We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Heptane vs naphtha Options

Timmyt
#1 Posted : 3/23/2023 2:49:56 AM

Timmyt

So I've done off lab grade naphtha and lab grade heptane. I like the naphtha. I know people say it better with heptane but I did better with naphtha. My first pull was room temp naphtha and it came out like clear crystals no yellow. My 2 and 3 pulls came out yellow but dried bage. But that's was with naphtha. The heptane all came out yellow and I had to wash it to get some darker out. Its mabey my mistake. But I did everything the same. I don't know if the spice is different will find out later. It might also be the lab grade naphtha. Mabey it's more pure . But this is a beginner talking so until I get more batches under my belt. Stick to the recipe. So if your a beginner stick to the recipe 🤔 later when I get good at it then try improvise. But that's just my thoughts. If your in a pinch it does work like naphtha. And you will get your spice.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Toshido
#2 Posted : 3/23/2023 4:00:12 AM

Research & Development

Naphtha pulls a wider range of plant alkaloids from whatever root bark is being used. You will generally get more lipids, fats, oils, etc from the bark when using naphtha, this will create more yellow dmt crystals (during crystallization) with some brownish goo on the bottom that some people call jungle spice or polymorphs (chains of dmt).

I currently use naphtha for my extractions. I have used heptane for extractions as well with similar results, but it pulls cleaner DMT. It is for this reason that most people use heptane strictly for Recrystallization, which is what I do.

So....

Naphtha for Extraction.
Heptane for Recrystallization.

At least, that is what I've gathered during my time here.

You could also use Toulene or Xylene although I hear they smell worse, or you can use D-Limonene which is a citrus smelling solvent. Something I'm highly interested in trying at some point.
🌳👨‍🔬🌳 - My A/B Hot Plate TEK - 🌳👨‍🔬🌳
🍜🍜🍜 - Don't Heat Your Naphtha, Heat Your Soup! - 🍜🍜🍜
✴✴✴ - White Spice vs Yellow Spice - 🌟🌟🌟
"You are an explorer, and you represent our species, and the greatest good you can do is to bring back a new idea, because our world is endangered by the absence of good ideas. Our world is in crisis because of the absence of consciousness." - Terence McKenna
🙌 "Dang, that's really impressive for a first extraction. Those xtals are nicely resolved." - Benzyme 🙌

Toshido
#3 Posted : 3/23/2023 5:50:04 AM

Research & Development

DMT Lexus wrote:
I had it very white with heptane. I do with heptane everything now, making pulls and re-x if I need as well. It works perfect in both ways for me, so my choice is heptane definitely. Naphtha is more toxic since it has hexane in it mostly. Hexane is very toxic for nervous system.
Crystals with heptane are absolutely white and crispy and I had 2.05% yield with it so I am satisfied.

I've read on the MSDS of Naphtha that it's toxic for the nervous system, but is there anymore literature I can read up on concerning that? I certainly don't want to ruin my brain from accidental contact.
"You are an explorer, and you represent our species, and the greatest good you can do is to bring back a new idea, because our world is endangered by the absence of good ideas. Our world is in crisis because of the absence of consciousness." - Terence McKenna
🙌 "Dang, that's really impressive for a first extraction. Those xtals are nicely resolved." - Benzyme 🙌

Toshido
#4 Posted : 3/23/2023 5:37:07 PM

Research & Development

DMT Lexus wrote:

downwardsfromzero wrote:
Hexane is fairly nasty for an simple alkane due to a quirk of metabolism which turns it into something quite neurotoxic. Not as nasty as the infamous MPTP, but exposure should still be avoided.

There are a lot of info and researches about the topic:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7251182/
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr...ew/mmwrhtml/mm5045a3.htm

I also attach some pdf's here to read about it.
Overall any alkane solvents are not beneficial for health.
But heptane is about 8x less toxic than hexane and don't cause neuropathy as hexane does. And this is such a big difference.

I'm going to read up on this when I get home, thanks so much for taking the effort to dig this up for me.

Before I do I might as well ask (because I did a bunch of research on it yesterday and will most certainly have some soon) what are your thoughts on D-Limonene? I'm fine with using something safer on the senses even if it means a yield loss. I've read the MSDS and it obviously still is not good for your skin or for your respiratory system, but I didn't find any neurotoxicity associated with it. All I've discovered is that... it's expensive! Which makes sense considering a single orange peel yields something like 5-10ml with extraction.

Also, sorry to hijack the thread, but I felt the question pertinent enough to the subject, as these threads will most likely be dug up by future nexians via the search function.

miisfiit
#5 Posted : 3/27/2023 1:03:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi! Vm&p naptha contains heptane not hexane.https://www.chemcentral.com/media/product_attribute/sds_file/s/d/sds_file-70885.pdf

downwardsfromzero
#6 Posted : 3/29/2023 6:05:56 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

miisfiit wrote:
Hi! Vm&p naptha contains heptane not hexane.https://www.chemcentral.com/media/product_attribute/sds_file/s/d/sds_file-70885.pdf

True, hexane content of commercially available solvents is strongly controlled in many countries because of its neurotoxicity. Hexane is more or less restricted to industrial and laboratory usage.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli