We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
"Finding medical value in mescaline" Options

Grey Fox
#1 Posted : 10/23/2022 2:46:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Here is an interesting article from the journal Nature. It discusses the current status of mescaline in psychedelic research. According to this article there is some recognition in the psychedelic research / investment world that mescaline has unique characteristics that could make it an an excellent choice for psychedelic therapy. Some companies are moving forward with studying mescaline's medical potential.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-02873-8

I don't know what to think anymore about all of this "Psychedelic Renaissance". At first it was so refreshing to see the broader scientific community soften its stance on these compounds. But as the movement to develop actual treatments has progressed I've grown more and more concerned that this is becoming a big rush to concentrate control and profit into the hands of a few well positioned companies. In addition, it seems that many people want to make a career out of psychedelics. But its all predicated on making the psychedelic experience expensive and highly controlled by gatekeepers. All of this is concerning to me. In the grand scheme of things, I think the Decriminalize Nature folks probably have it right. Just take all the penalties away from growing and possessing these plants, and leave people alone. This big push to patent and monetize the chemicals in these plants and fungi... it all feels very unpsychedelic. Ultimately, the magic of these substances is that they allow You to come face to face with You (and Nature and the Universe) in ways that would otherwise be impossible. They are a human birthright. It shouldn't take a prescription or anyone's approval to access a birthright. And it shouldn't be highly monetized.
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Homo Trypens
#2 Posted : 10/23/2022 5:37:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeSenior Member

I very much agree.

Both with psychedelics and with cannabis, we should ensure that legalisation doesn't leave us little people behind.

I don't have a problem when companies can offer expensive guided psychedelic therapy, but they can't have any sort of monopoly. Weed and psychedelics should be like wine - yeah there are big producers making big bucks, but there's also small ones and private production and they can all operate legally, coexist and fill their respective niches. I'm afraid that's not how the companies envision it.

Mitakuye Oyasin
#3 Posted : 10/25/2022 1:31:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

100% agree. Plants and plant medicine belong to the People, not big business.
Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous.
— Terence McKenna

All my posts are hypothetical and for educational/entertainment purposes, and are not an endorsement of said activities. SWIM (a fictional character based on other people) either obtained a license for said activity, did said activity where it is legal to do so, or as in most cases the activity is completely fictional.

antichode
#4 Posted : 10/29/2022 1:24:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Mescaline certainly has great potential for therapy thanks to its pro social and eye opening effects. It’s also very different at various doseages which would enable a very specific way to target an outcome. Perhaps it’s a case of needing talk therapy and treatment for ptsd, great! 250mg and your on your way. Or perhaps one needs to reassemble who they are and have the top down approach to self awareness, one gram should do it!

The major problem, however is the duration. For the larger doses how on earth can you expect two therapists to be on the job for 12+ hours? The cost would be huge not to mention the fatigue for all involved. I just don’t see how it could work in the current setting.

It would be nice however if we could take a leaf out of the Native American handbook and make group therapy a reality. I feel that mescalines pro social effects are what set it apart from other psychedelics. Then it could be affordable.

The various patent filing and jostling to secure the space is unnerving. However It could also open up new avenues that would otherwise not be available I.e. re designing compounds so that they have a shorter duration, then a company would be well within its right to patent and sell it as a product. Or perhaps custom blends of trichocereus alkaloids (many of which we know very little about). This kind of science can’t happen without money and the cannabis industry is a good example of the positive contribution capital can have to peeling back the layers of the plants true potential.

I for one would love to use higher doses of mescaline but it is just not practical for me at this stage in my life with a young family to provide for, I can’t afford to lose a nights sleep and spend the next day in frazzled cactus land (even though I would like to)

Grey Fox
#5 Posted : 10/30/2022 9:47:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I think that mescaline also holds great potential for solo trippers who want an experience of longer duration. Its a shame that a false dichotomy has emerged in recent years, which divides all psychedelic experiences into 2 categories: therapeutic and recreational. Yet it is very possible to self-reflect and legitimately explore one's own mind independently with these powerful tools. It is very possible to connect with Nature in meaningful ways. Anyone can do this, on their own, or with a small group. At home or in a peaceful, natural setting. One can plant a garden or gaze into the moon. One can have a heart to heart conversation or just hang out. One is not limited. Who is to categorize the value of these various experiences? What need is there to legitimize any of it? Or to seek permission?

Mescaline is a wonderful tool for the independent explorer. Anyone can cultivate the cacti, which live for many decades and always produce more. The journey is long lasting and lucid. It feels incredibly healing. Plants and animals, the clouds and the stars, the whole world is changed. You are in your body, in this world, but all of it is changed. Close your eyes and you can see anything. While it happens write down notes of the lessons it teaches and later look back and see that they hold their power and resonate with clarity.

For the solo explorer these cacti are magic. 12 hour beautiful lucid trips. Seeing it all with unthreatening loving acceptance. They are easy plants to grow. Anyone can do it.
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

antichode
#6 Posted : 10/31/2022 7:47:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

You speak the truth Grey Fox, however it is a schedule 1 controlled substance and that needs to change. The only way forward from there is therapeutic use and clinical studies.