We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Solventless rootbark extraction (!) Options

Stochastic
#1 Posted : 2/17/2023 8:34:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

A friend has developed a proprietary method for solventless extraction of "rosin" from kava root, which involves (among other steps) the application of hydraulic pressure. He insists that his method could be used for almost any botanical extraction, as long as the moisture content of the source material is below 65%.

Tomorrow, I plan to harvest some Acacia confusa rootbark, powder it in a wood chipper, and bring it to him to try extracting. If it works... well, you know.

My initial thought was that in an aqueous extraction, the alkaloids dissolve as protonated ionic DMTH+ — yet a solventless pressure extraction would perhaps force out the freebase, retaining the fixed + and - charges within the matrix of the roots.

Interested in any thoughts y'all might have about this.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Brennendes Wasser
#2 Posted : 2/17/2023 9:57:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

I think the consens is DMT is also present at physiological conditions in ionic state inside of the bark.

But I think for these hot pressing methods it would not matter, they seem to just liquify any kind of alkaloids and terpenes and press them out at increased temperature due to the high pressure.

I have no clue of this stuff, but I just knew people do it for cannabis. That would make me wonder if it the bark starting material compared to the flowers of weed would not be the problem here. First ones are strongly lignified, high crosslinking density and not really flexible at all. Can't really imagine that you could squeeze that material like a sponge.

But in case those Kava roots exhibit roughly the same morphology then maybe there is a chance?

Toshido
#3 Posted : 2/17/2023 9:36:24 PM

Research & Development

Stochastic wrote:
Tomorrow, I plan to harvest some Acacia confusa rootbark, powder it in a wood chipper, and bring it to him to try extracting. If it works... well, you know.

Very interested in the results, as it being successful would be akin to inventing a the first warp drive. In this case, a 1 step process from bark to freebase DMT.

We were joking about a 10 second extraction TEK the other day.

Let us know!
🌳👨‍🔬🌳 - My A/B Hot Plate TEK - 🌳👨‍🔬🌳
🍜🍜🍜 - Don't Heat Your Naphtha, Heat Your Soup! - 🍜🍜🍜
✴✴✴ - White Spice vs Yellow Spice - 🌟🌟🌟
"You are an explorer, and you represent our species, and the greatest good you can do is to bring back a new idea, because our world is endangered by the absence of good ideas. Our world is in crisis because of the absence of consciousness." - Terence McKenna
🙌 "Dang, that's really impressive for a first extraction. Those xtals are nicely resolved." - Benzyme 🙌

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 2/17/2023 11:50:09 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

I get the feeling that the important difference - which Brennendes Wasser already mentioned - is that DMT is in the ionic state in the MHRB. With kava and cannabis both we see that the actives are in an oily or resinous form and this is what allows them to be successfully extracted using pressure alone. I'd be very surprised to see this work unequivocally for MHRB. It seems likely that any oily material in the bark will come out, and this may or may not contain any DMT. I strongly suspect it would require further processing if the goal was something resembling an isolated form of DMT.

Still, it's an experiment and the whole point is that we don't know yet so I, too, am looking forward to hearing of the results.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli