) downloaded 36 time(s).
Fig18.jpg (63kb) downloaded 36 time(s).