We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Utilizing Stove Hood Vent for Venting A/B Options

Toshido
#1 Posted : 1/16/2023 10:02:52 PM

Research & Development

Before I continue, this is in no way a clandestine extraction. I simply want to know if this would be an awesome way to minimize smells from NaOH and N-Heptane (Bestine Thinner).

Gas line will be turned off. No flames needed for my process. I will be using a hot plate and magnetic stirrer.

I am covering my stove top with a flat foundation, and putting my hot plate and magnetic stirrer on top of that so that I can turn on my stove vent (above the stove) to ventilate any smells. As I do not want the smell (primarily my Heptane) to travel out of my kitchen or have me inhale it.

Main question is, is a fan sucking up air going to effect the natural evaporation process of my A/B in an open Erlenmeyer flask? Because I want to know if I should add more water (50ml) to account for that, as my measurements are precise.

Thank you. Please refer to my Tek if you need specifics.

My ATB Tek

One love.
🌳👨‍🔬🌳 - My A/B Hot Plate TEK - 🌳👨‍🔬🌳
🍜🍜🍜 - Don't Heat Your Naphtha, Heat Your Soup! - 🍜🍜🍜
✴✴✴ - White Spice vs Yellow Spice - 🌟🌟🌟
"You are an explorer, and you represent our species, and the greatest good you can do is to bring back a new idea, because our world is endangered by the absence of good ideas. Our world is in crisis because of the absence of consciousness." - Terence McKenna
🙌 "Dang, that's really impressive for a first extraction. Those xtals are nicely resolved." - Benzyme 🙌

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

downwardsfromzero
#2 Posted : 1/16/2023 11:18:28 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Evaporation of water from a flask, especially an Erlenmeyer, would be among the least of your worries. You would need to be certain that the cooker hood is safe for flammable solvents like heptane. Presumably it has a brushless motor?
And doesn't vent anywhere inopportune?

Using the pertinent data you could form the basis of a safety check by calculating the maximum vapour concentration of heptane that will pass through the cooker hood - something that's safer to slightly overestimate. Compare this with the explosive limits of heptane (which is what minimum or maximum concentration of it in air explodes when ignited - there is an upper as well as a lower limit and it is the lower one that is important here).

Relevant anecdote here is that back in the 1970's some guys in a pathology lab were evaporating ether from some faecal specimens, next to a fan in the ground floor window when some poor unfortunate soul chose to light a cigarette outside. Cue joke about the sh*t hitting the fan... True story though.

Fortunately, heptane is way less flammable than diethyl ether both in terms of volatility and the ignition temperature.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Toshido
#3 Posted : 1/17/2023 8:35:18 PM

Research & Development

downwardsfromzero wrote:
Evaporation of water from a flask, especially an Erlenmeyer, would be among the least of your worries. You would need to be certain that the cooker hood is safe for flammable solvents like heptane. Presumably it has a brushless motor?
And doesn't vent anywhere inopportune?

Using the pertinent data you could form the basis of a safety check by calculating the maximum vapour concentration of heptane that will pass through the cooker hood - something that's safer to slightly overestimate. Compare this with the explosive limits of heptane (which is what minimum or maximum concentration of it in air explodes when ignited - there is an upper as well as a lower limit and it is the lower one that is important here).

Relevant anecdote here is that back in the 1970's some guys in a pathology lab were evaporating ether from some faecal specimens, next to a fan in the ground floor window when some poor unfortunate soul chose to light a cigarette outside. Cue joke about the sh*t hitting the fan... True story though.

Fortunately, heptane is way less flammable than diethyl ether both in terms of volatility and the ignition temperature.

All I know is that it has a flash point of 20C. But I didn't think about the motor of the fan. That would worry me. Best I just move the set up to the living room where there is much more open space and to do my pulls. I can always open the sliding doors to outside, but since it's winter here, the cold air would just blow in. Thanks for your help!
"You are an explorer, and you represent our species, and the greatest good you can do is to bring back a new idea, because our world is endangered by the absence of good ideas. Our world is in crisis because of the absence of consciousness." - Terence McKenna
🙌 "Dang, that's really impressive for a first extraction. Those xtals are nicely resolved." - Benzyme 🙌

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 1/17/2023 9:09:37 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

You would be warming heptane above its flashpoint to get decent pulls, then. Do you have a garden, shed or garage?

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

Toshido
#5 Posted : 1/18/2023 2:34:43 AM

Research & Development

downwardsfromzero wrote:
You would be warming heptane above its flashpoint to get decent pulls, then. Do you have a garden, shed or garage?

If there are no flames present in my process, then I needed worry about the flash point do I?

Edit: Evap test complete. The bestine barely smells at all unless you give it a direct puff. Fans blowing around the room on low dissipate it to the extent that you can't smell it at all. Still, I'm glad I asked about the stove vent. Best not to mix fuel with unknown electrical sources that may be within a vent.

downwardsfromzero
#6 Posted : 1/18/2023 4:40:36 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

If it's cold and dry there is still a risk of ignition through electrostatic discharges. That would be pretty unlucky though!

There's a way of calculating whether your solvent will form a localised concentration that is capable of ignition (with reference to exceeding the lower explosive limit, LEL) by using the volume of the room, the (molar) amount of solvent, and the molar gas constant. It would also be prudent to consider the vapour density of heptane in case it accumulates at ground level, although that starts getting a bit more complicated.

The main thing is to ascertain that the amount of heptane that evaporates at the temperature of your extraction will not reach, say, 10% of the LEL when dispersed throughout the workspace. You could also do this with regards to the stove hood since it is desirable to vent the fumes externally rather than blowing them around your living space.

You can probably look up the specs of your stove hood fan and motor too.