We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT»
The "Deem" Thing - It shouldn't bother me, but it does! Options

idtravlr
#1 Posted : 2/14/2010 11:24:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Am I the only one who finds the terms "Deemers", "Deemsters", "Deem", and the such to be horribly offensive? Errr... I guess it's just a pet peeve of mine, but I just HATE seeing those terms on the Nexus. It sounds all dirty and druggie like... Like "crack head" or "tweaker", and brings up images of weird, freaky clubber types. It also makes me feel like the Nexus is getting watered down by these terms in some way. Save those stupid terms for the big generic drug sites, but keep 'em off of here!

I am purely just vocalizing my opinion here, and I'm not intentionally trying to offend anyone on this site who may use these terms. It just happens to really bother me. Sorry if this brings any negative vibes.

Peace,
-idt
I am not a drug addict seeking escape from reality. I am an explorer of consciousness challenging consensus reality.

…is DMT dangerous? The answer is only if you fear death by astonishment… [crowd laughter]… Remember how you laughed when this possibility was raised… a moment will come that will wipe the smile right off your face.
-Terence McKenna

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

The Traveler
#2 Posted : 2/14/2010 11:32:06 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

You are not the only one idtravlr...

I too find the word deemster a horrible thing and it hurts me when I see it.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

sunshineandsmiles
#3 Posted : 2/14/2010 11:37:29 PM

Sol-Id

Fair play folks. I don't really like the word 'drug' because of some of the connotations that word carries. I prefer the word 'medicine' because that is what they are, and it reminds me to respect them as such.

Any language promoting a recreational usage really bothers me too.
TIME WILL TELL...

#4 Posted : 2/14/2010 11:48:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Iv'e seem it in two posts now and it makes me feel separate from those that use it - like they're having a very different experience, because I would never describe it using this terminology. It grates me, seriously. Like, lets all hang out, "deemsters" ... ugh
"at journey's end, we must begin again"

Shpongle
#5 Posted : 2/15/2010 12:04:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'd like to comment...through the epic tale of song...
J/K

(listening to folk music right now)Wink

..But seriously someone asked me to differentiate between Psychedelics and hallucinogen for them a few days ago, whilst we were peering downward on some mushrooms...and I didn't really want to answer.

It seemed like he wanted to determine which sub group one would commonly fit into when they referred to either as something different. And just now reading a thread about Bufo being nothing like DMT at all, I thought right there is the juxtaposition.

So similar and to the layman one and the same, with all too subtle differences, on the experience level, one has to go into the room to see the shade of the sunlight against the wall. That's a thought from left field, (folk music) but with some experience its like reading a giant book, which all comes together when its been read. All the pieces fit into your mind and you see things for what they are...and I think this is what this person is trying to say when they use the moniker "Deemed" or whichever sort of twist they want to put on it.

Some people get really enthusiastic about DMT and I'm talking about its something that they've never ever thought they would be able to have. You know? I think that's all I have to say
A great deal of meditation is required

Fear the Journey not the cops

FunFUnFUN

clouds
#6 Posted : 2/15/2010 12:10:47 AM

Human

I have seen that many people refer to DMT with that term on many websites...

I don't think "deem" is a nice word to refer to DMT either, but I don't fully comprehend why is it better to refer to DMT with terms such as "spice" or in some mixtures "changa" or even "jimjam"...

Please understand that I English is not my first language and I have not smoked / ingested DMT.
"Changa" means female monkey in Spanish and it colloquial mexican conversations can refer to female reproductive parts, so my perception on that term is influenced.

Am I missing something about the differentiation between "spice"/"deem"?

It's difficult to me see the difference between:

"This Spice is potent" and "This Deem is potent" ...

but not if someone says "This DMT is potent" or "This Dimethyltryptamine is potent"

Felnik
#7 Posted : 2/15/2010 12:24:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't like the term myself.
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke

http://vimeo.com/32001208

The Traveler
#8 Posted : 2/15/2010 12:26:46 AM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

To answer you Clouds:

Spice often refers to Sci-Fi epic Dune where it plays a very important and sacred role. Deemster however is what you here at times when you attend a festival and people try to sell you DMT: "Hey... Deemster! You wanna get high? Buy deemster!"

So spice has a good reference while deemster has a dirty dealer connection.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

universecannon
#9 Posted : 2/15/2010 12:28:09 AM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

It would definitely get annoying if the word became common on the nexus. I don't really mind the word, its just that i think it implies more reckless use of dmt in the context that its usually used, atleast in my encounters with it on forums and out in the world. To give you an idea..people in a frat around here occasionally smoke "deemster" for nothing but a good time..

clouds wrote:

Am I missing something about the differentiation between "spice"/"deem"?

It's difficult to me see the difference between:

"This Spice is potent" and "This Deem is potent" ...

but not if someone says "This DMT is potent" or "This Dimethyltryptamine is potent"

Maybe when some people see the word "deemster" they automatically think of "demon"?
Good point trav, deemster is definitely used more often by dealers.

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

benzyme
#10 Posted : 2/15/2010 12:31:04 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

it seems like a term only n00bs use, and it is associated with buying/selling.
to other members who've been familiar with dmt for a while, "deem"/"deemster"/"deemers" are not in their vocabulary.

really annoying to hear it Confused
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

soulfood
#11 Posted : 2/15/2010 12:33:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

It's all a matter of language.

Deemster's goofy, DMT is sterile and spice is pop culture.

The only really appropriate term is "the light" Smile

Then again it's not what you say but the way you say it.

Pokey
#12 Posted : 2/15/2010 12:39:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I figured I was just the old guy that wasn't hip.....

Nah, just kidding. I really don't those terms for some reason. Seems disrespectful in some way.

Just an old guy's opinion though.

Pokey the Decrepit

benzyme
#13 Posted : 2/15/2010 12:39:46 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

deemster isn't just goofy, it's plain stupid.
never heard it from anyone who extracts their own dmt and shares with others.
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Pandora
#14 Posted : 2/15/2010 12:46:23 AM

Got Naloxone?

Welcoming committeeSenior Member

Hi Folks,

I'll take a stab at devil's advocate on this one:

It is a term I am aware of but choose not to use. It's just a term. Langauges change/evolve, in particular the English language. This change is often driven by the young.

I do find the trend speculated on in George Orwell's, "1984," toward shortening of terminology to be slightly worrisome, but I cannot explain why. In 1984, a prime example would be that The Ministry of Love was MiniLove. This trend is here (e.g. tek for technique/tecchnology), although the Nexus people do seem to prefer acronyms (FASA) and outright abbreviations (MHRB), and I too find these to be convenient for rapid communication.

Is it perhaps that it seems disrecpectful somehow, makes it sound like a party drug to be purchased from a street dealer? According to whom? Seems to me that the term "spice" (I have read ALL of the Dune books over six times) can imply a way to make a party more interesting or exotic. When I first told my brother about the term "jungle spice," he was angry and was convinced it had a rascist connotation or origin. Language and the way that people interpret it is a very presonal thing.

I think the way to preserve the integrity of the language of the Nexus is to simply ignore people who use terms that somehow personally offend us. Also, let's never, ever use those terms ourselves, regardless of the context. Again, it is just a term. The true meaning to be found within N,N Dimethyltryptamine can be remarkable, individual, intimate, profound and in many ways indescribable by any use of language . . .

Peace & Love,
Pandora
"But even if nothing lasts and everything is lost, there is still the intrinsic value of the moment. The present moment, ultimately, is more than enough, a gift of grace and unfathomable value, which our friend and lover death paints in stark relief."
-Rick Doblin, Ph.D. MAPS President, MAPS Bulletin Vol. XX, No. 1, pg. 2

Hyperspace LOVES YOU

idtravlr
#15 Posted : 2/15/2010 12:54:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The Traveler wrote:
To answer you Clouds:

Spice often refers to Sci-Fi epic Dune where it plays a very important and sacred role. Deemster however is what you here at times when you attend a festival and people try to sell you DMT: "Hey... Deemster! You wanna get high? Buy deemster!"

So spice has a good reference while deemster has a dirty dealer connection.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Bang! Smack dab on the spot Traveler. I associate the whole "Deem" thing with the current effort to make this sacred herbal extract into a club / party type of drug. As someone else said, I think it's disrespectful to everything that the substance is and represents. At the risk of being too strong here, to me the whole "deemster" dialect represents desecration of this gift.

Clouds - On a more abstract language level, I also think the phrases "I'm a deemster", or "I'm a deemer" suggests ownership and control of the substance. Like it's ours to use and abuse, rather than it being a gift and privilege. The terminology "Spice" for example simply just refers to the substance, but doesn't suggest control of it. I don't know how to explain it really, but it just feels wrong on many levels for me.

Peace,
-idt
I am not a drug addict seeking escape from reality. I am an explorer of consciousness challenging consensus reality.

…is DMT dangerous? The answer is only if you fear death by astonishment… [crowd laughter]… Remember how you laughed when this possibility was raised… a moment will come that will wipe the smile right off your face.
-Terence McKenna

VisualDistortion
#16 Posted : 2/15/2010 1:06:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Labels and words form perception, and perception is reality. I have given a little thought to the word deem or deemster, but I guess it really doesn't bother me. I see how it could bother you guys if it conveys the perception that DMT is a recreational or party drug.
You lock the door, and throw away the key

There's someone in my head but it's not me

idtravlr
#17 Posted : 2/15/2010 1:20:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Pandora wrote:
Hi Folks,

I'll take a stab at devil's advocate on this one:

It is a term I am aware of but choose not to use. It's just a term. Langauges change/evolve, in particular the English language. This change is often driven by the young.

I do find the trend speculated on in George Orwell's, "1984," toward shortening of terminology to be slightly worrisome, but I cannot explain why. In 1984, a prime example would be that The Ministry of Love was MiniLove. This trend is here (e.g. tek for technique/tecchnology), although the Nexus people do seem to prefer acronyms (FASA) and outright abbreviations (MHRB), and I too find these to be convenient for rapid communication.

Is it perhaps that it seems disrecpectful somehow, makes it sound like a party drug to be purchased from a street dealer? According to whom? Seems to me that the term "spice" (I have read ALL of the Dune books over six times) can imply a way to make a party more interesting or exotic. When I first told my brother about the term "jungle spice," he was angry and was convinced it had a rascist connotation or origin. Language and the way that people interpret it is a very presonal thing.

I think the way to preserve the integrity of the language of the Nexus is to simply ignore people who use terms that somehow personally offend us. Also, let's never, ever use those terms ourselves, regardless of the context. Again, it is just a term. The true meaning to be found within N,N Dimethyltryptamine can be remarkable, individual, intimate, profound and in many ways indescribable by any use of language . . .

Peace & Love,
Pandora

Ahh Pandora. Always the voice of reason. Smile And you're right. Of all the things that DMT has taught me, being tolerant is certainly a big one. Where I struggle, is when it feels like desecration, it's hard to be as tolerant. The paradox here however, is the same paradox that we find in religion and politics right? The fact that if a symbol or principle or object has GENUINE value of what it represents, it has to be able to withstand the very antithesis of what it stands for. Right? So, I suppose I shall be more tolerant, but that doesn't mean I have to like it! :evil: Wink

-Terence McKenna

benzyme
#18 Posted : 2/15/2010 1:25:18 AM

analytical chemist

but would one be tolerant of a friend spewing curse words in front of one's children?

Wink

after all, they're only words

ohayoco
#19 Posted : 2/15/2010 1:43:23 AM
DMT-Nexus member

What does getting het up about people calling DMT 'deem' do for the molecule's reputation? Could it make us look precious?

It's not an offensive term in itself so I don't mind. "Crack LSD" is worse! Was DMT called spice before Dune was written, because if not couldn't that make DMT sound addictive and deadly? Yet lots of people here call it spice (I'm not saying you shouldn't).

Surprised Very happy Wink

P.s. who is it that calls it "The Light"? That's a nice name.
Everything I write is fictional roleplay. Obviously! End tribal genocide: www.survival-international.org Quick petitions for meaningful change: www.avaaz.org/en/
End prohibition: www.leap.cc www.tdpf.org.uk And "Feeling Good" by David D.Burns MD is a very useful book.

benzyme
#20 Posted : 2/15/2010 1:52:07 AM

analytical chemist

ohayoco wrote:
who is it that calls it "The Light"? That's a nice name.

there's a brazilian word for psychotria that loosely translates to "the light". Caapi is "the force".

123NEXT»