We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
using "Papain" to break down plant proteins... Options

Kazoo...
#1 Posted : 2/15/2010 12:35:23 AM

ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

any thoughts on using "Papain" to help break down the plant proteins of cacti in the initial steps of extractions, to help "free up" up the mesc.?

(Papain - is a proteolytic digestive enzyme derived from the papaya fruit)

"Long ago people learned that papaya latex is a very effective meat tenderizer. Tough meat was wrapped in fresh leaves for several hours to make it tender. The active tenderizing ingredient is a protein-digesting enzyme called papain, which is very similar to human stomach pepsin.

Interestingly, some of the early, crude studies of plant protein structure were made by digesting the proteins into pieces with the use of papain."

just a thought, anybody got any feed back?
Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see....

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Phlux-
#2 Posted : 2/15/2010 9:03:21 AM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

interesting idea - i got many papaya trees in my garden so it would be nice if it worked - never have issues with cactus proteins tho.
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

Kazoo...
#3 Posted : 2/16/2010 5:32:35 AM

ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

yeah i was digging around in the medicine cabinet for some citric acid and i came across a bottle of papain, got me thinking. im sure you could apply it to other plant proteins, like say barks as well. but like you said phlux im not sure if its even necessary...

Infundibulum
#4 Posted : 2/16/2010 10:33:14 AM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Kazoo... wrote:
any thoughts on using "Papain" to help break down the plant proteins of cacti in the initial steps of extractions, to help "free up" up the mesc.?

(Papain - is a proteolytic digestive enzyme derived from the papaya fruit)

"Long ago people learned that papaya latex is a very effective meat tenderizer. Tough meat was wrapped in fresh leaves for several hours to make it tender. The active tenderizing ingredient is a protein-digesting enzyme called papain, which is very similar to human stomach pepsin.

Interestingly, some of the early, crude studies of plant protein structure were made by digesting the proteins into pieces with the use of papain."

just a thought, anybody got any feed back?

so how do you know it is proteins that cause the elasticity and gooeyness in the cactus?

It could be polysaccharides, like heparan sulfate or other proteoglycans that are responsible for the water retention and goo-formation. In fact, it would make more sense from a plant and evolutionary perspective for the plant to use polysaccharides to achieve water retention. It is most often animal tissues that use proteins to make water-retentive matrices from proteins (or polypeptides) like elastins and collagens. In contrast, plant tissues tend to use polysaccharides to make the same matrices, see agar derived from seaweeds.

It is still worth the try the papain but I wouldn't put my money on that.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

Kazoo...
#5 Posted : 2/16/2010 8:12:02 PM

ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

Well Infundibulum you do make a interesting point, on further thought it might be better to use a Glucosidases or a Cellulase to break down the polysaccharides/starch chains since we are using plants....

...not sure if i have those floating around in the medicine cabinet though...Wink

Infundibulum
#6 Posted : 2/16/2010 8:18:19 PM

ModeratorChemical expert

Kazoo... wrote:
Well Infundibulum you do make a interesting point, on further thought it might be better to use a Glucosidases or a Cellulase to break down the polysaccharides/starch chains since we are using plants....

...not sure if i have those floating around in the medicine cabinet though...Wink

Whoa, good luck trying to find a enzyme that digests the wanted goo-forming substances!Sugars are extremely diverse in structure, both as monomers and polymers. Compared to proteins, sugars are a helluva more complicated in structure and their chemistry and thus require specific enzymes to break them down. Proteins on the other hand can be digested with a variety of proteolytic enzymes

But giving it a second thought, proteases may actually help and the experiment is worth trying. The cactus goo may use small proteins to stabilise the structure, this is quite common. Maybe lysing these proteins will get rid the gooeyness to a fair extent!

69ron
#7 Posted : 2/16/2010 8:28:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have two words: EGG WHITES

They work for mimosa. They work for wine. They will probably work for cacti as well. They bind to proteins and other crap, and then they form precipitates and can be easily filtered out.

Give it a try. Follow the steps used for clearing soup stock.

I think heat, even boiling water, is detrimental to mescaline though. All of SWIM's tests showed this to be the case.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Espiridion
#8 Posted : 2/16/2010 10:13:43 PM

--who.??..ME??--

Am I missing something or is Calcium Hydroxide as used in the N.T.M.E. tek not useful for this? Are its freebasing properties unwanted in this instance?

Also, my understanding is that if a plant is 'creating' some particular chemical structure, it is using the same enzyme that breaks it apart to do so. They create as well as uncreate. So, perhaps the trick is finding a way to get that enzyme out. Perhaps another species makes more of that particular enzyme. Perhaps a bacterium or even insect produces it to digest cactus tissue as food. Nature has certainly shown us stranger things. I mean come on, like the OP said, we use a fruit to dissolve cowflesh!

Are eggwhites known to contain enzymes or is there another type of reaction goin on there? Just curious.

Aside: I understand that Army Ants secrete an enzyme powerful enough to dissolve any organic tissue, including the hard shells of turtles, for instance. Nature always has a way. Its just finding it that is the tricky part. Serendipity, anyone?

Espiridion
Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens. Carl Jung

69ron
#9 Posted : 2/16/2010 11:20:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Egg whites bind to the proteins, they don’t destroy them. They make them insoluble and easy to filter out. SWIM never tried it with cactus though, because you need to bring the solution to a boil in order to precipitate the proteins. Heat and cacti are not good together.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Infundibulum
#10 Posted : 2/17/2010 12:44:21 AM

ModeratorChemical expert

Egg whites is basically a protein mass (mainly albumin) that denaturates as it boils and coagulates. Upon coagulation it will also carry over other proteins that are in its surroundings.

Espiridion wrote:
Also, my understanding is that if a plant is 'creating' some particular chemical structure, it is using the same enzyme that breaks it apart to do so. They create as well as uncreate. So, perhaps the trick is finding a way to get that enzyme out.

This is only partly true, in theory enzymes catalyse one reaction as well as the reverse reaction but they do so at different rates. Usually the "forward" and "reverse" reaction have different kinetics (as well as different "activation" energies) and most often only one happens.

DNA polymerases does not degrade DNA, nucleases do. Ribosomes make proteins, they do not degrade them; proteases do. Phosphorylases phosphorylate proteins but dephosphorylases dephosphorylate them, and so on.

69ron
#11 Posted : 2/17/2010 1:42:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Infundibulum wrote:
Egg whites is basically a protein mass (mainly albumin) that denaturates as it boils and coagulates. Upon coagulation it will also carry over other proteins that are in its surroundings.

The other proteins stick to the egg whites and basically get trapped when it coagulates. It works REALLY WELL for soup stock and wine. I've seen soup stock go from thick and cloudy, to completely clear after using the egg white trick.

They are also used to clarify mimosa extracts, making mimosa based ayahuasca much easier on the stomach.

Give it a try. It might work way better than you expect.

Espiridion
#12 Posted : 2/17/2010 4:17:11 AM

--who.??..ME??--

Thanks to both of you for that information. Informative and useful. Very happy

E
Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens. Carl Jung

Kazoo...
#13 Posted : 2/18/2010 11:16:03 PM

ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

i think more thought should be given to beneficial enzyme actions, especially ones that alter glycosides, i wonder how an enzyme might alter say a HBWR or Acorus calamus extraction, possibly breaking up some toxic components....