We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
USING OF THF (TETRAHYDROFURANE) Options

kemist
#1 Posted : 12/13/2009 11:02:46 PM

John

ILPT found somewhere bottle of THF which is very good solvent. It dissolving many things well has a fairly low boiling point and evaporating rather quickly.

Question is for what extraction it would be suitable. Can any chemist bring some inputs please?
As a kemist I never met ILPT in physical form and never talk to him. He share his wisdom, trough my mind, telepathicly only. Please don`t prosecute me, for his possible illegal activities. He is bonkers about chemistry and doesn`t even exist in this primitive reality !!!

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

fourthripley
#2 Posted : 12/13/2009 11:06:15 PM
DMT-Nexus member

No chemist, but I believe THF can be very dangerous- ie. death- in the wrong hands.
mistakes were made

kemist
#3 Posted : 12/13/2009 11:39:50 PM

John

fourthripley wrote:
No chemist, but I believe THF can be very dangerous- ie. death- in the wrong hands.

That`s what I`ve thought hen used work with it. There were somr myths about it concerning hepatotoxicity but then I couldn`t find anythhig to backup this worries

like wiki entry claiming THF is relatively safe
wiki wrote:
THF is considered a relatively nontoxic solvent, with the median lethal dose (LD50) comparable to that for acetone. Reflecting its remarkable solvent properties, it penetrates the skin causing rapid dehydration. THF readily dissolves latex and is typically handled with nitrile or neoprene rubber gloves. It is highly flammable.

The greatest danger posed by THF follows from its tendency to form highly-explosive peroxides on storage in air. To minimize this problem, commercial samples of THF are often inhibited with BHT. THF should not be distilled to dryness, because the explosive peroxides concentrate in the residue.
As a kemist I never met ILPT in physical form and never talk to him. He share his wisdom, trough my mind, telepathicly only. Please don`t prosecute me, for his possible illegal activities. He is bonkers about chemistry and doesn`t even exist in this primitive reality !!!

benzyme
#4 Posted : 12/17/2009 5:48:54 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

yes it is miscible with water.
it's a polar solvent

THF is fairly safe, just don't drink it (obviously)

if ILPT can get it, use toluene as the nonpolar solvent
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

#5 Posted : 12/18/2009 1:36:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Make THF into GBL then drink it instead

kemist
#6 Posted : 12/18/2009 1:40:00 AM

John

Well he was thinking to pull from semiwet stb using calcium hydroxide as base and dry with epsom. He is keen what sort of jungle he will dig out. He ran out of dcm and wanna stay out of chlorinated but the everdissolving power of dcm is hard to substitute with nonchlorinated solvents. THF seemed to be a good adept Wink

shoe
#7 Posted : 12/19/2009 4:27:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

1992 wrote:
Make THF into GBL then drink it instead

If your fast you can still order some GBL (it becomes illegal on the 23rd of december in the UK)
I suspect it is allready illegal in the US although CBA to check
shoe

ॐ भूर्भुव: स्व: तत्सवितुर्वरेण्यं । भर्गो देवस्य धीमहि, धीयो यो न: प्रचोदयात्
Love, Gratittude, Compassion, Fearlessness!