We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Imagined sensations of smells and odors Options

Tomtegubbe
#1 Posted : 12/15/2022 3:16:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I wonder if anyone else has this. Beginning of this fall I've had almost daily thought sensations of smells that are not present. I went through covid two months back and this coincides with it but can't say for sure if it began before or after. I don't remember having had experiences like this on my trips, but since psychedelics famously increase activity between different brain areas I suspect that my psychedelics use has something to do with it. On a side note I lost my sense of smell on the first covid spring, didn't have any other symptoms, and regained it after a LSD trip which was great.

I would describe this as some very specific smells comes in to my mind and I remember exactly how it feels like and what it is associated with. This maybe for example some detergent or practically anything, not usually food. People going through prodromal symptoms of psychosis sometimes experience smell hallucinations which has creeped me, but I don't think these are exactly hallucinations, just vivid imagination. Vivid enough though that I usually do stop and think that could there be an external source for it.

It doesn't really bother me except for the novelty of these experiences. I suspect they will either pass or I'll stop paying attention to then I'll just regard them as normal as passing thoughts. I'd however like to hear if anyone has had anything similar or has any thoughts on the subject. Thank you!
My preferred method:
Very easy pharmahuasca recipe

My preferred introductory article:
Just a Wee Bit More About DMT, by Nick Sand

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

downwardsfromzero
#2 Posted : 12/15/2022 5:21:45 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

From what you describe, the thought that springs to mind is the possibility that there may be a residual action of viral protein that is affecting the function of your scent receptor neurons. As well, phantom smells may also be generated in response to scent-receptor die-off and their subsequent regeneration, I suspect. It could also be that a residual mild sinus infection can influence this phenomenon.

What would be the trigger to your imagining these specific smells, typically?

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

doubledog
#3 Posted : 12/15/2022 5:56:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes, I also had it after covid, so I believe it is a post covid symptom, when sense of smell (neuronal connections?) are being reconstructed.

Tomtegubbe
#4 Posted : 12/15/2022 6:13:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
From what you describe, the thought that springs to mind is the possibility that there may be a residual action of viral protein that is affecting the function of your scent receptor neurons. As well, phantom smells may also be generated in response to scent-receptor die-off and their subsequent regeneration, I suspect. It could also be that a residual mild sinus infection can influence this phenomenon.

What would be the trigger to your imagining these specific smells, typically?
Phantom smells! That is the term, thank you.

The idea of scent receptors being reconstructed sounds possible. It sounds quite rough though that this virus can damage those receptors, but seems like it's doing just that.

Thank you doubledog for reporting your experience!

Yeah, I believe now it's covid related. It's quite psychedelic though! 😄

Most of the time these seem purely random. Not related to what I'm doing or thinking. Sometimes it may be a smell that could be related to the environment and then pay attention to whether it's
there or not. One time I remember there being a strange presentient kind of sensation of some place or environment that the other person started talking a little after I had had the sensation. Can't remember for life what it was, because it really wasn't anything remarkable. I think it was about some chemical.

Thank you! This bothers me less now.
My preferred method:

Tomtegubbe
#5 Posted : 12/15/2022 6:23:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well, the connection to psychedelics is probably that I am pretty used to having sensations of things that are not there so this feature hasn't really been affecting my quality of life 😄
My preferred method:

doubledog
#6 Posted : 12/15/2022 7:01:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I agree, it is quite similar to some moments during psychedelic experience (especially mushrooms), when some smell sensation becomes very pronounced.
Actually, I really liked it.

downwardsfromzero
#7 Posted : 12/15/2022 7:50:29 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

I've had a particularly memorable synaesthesia some years ago while watching the cricket on TV one Sunday morning having taken some LSD. The timbre of the commentator's voice tasted like the smell of isopropanol and was shaped like spiky, mirror-smooth, pale metallic blue water.

I've also had phantom smells as a result of some sinus problems. My version was that I'd get 'odour lock' so if I ate something with a slightly unusual flavour it would stick with me for most of the day or until I encountered another strongly-scented material. Curiously enough, Syrian rue has always helped with this and I strongly suspect it has something to do with its neuroregenerative properties.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli