We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Different solvents to extract dmt? Options

Nailheadjake
#1 Posted : 11/19/2022 9:42:58 AM

GarkMAUL

Has any one used any other solvents besides napitha. Would toluol work or something like ethylene dichloride? Just curious if one has a better yield when extracting dmt.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 11/19/2022 10:05:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello,

Yes, you can use other solvents, but not every solvent. Toluol/toluene will dissolve DMT very well, but also other impurities from the plant, and you won´t be able to do a freeze precipitation so you will have to evaporate it.

It smells pretty strong when evaporating so make sure you can do it outside or in a very well ventilated area, please don´t breathe those fumes. Also you will end up with a reddish oil instead of crystals due to it dissolving other impurities. If you dont mind those mentioned things, the oil is active, mostly containing DMT, but being an oil might be harder to weigh and manage in general.

ethylene dichloride I have no experience with but it is probably not a good idea to use for several reasons. It is slightly soluble in water, so you can both lose some of it to the water or also it might carry some of the basic solution together with it which would not be wanted. Also, it is a halogenated solvent so it might react with DMT to form an inactive compound if you arent very quick. I dont know the solubility of DMT and other impurities in it either. Id avoid that.

Also, this is relevant:
https://wiki.dmt-nexus.m....2Fchemical_OK_to_use.3F

doubledog
#3 Posted : 11/19/2022 10:09:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Toluene is better solvent with higher yields (it dissolves also the yellow/brown dmt fraction), but freeze precipitation can not be performed with it, solubility of dmt fb in toluene is too high.
Ethylene chloride is most likely also good choice of solvent, although I have no experience with it.

DarkShaman
#4 Posted : 11/20/2022 12:55:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Heptane is cleaner than naphtha, plus it's great for rinse & recrystalization. Someone once told me that petroleum ether works great too.

Nailheadjake
#5 Posted : 11/20/2022 6:33:57 PM

GarkMAUL

Thank you all for the advice. I will try the one mentioned. Thank you all for the knowledge as I am a sponge and taking all I can always Smile

downwardsfromzero
#6 Posted : 11/20/2022 7:14:23 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Another reason not to use ethylene dichloride is its toxicity. It's quite unusual to see it available to the general public so I'm wondering if you perhaps meant methylene dichloride, a.k.a. dichloromethane or DCM. That is also a good solvent for DMT, non-flammable, but still somewhat toxic and the same caveat applies regarding reactivity. It's also heavier than water so you have to remember which layer to collect - and if you've added too many things to the aqueous phase that increase the density, separation becomes difficult and the risk of emulsions is correspondingly higher.

DCM also has a low boiling point [39.6 °C (103.3 °F; 312.8 K)] which can be convenient or a nuisance, depending.

Other solvents more or less commonly encountered might include xylene and ethyl acetate in the water-immiscible realm, and ethanol, isopropanol and acetone being miscible with water, although isopropanol and acetone partially separate from concentrated alkalies.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Nailheadjake
#7 Posted : 12/5/2022 7:04:49 AM

GarkMAUL

Yes I meant ethylene dichloride. Why is it uncommon? I happen to be at my grandpas garage and saw those I mentioned… hood or bad?

Nailheadjake
#8 Posted : 12/5/2022 7:05:52 AM

GarkMAUL

Correction I understand ethylene dichloride =not good

downwardsfromzero
#9 Posted : 12/6/2022 11:24:24 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Nailheadjake wrote:
Correction I understand ethylene dichloride =not good

I'd say the toxicity risks alone make it not worth it, and it may react with the DMT as well. If you were to get into home chemistry, though, it would still be a bit of a treasure to be looked after.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

SpaceTraveller
#10 Posted : 12/7/2022 12:59:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Anyone have experience with antimony trichloride or antimony oxychloride?

Thanks in advance!
http://penelope.uchicago.../moralia/isis_and_osiris*/a.html

It is a fact, Clea, that having a beard and wearing a coarse cloak does not make philosophers, nor does dressing in linen and shaving the hair make votaries of Isis; but the true votary of Isis is he who, when he has legitimately received what is set forth in the ceremonies connected with these gods, uses reason in investigating and in studying the truth contained therein.

Plutarch - On Isis and Osiris

downwardsfromzero
#11 Posted : 12/7/2022 1:39:15 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

SpaceTraveller wrote:
Anyone have experience with antimony trichloride or antimony oxychloride?

Thanks in advance!

Those are not suitable for use as extraction solvents. What on earth led you to believe that they might be?

SpaceTraveller
#12 Posted : 12/7/2022 5:37:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

A very experienced alchemist who has written several books indicated to me that they believed antimony oxychloride to be a solvent that was known to a greco-egyptian alchemist by the name of Zosimos (not necessarily for dmt)

I don't have any stake in whether this is true or not and have no experience with it, hence why I'm asking here.

Can you please explain to me why it would be unsuitable for typical acacia extraction teks?

Thank you
http://penelope.uchicago.../moralia/isis_and_osiris*/a.html

It is a fact, Clea, that having a beard and wearing a coarse cloak does not make philosophers, nor does dressing in linen and shaving the hair make votaries of Isis; but the true votary of Isis is he who, when he has legitimately received what is set forth in the ceremonies connected with these gods, uses reason in investigating and in studying the truth contained therein.

Plutarch - On Isis and Osiris

downwardsfromzero
#13 Posted : 12/7/2022 1:02:12 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

It is unsuitable for extractions other than if you want to use it as a solid substitute for hydrochloric acid. Even that is inadvisible due to the toxicity of the antimony residue. It is in no way a solvent in the sense of being an alternative to the usual non-polar liquids.

There's an element of fundamentals in inorganic chemistry that you would need to learn before proceeding with any of this. The works of F. Sherwood Taylor were my starting point although they are long out of print.

Aquarian_Angel
#14 Posted : 1/1/2023 6:28:23 AM
DMT-Nexus member

So just curious can acetone be used as solvent or not?

Voidmatrix
#15 Posted : 1/1/2023 7:14:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Aquarian_Angel wrote:
So just curious can acetone be used as solvent or not?

This thread can help you answer this question.

One love
What if the "truth" is: the "truth" is indescernible/unknowable/nonexistent? Then the closest we get is through being true to and with ourselves.

Know thyself, nothing in excess, certainty brings insanity- Delphic Maxims

DMT always has something new to show you Twisted Evil

Question everything... including questioning everything... There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
All posts and supposed experiences are from an imaginary interdimensional being. This being has the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. Posts should be taken with a grain of salt. 👽